Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 06:33:04 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsdelete me
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: delete me  (Read 9726 times)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2011, 02:15:26 PM »

loving the song quotes in those screenshots  Cheesy
Theophilus
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2011, 04:44:16 PM »

low resolution hides a thousand sins. Smiley

Paint-shop-pro 6
Choose background colour.
Choose darker shade (decrease value) and draw basic pattern.
Choose lighter shade (increase value) and add highlights if necessary.
Soften filter if necessary.
Add random noise.
Colourise to background colour.

I've found a similar way for GIMP, if anyone wants to hear.

-Fill image with background color
-Choose a darker shade with lower value
-Draw your tileable pattern
-Choose a lighter shade with higher value
-Add highlights
-Create new layer
-Use the RGB filter, with all settings at 1.00 and independent RGB unticked.
-Set the layer's opacity to something like 20-40
-Set the layer's blending mode to Overlay

This should have a similar result, and they look quite nice.
leonelc29
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 04:55:36 AM »

Something small and quick jump down from left side of the stair when i climb up. Input?

but seriously, this really remind me of HL2 where the headcrab always hide in those place, and when go up stair, it jump at you.
saibot216
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 01:52:27 PM »

Nice so far, my only advice is increase the ceiling height.

AndrewFM
Level 2

whoops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2011, 03:06:57 AM »

Well, in this screenshot, it really feels like the player is crawling. However, I'm not sure if it's actually due to the camera being too low, or my mind playing tricks on me knowing that Minecraft standing height is 2 blocks tall.

I do think that the camera should be higher, though.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 03:22:24 PM »

Alternatively, maybe you could scale down the floor texture. That might give the feeling that the floor's 'smaller' than it really is, and make you feel taller. ... It might work in the screenshot, anyway.

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2011, 12:28:13 PM »

Hmm, you need to take into consideration all aspects of small fun project vs huge project.
I won't advise you which one to take, because I don't know you much. But don't think that a big project is most worthwhile in the aspects of: Profit, Recognition, fun developing, and etc etc.
I am just saying, you should think about it really hard, unless you have already done so. Smiley
Anyway, good luck.

Master of all trades.
negativeview
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2011, 01:32:05 PM »

Really really dig the attic tile sets. SOME of the "stone" tile set is nice. The last few screenshots look a little too much like Minecraft. I think mostly just because every tile you used in those were Minecrafty (cobblestone and gravel). Mix "cobble" with a tile that's not so Minecrafty and it might look okay.

Aside from the dungeon textures, the dungeon game might work. I think that the attic game is more unique and stylistic. I feel like we've seen many many dungeon crawlers. We've seen fewer attic crawlers.  Cheesy

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2011, 03:03:56 PM »

Huge project paid off for Notch. Grin

I think this game could be successful. Lots of people would like to make games, but most cannot because they underestimate what programming involves. The next best thing for these people is a game with a comprehensive editor. I think that's why Minecraft is successful -- it's essentially an editor for people to make their own game world. What it lacks is deep adventure, and that's what my game idea has tonnes of. So I think it could be successful.

Another example is warcraft 3 -- the comprehensive world-editor invited a modding community to grow and develop custom games, and that gave birth to dota.

I think the hardest thing with the programming is to maintain enough versatility that it's possible for users to design their own content. The hardest part of that is designing the classes and structs for everything so that they fit together harmoniously.

For example, an item could do a myriad different things: It could be consumable. It could be a weapon. It could be wearable. It could produce light.  It could produce particle effects, etc.

If items were hard coded, it would be easy to do all this, but when we make items editable, the item class has to be versatile enough to allow for all kinds of obscure permutations.

Once that has been done, the editor itself should not be too difficult, and I enjoy making editors. Once I have the game engine + editor, then I can use it to design the default dungeon without doing any more coding. (and I can debug the thing at the same time)

Once a modding community gets up and running, users will no doubt start creating addons, such as programs that produce procedurally generated dungeons, gauntlet runs, and things like that.

I get the feeling your RPG Maker like idea will take much longer to code than Minecraft. Also, take into consideration that Minecraft took at least several years to code(I think?).
And, you don't offer anything relatively new like Minecraft did. Even if you pass the first two or three years where you don't have something people would want to use for their own games, it's not really certain you can build a community
But, that's just my opinion, from my perspective. I am not sure I got it right.
However, presonally, I would much rather play a horror themed bear game in a couple of weeks, than wait 2 years for yet another generic RPG game maker. Smiley
My 2 cents.

Master of all trades.
Theophilus
« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2011, 03:51:18 PM »

I started making the editor for this today. I've been trying to think of all the components parts that need to be done:

-- Map editor : For defining the dungeon layout and content

Make it like a 2D editor except you can switch the level of the building. I see too many over-complicated 3D level editors.
Ashkin
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2011, 10:32:45 AM »

Go for a compromise- make a tabbed module, but allow the user to click and drag the tabs away into their own windows, and then drag them back and 'dock' them when they're done. It would probably be the most comfortable for all.

This is looking pretty great, by the way.
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic