Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 01:21:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHumdrum [New Project]
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Humdrum [New Project]  (Read 5221 times)
Carefree games
« on: June 28, 2008, 12:41:39 PM »

humdrum
–adjective
1. lacking variety; boring; dull: a humdrum existence. 
–noun
2. humdrum character or routine; monotony. 
3. monotonous or tedious talk. 
4. Archaic. a dull, boring person.

I'm basing my next project on this word. It will be a bizzare puzzle platformer. I'll use only two colors(and another to lend the two), but the gameplay will be anything but the title of the game. Opinions, suggestions, random thoughts?

Small example of gameplay. (10 levels)
Humdrum.zip

Arrow keys to move. If your having trouble with the movement, try to ignore that it's grid based. You must hold in up to make a full jump. If you want to make a short jump, just tap up.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 12:53:19 PM by Carefree Games » Logged
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 12:54:05 AM »

love the style and the colors

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2008, 04:04:26 PM »

I like this! The tile-based nature of the platforming (And indeed the graphics) reminds me a lot of ZX81 and VIC20 games like Krazy Kong and, er.. Crazy Cavey.

My main criticism is that the puzzles are a little ordinary; lever/door and item-based fare. If the puzzles are going to be the game's selling point, I would spend some time devising some that require a bit more thought.

Oh, and it could probably use a full-screen mode, or at least scale it by two or three times. It's tiny!

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Carefree games
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 04:14:36 PM »

I'm working on more things that I can use for puzzles. How far did you get? It doesn't look as nice when it's bigger, but if a lot(or even a few) of people complain I'll make it bigger for sure.

Thanks for the comments.
MekanikDestructiwKommando
Level 3

Let's ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 07:01:23 PM »

Not sure if this is intentional, but please leave it in I love it
Rapidly tap up to stay in the air. Certainly related to the slow tick time of the game(?). Jump then mash up and tap left/right to float across, Peach style!
I couldn't figure out the level where there is some thing in the upper-right.. and some weird things in the lower left and upper-left.. and spikes fall into the water. that level. Tongue

There have always been interactive experiences that go beyond entertainment.  For example, if mafia games are too fun for you, then you can always join the mafia.
Carefree games
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2008, 07:06:16 PM »

Sorry, but I most likely won't keep that jumping glitch.

1. Get the watering can.
2. See those little bumps on the ground? Water them.
3. You'll know what to do from there.
4. You've completed the demo and get a n error as your reward!
PaulMorel
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 11:24:02 AM »

Good start.

I liked the infinite lives and instant respawn thing.  That made me want to keep playing, because I didn't have to repeat any of the previous levels.

I didn't like the tiny window.  I'm not sure if that was deliberate or what, but the window is literally the size of 2 side-by-side postage stamps on my screen.  You may need to scale up those graphics ... or something.

The other thing that I didn't like was that there is only 1 solution for some of the puzzles.

Still, a terrific start, and with a little refinement and a LOT of time spent on level design, this could be a fun little game!   Grin

my computer music blog: http://www.thisisnotalabel.com
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2008, 11:48:18 AM »

I kept trying to turn around without moving. It didn't work and resulted in me dying alot.

Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2008, 12:25:26 PM »

I'm working on more things that I can use for puzzles. How far did you get? It doesn't look as nice when it's bigger, but if a lot(or even a few) of people complain I'll make it bigger for sure.

Ah, I'd only gotten to about the 6th or 7th screen. It gets quite a bit more interesting after that. I like where it's going!

As for the size issue, have you tried upscaling it using a pixel resize, for pure, blocky goodness? The fullscreen button on the window scales it with some horrible interpolation. Though, I guess the spikes would look a little odd if you could see the jaggies. What about some kind of scanlines?

I kept trying to turn around without moving. It didn't work and resulted in me dying alot.

Agreed, there are a couple of sections near the end where the ability to turn the other way on the spot would be useful, like the platform with the second plant in the final screen.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

Carefree games
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2008, 12:57:59 PM »

- Window will definitely be resized now.
- I'll enable the player to turn without moving.
- I've got some nifty new things added in. You'll see them in the next (And most likely last.) demo.
alexandersshen
Level 2

What's a battle?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2008, 01:00:21 PM »

I like how simple everything is.  I can see this kind of thing on a handheld LCD device.  There's some kind of aesthetic about it that I really like.

I was a little unclear on how to move the way I wanted to, like running and doing a higher jump.  I didn't check if F1 brought up a help file, but that would be nice.

How many levels are going to be for the game?  Will you include a level editor?  I feel that you might be able to import text files as levels, at the very least, quite easily with GM7.

Keep it up, I like this one.

It reminds me of the mini-game that came with Alien Hominid on the consoles.  It had something like 100+ levels of just this "get to the exit" type game.  It reminds me a lot like that and that's a good thing. Smiley
Carefree games
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2008, 01:38:11 PM »

I'll include a tutorial in the early levels of the game. The rough idea is that you will have a NPC in front of you doing something, then stop after and laugh at you. Then an icon will pop up for what to do.

I don't know how many levels will be in the game. I usually figure that out as I go, but you can count on a lot. I'll also be creating "Mix'n'Match Level Designer", which will be available in-game. Eventually I want my own website(Carefree Games - not just Humdrum), and I'll include a small section for level sharing.
Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 01:50:05 PM »

Nice idea with the level designer!

Are you planning on doing anything else with the music, by the way? If you're interested, I could do something minimal and retro-sounding, possibly using the percussion loop that's there already.

Carefree games
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »

Thanks for the offer! I don't have any music right now. (What's there is just to have something.) So yes, could you do that please? Under what name do you want credit, if any?
Synnah
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2008, 03:05:57 PM »

All of my current stuff is under the name of Father of Syn, which I'll admit isn't a great one. I'd use Synnah, but it's taken already. So, Father of Syn it is! I'll PM you with some info.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2008, 10:21:37 PM »

I really like the art style and the teeny-tiny resolution. Resize it if you like but leave an option for the tiny style as well because I for one think it's great.

Was going to say something about the music being incredibly annoying, but I can see that's under control now.

Should probably implement a level select system so you can return to the latest level you've reached.

Carefree games
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 06:29:40 AM »

I like the small window too, so I already decided to make it an option.

Hmm... That would ba a huge level select. If I do, it'll be by groups of 5 levels or so.

EDIT: I put in being able to turn without moving. It made the platforming very un-natural, and it's out again.

EDIT2: I fixed the flying glitch! But I also had to alter the variable jumping in the process. (Holding up for full jump, taping for short jump.) It's now very sensitive and harder to time right. I'll either have to change level designs to fit it, or find a way to get back the right jumping without flying.

EDIT3: Works like a charm! Kiss
« Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 09:20:57 PM by Carefree Games » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic