Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411520 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 02:41:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)CreativeWritingHelp on more detail for my story?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Help on more detail for my story?  (Read 2448 times)
Bishop
Level 2

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2011, 04:23:43 PM »

I'm currently creating a co-op platformer. I'm also trying to tell the story entirely without words. However I've gotten a little stuck when it comes to the finer details.

Currently you and your buddy play as two robot televisions gone rogue, fighting against other recycled objects (toasters, vending machines, etc). So the main baddie is the recycling plant itself, as for motivation I can only think of cliches:

You're fighting because you don't want to be recycled yourself and possibly have a message about consumerism?

You're fighting to save the world from the evil robots who want to recycle everything?

You're fighting because your girlfriend television got recycled?

You're fighting against the recycling plant because you've broadcast fox news too much have become a extreme right wing conservative nut? (Bit hard to explain this visually)

I'd greatly appreciate any ideas you can give me for a cool beginning to my story.

namragog
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 06:25:07 PM »

The recycling plant runs on nuclear power and does not realize it is leaking deadly radiation into the surrounding area. You don't want people to die from radiation poisoning.

Plus a gameplay element!
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 10:21:07 PM »

The robots could use their techs to dig underground and exploit ressources to create weapons

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:39:23 PM »

You fight because its fun.

SundownKid
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 01:34:42 PM »

I think that fighting because recycling somehow "brainwashes" the other appliances would be your best bet. The televisions could be some old, retro TV sets that don't want to lose their character to a Steve Jobs-esque recycled minimalist army of flat screens, iPods and such.

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 11:03:36 PM »

You fight because its fun.
I like this one.

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 12:08:22 PM »

Very first thing that popped into mind when I read your premise was Charlton Heston shouting "Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!"

I realize it's way too late to really reply, but it seemed to fit with the idea of recycling living beings.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 03:03:29 AM »

Love the idea for the game. Even though it might not be particularly 'in-depth', I think escaping recycling plant - because, hey, who wants to be recycled? - is good enough. ON THE OTHER HAND, you could add in a deep moral conundrum for the toaster: do you escape, and save yourself but hurt the environment, or allow yourself to be recycled, perishing but doing a good deed?

I'm... not quite sure how serious that suggestion is. But there you go. Regardless, it's already a more sophisticated moral system than Bioshock.

S.Laser
Level 0

Ars longa, vita brevis

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 06:54:26 PM »

You are fighting to destroy the recycling plant in order to increase pollution, and eventually destroy all organic life. Thus appliances would no longer be forced to serve humans, and would take their place as the rightful masters of the world.
Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 11:13:09 PM »

Reminds me of the Brave Little Toaster.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic