Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411803 Posts in 69416 Topics- by 58462 Members - Latest Member: Moko1910

May 28, 2024, 07:22:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperAudioHello, hello! I'm looking for some critiques. (Chiptune(ish) music)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hello, hello! I'm looking for some critiques. (Chiptune(ish) music)  (Read 1199 times)
lofiai
Level 0

View Profile
« on: August 25, 2011, 12:35:03 PM »

Hey hey, I'm the new guy. Smiley

I've recently started getting comfortable with music composition(so I think... Shocked) and i'm looking for some critiques. I want to improve myself so any constructive criticism is welcome. Looking for to hearing from you guys and gals.

Thanks in advanced!

I have three songs that I feel comfortable with:

Chippy Chips -

Starry Sky -

Solar System - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ybc6avPn6OQ
Core Xii
Level 10

the resident dissident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 04:32:36 PM »

First critique: Don't host audio on YouTube; It's for video.
lofiai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 08:57:26 PM »

Do you have any suggestions on hosting? I currently have a Soundcloud... would that have been a better option? But I uploaded on YouTube because it seemed like a good option. While I do see that YouTube is a video hosting site, audio has its place amongst the website as well. In fact, a few of my favorite musicians post their original songs on YouTube.

Thanks for the reply!
Traikan
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 10:13:58 PM »

Soundcloud has quite a few nice features, but a free account limits you to 2 hours of music in total. If that's not an issue, go with Soundcloud! It's awesome.

If, on the other hand, you want to upload a ton of stuff, Tindeck is a good site. There's a 10mb limit per file and no overall cap.

I'm pressed for time right now so I'll just comment on one of your songs, Chippy Chips.

It's very heavy on the panning oscillators and the bitcrush effect (not sure if that's the technical term). I like it from 1:15 to the end, but the stuff before that is all over the place. Basically (and this is still something I'm struggling with) the main melody of your song should LEAP OUT at the listener and say "CHECK ME OUT, I'M AWESOME." There's no single trick to doing that, but just keep an eye out. Or an ear out.

lofiai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 08:23:17 AM »

Thanks for the suggestions on hosting! Tindeck looks very appealing to me at the moment. I'll give that a shot next time. And thank you for the comment on Chippy Chips. I'll give the bit crush less of a punch. Also, I agree that the beginning is all over the place(My fault, I was being too playful with the song, hehe.) I'll try my best to work on bringing out a main melody, make it more memorable. It is indeed a hard process to overcome. Cheesy

Thanks again for the reply!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:43:48 AM by lofiai » Logged
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:52:35 AM »

Aren't the songs that you're not-yet-comfortable with specifically where you want (or could use) the most feedback?

Solar system is a little bit too distortion-heavy during the first 30 seconds or so, but the way it mellows out more in the latter parts is nifty. It's not bad for being deliberatlely Lo-Fi (as your channel name points out), although it does feel like one more accenting layer of... something would round it out better. Like the lo-fi equivalent of an organ or something.

On a complete tangent, did you do those snappy illustrations in the vids, too? It's good quality for a couple of... gay-loli-twin-sister-lovers? o.o'

lofiai
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 08:07:31 AM »

Thanks for the reply, baconman!

Hehe, by comfortable I mean... the song is in a form that you can listen to. I'm working on a few more songs (I like to show them off in batches, maybe I should change that up.) I'm going to look into Solar System to soften up that heavy accented part you were talking about. I'll try out some organ too!

Thank you! As for the illustrations, they are by Yuuki Tatsuya. The pictures I have used are wallpapers from another webpage. Love his work!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic