Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411511 Posts in 69375 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 03:06:25 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingBlumenmacht
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blumenmacht  (Read 5857 times)
urs
Level 0

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2007, 01:36:38 AM »

Welcome to my project Blumenmacht! I have worked on the game over the last two years. Hopefully you can feel some of the love and enthusiasm that went into Blumenmacht. I'm looking forward to hear your opinions! You can download my game here!

Blumenmacht is a unique mixture of shoot'em up and memory gameplay. The nonviolent game comes with a colourful flower power theme and is controlled only with the mouse. You can play nine levels on three different difficulty settings.

In Blumenmacht Ballerinas are joining a flowerpower pogo dance. You are in control of the Ballerina who takes the leading part. She is the Prima Ballerina.
To win a dance your Prima Ballerina has to throw flowers at the other Ballerinas until they are all happy. They try to do the same with your Prima Ballerina. But if they succeed and your Prima Ballerina is happy, you lost the dance.
During a dance you can always choose which Ballerina should take the leading part of the Prima Ballerina.

Watch a gameplay video

!

Take a look at my Blumenmacht developer journal here!
ravuya
Level 7

Yip yip yip yip yip

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »

I actually suggested this in another thread as a future game for TigSource to cover.

Steve Swink
Swank
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »

Your game gave my brain a heart attack.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

Really fantastic visual style, wonderful job there.  Unfortunately, I was only able to experience it as a video - perhaps it doesn't play well with multimonitor setups?  It's completely unplayable for me.  Framerate = 1-5fps consistently, even at the menu. It took me a minute to click on 'Play.' PM me if you want a dxdiag.

Love the style, would love to play the game! 

- Steve

Steve Swink
Game Designer, Enemy Airship
Content Director, IGF
sswink (at) enemyairship(dot) com
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 08:00:44 PM »

The game is fucking gorgeous.

I really wish I knew what I was doing, though Sad

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
xix
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 08:03:59 PM »

Let me post a better reply though:

The game is really intriguing for two reasons: it's gorgeous, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Oh wait, no, the real second reason is that it's different.

The problem is that it's so different that I can't really tell what's going on. And there are some confusing things...

The framing of the game is really awkward. It's just hard to focus. There are so many colors and you can't tell what they all mean. That and the menus and HUDs and status effects are all impossible to read in motion. There's just too much going on, and it's hard to get a grasp.

Maybe I need a little more handholding...

Get the demo itch.io
Follow @lunarsignals on twitter
urs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 10:48:55 PM »

Thanks for your impressions! You are totally right. Being different is as well the game's biggest advantage as it is the biggest disadvantage. You can't just jump in and play it like a shoot'em up. To be a successfull Blumenmacht player you need your imagination. Two examples:

1) As you can take control of each Ballerina, there are no real enemies in Blumenmacht. Fleeing from a more talented Ballerina is for example a bad idea. Just turn the tables! Left click her and let her become your new Prima Ballerina.

2) After you stopped time with a right mouse click catch a Ballerina (hold left mouse key) and move her through flowers to make her happy. This would be as if Neo would move his opponents through bullets while time is slowed down in the matrix. In Blumenmacht this is called "blossom time".

For some time I tried to make Blumenmacht a game for the casual game market. While the game is much more accessible than at the beginning, I reached a point where I couldn't go further. I wanted the game to be different, weird or quirky. And i planned overstimulation.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2007, 11:19:09 AM »

Hello there!
Very interesting game you have there.
I write alot (at leats used to) of critic about artowrk over 2d boards and I usualy use a straight forward way to explain what I think about the featured work. It's the first time I ever critic a game so, it may be a bit ackward. If there's something that isn't clear, tell me and I'll try to make it more understandable. Ok so here we go!

The bad part first:

First thing that strikes me is that the game is very condensed: there's a whole lot of things going on at the same time and it's hard to tell what we're supposed to look at. For example, the menu screen is quite crowded. our eye is going accross the screen all the time trying to find the information we need, kinda like searching for Waldo. I finaly found the music slider after 5 games.

The most important thing in a game is the player's representation, avatar if you will. Here, I incarnate a cat trying to make ballerinas dance together. I easily loose my avatar because of the flowers, powerups, background effects and other stuff that appear before my eyes. The colors of the cat blend easily with the rest. I got used to this because of the chain but the more I touched talents, the less I saw my chain. I actually had to take a time off once I connected to something to make sure I knew exactly where I was.

Speaking of confusion, the letter "i" and "l" are easily confused when you try to read the word under a ballerina. When zoomed in, there's not much trouble but it made my eyes squint trying to figure out which letter it was. It's not much a problem with words like "Lnna" or "Guai" but a namme like "alia" or "Liai" causes trouble. Also, flower effects cover the letters when you're trying to read them and it's kind of annoying.

The camera shifts easilly back and forth. May it be the shaking when trying to unlock my avatar position to another lement or when something new is showing up. I feel like, since the avatar is the most important thing, the camara should be centered on it. This way, we know where we are since we always have a fixed position and it will remove the swaving camera, in my opinion. I may not necessarily work: since we are moving around the game area, centering the avatar might make it ackward. It's the kinda thing that needs to be researched, I believe.

When we're at the stage of clicking the letters to enter the new ballerina's name, I feel like the lack of cursor makes things more akward. It's not a major issue but it adds to the frustration level. One slight movement of the wrist and you might miss-click.

The butterfly showing us where to go is quite interesting but we loose it too easily. At first, I couldn't see it. I was focusing too much on the surroundings than on it. Maybe making it a bit bigger and more unique in terms of graphical representation would help. Or maybe, if the avatr becomes centered, having the butterfly "rotate" around the avatar. the butterfly will then always be in the same circle making it easier to spot. Of course, that's not workin' out if the avatar is not centered. 

Another issue with the clarity of the game. The HUD info placed on the top right corner feels a bit too cramped up: I didn't notice what the elements were before I actually took a closer look. Also, I feel like the information is not that easily communicated to the player. I feel like we have to take at leats a second to see what's going on, unfocusing our sight off the actualy game. I think that shouldn't be. This info should be accessible in a flick of an eye. It's already very graphic so I don't think you'll have much problem fixing it.

The music felt a bit too high pitched to my taste. Not very bad but enough to be annoying after a couple of minutes. Of course, I lowered the music to fix the problem but still, I feel like I shouldn't have to turned down the volume because it's getting on my nerve: I should do it for thousands of other reasons.

In a totaly other vein of idea, I feel like my motivation sin't clear. What's my goal? What am I doing in thhe game area? Is my goal to make everyone happy? Is it to dance? Score points? Grab talent? Like mentionned earlier in previous post, the game might be too unclear as of it's current state. I've played numerous times and I can't get the same result twice. I always use the same "plan of action" and it differs every time. You have to make sure that the primary goal of the game is made clear before everything else. The rest will come naturaly. In the gaming world, the standard in goal is points or money. You have a point reward system implemented. Is this the fundation of the game's goal? If so, how do we score? If not, what's it's use? Oh and for your information, my "plan of action" was to simply click the first thing in sight, type the name and wait. Dunno why, I sometimes win, sometimes loose. I got 6 bronze and 6 silver medals with this.

Another thing I didn't quite understand is why being happy makes me loose? I direct my ballerina, she get's happy but I loose because she's too happy... So, is the ultimate goal of the game is to make everyone happy? How can I do such thing? I should be able to find the answered to this question myself while playing. Sure there's a tutorial, but even after I went through the lesson, I couldn't find my "raison d'ĂȘtre" within the present game world.

Last little thing: insert a confirmation on quitting the agme. Clicking the menu or pressing escape while in the game area automaticaly send you back to the menu screen without asking you anything. Just a simple "Quit? Yes, No" thing would do the trick.

And now, the good! :D

I love the originality. It's very unique and interesting. No enemies, no destruction, dancing and a fat man named Pogo! Wink Seriously the concept is coming out nicely and has alot of potential.

The representation of your ideas are very well created. The happy shiny colors makes evrything feel like it's candy and makes throwing flowers around for the sheer pleasure of it logical. You might even say that the game could be like going on a very non-violent and child-like drug trip, but I won't say it Wink. A bit too much colors but nothing that you can't fix.

The game is almost making me feel like I'm actually creating music while doing something else. Is there anything plan with this concept? I really enjoyed it. Kinda like giving a goal to "Electroplankton".

I like the way you are trying to give us alot on the screen. Although a bit too crowded, the game gives us a lot for very little. The slightest action within the game area rewards us with tons of rotating and growing flowers. Very nice!

Technicaly speaking, I like on how steady the game is. You can easily adjust your settings (once you find where to go) and you can cancel an unwanted action with ease, such as exiting the ballerian's name entry.

Hmmm... I hope I'm not being too harsh. I just want to help. I wish to see this project grow! Wink

Take care and keep up the good work!
Guert

urs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2007, 12:16:09 AM »

Thanks for taking the time to write such an extensive critique of my game Guert. I like it because it is constructive and you really played the game. Six silver medals is actually quite good.
Although I can understand most of your points, some of the things that might confuse the player are wanted. I don't want everything to be clear from the beginning. I want the player to use his imagination and to be an explorer in the world of Blumenmacht. But you are right, making the game more readable is an important task for the future.
In my opinion the immediate motivation should be given. In the menu Pogo tells you to finish all amateur dances to become a pro ballerina. And below you can read the number of ballerinas you have to make happy to finish the actual dance. You are right insofar that there should be some kind of meta goal like becoming a star ballerina.
For a future version of Blumenmacht your critique will be very valuable!
Urs
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 01:21:43 AM by urs » Logged
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2007, 06:04:38 AM »

It was a pleasure to help you.
I understand what you mean by exploring the game. I believe it's a great idea and is very crucial to make the game entertaining, as long as the primary goals and basic fundamental reasons for the game are loud and clear while playing.

Well, I hope to see further iterations!
Take care!
Guert

urs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 06:13:04 AM »

I actually suggested this in another thread as a future game for TigSource to cover.

You were also the one who proposed me in my journal at gamedev.net to post Blumenmacht here at the TIGSource forums.
Thanks, Ravuya!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 06:14:46 AM by urs » Logged
urs
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2007, 05:38:32 AM »

If Blumenmacht crashes, please try the following steps:

1. Browse to the trickster.exe file in the Blumenmacht folder.
2. Right click trickster.exe and click Properties.
3. Click the Compatibility tab.
4. Select the "Run in 256 colors" check box.

Now Blumenmacht should run stable.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic