Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 01:18:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessA financial analogy
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: A financial analogy  (Read 3926 times)
Zaphos
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 10:24:39 AM »

$200K is his living cost for 3 years? Some people don't make this amount of money in 10 years(after taxes).
I think some stuff was lost in the ellipses from what I quoted, perhaps -- pretty sure his expenses were more than living cost, as he hired an artist (actually more than one, as edmund did the animations) and some additional programming help at the end and the dev kits and translation and qa aren't free afaik.  The 'just cost of living' dev would not have an artist (at least not one paid upfront ...) and would probably have to get someone else to cover the XBLA overhead (or just release on PC first instead).
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 02:03:57 PM »

i believe blow worked in finance (like, a wall street style stock broker job) prior to getting into indie games, which may explain where he got the money to fund braid from

Zaphos
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2011, 03:22:21 PM »

i believe blow worked in finance (like, a wall street style stock broker job) prior to getting into indie games, which may explain where he got the money to fund braid from
source?
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2011, 03:32:46 PM »

not a good source; someone mentioned it in tigirc as his background; but according to them he earned 6 figures a year before going into indie games from some type of banking or investment job. possibly not true but that's the only information i have on his job prior to making braid

Zaphos
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2011, 03:47:16 PM »

Immediately before braid he was doing this: http://number-none.com/happycake/index.html
as a contract project, and writing the inner product column for game developer magazine, and part of the experimental gameplay sessions at gdc and some early game jams.  I don't know what he did in the late 90s, I thought it was also work on some game though.
Eponasoft
Level 0

PC Engine Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2011, 01:46:23 PM »

I have two main ideas for what an "indie" game company really is...

First, a company that is smaller and operates on their own without any help from a larger company.

Second, a company that produces products based on the designs of the creative developers, not the desires of the marketing department.

Eponasoft develops commercial PC Engine games.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic