Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 08:50:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSubterrane [formerly Mining Game]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28
Print
Author Topic: Subterrane [formerly Mining Game]  (Read 67044 times)
eclectocrat
Level 5

Most of your personality is unconscious.

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2011, 08:14:36 PM »

Nice, but the controls didn't work very well for me. Spacebar did nothing, click seemed to dig. Maybe it's because I'm on Safari. Regardless, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to more.

I make Mysterious Castle, a Tactics-Roguelike
Ashkin
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2011, 08:19:49 PM »

Nice, but the controls didn't work very well for me. Spacebar did nothing, click seemed to dig. Maybe it's because I'm on Safari. Regardless, I enjoyed it and am looking forward to more.
Yeah, I should really explain better. It's click to use a tool, q and e to cycle through them, WASD to move. Spacebar doesn't really do anything right now. Sorry for the confusion.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2011, 09:32:36 AM »

I had the same confusion, it is because the link in the OP still says space is to dig and click is to shoot. Update the instructions on that page and the confusion should evaporate.
Xardov
Level 1

Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2011, 10:07:18 PM »

Me likey!

Beer!  Blog / Twitter / Google+  Beer!
AaronLee
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2011, 10:13:17 PM »

Love the mockup! There's a shortage of fresh menu ideas these days so more power to ya.

Ashkin
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2011, 10:21:45 PM »

I had the same confusion, it is because the link in the OP still says space is to dig and click is to shoot. Update the instructions on that page and the confusion should evaporate.
Thanks, I fixed that up Smiley
Me likey!
Good!
Love the mockup! There's a shortage of fresh menu ideas these days so more power to ya.
Yeah, I hope it will work out well. Basically when you start the game it will go like this:
1) Picture of giant spaceship in space
2) Tiny pixel is jettisoned from it
3) Cut to player (the pixel) shooting through space, debris flying past him to show motion
4) Other menu items come up alongside him
5) Logo comes down
6) Click option
7) The option that you chose accelerates past the others, falling offscreen.
Cool Menu fades.

Almost done with practice exams, guys! That means work will continue on this soon.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2011, 11:24:20 PM »

1870 in about 4 minutes, huh? That's not such a good score, but I did get down quite a bit quicker now with the pregeneration of extra tunnels, and while at first I thought the quicker/more slippery vertical boost controls was a troubling factor, I then thought about it and it's a fair trade off for how much quicker you can escape from there. Gold clusters tend to generate better this go, too; and the other items are helpful without breaking the game.

So what's next on your to-do list?

Ashkin
« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2011, 11:56:37 PM »

1870 in about 4 minutes, huh? That's not such a good score, but I did get down quite a bit quicker now with the pregeneration of extra tunnels, and while at first I thought the quicker/more slippery vertical boost controls was a troubling factor, I then thought about it and it's a fair trade off for how much quicker you can escape from there. Gold clusters tend to generate better this go, too; and the other items are helpful without breaking the game.

So what's next on your to-do list?
Finish exams, that's what.
I'll be back to coding tomorrow, and I'll probably start with finishing up the menu and getting more of the stuff around the game in- highscores tables and all that junk. Then, the stuff I have left on the checklist: Sound effects, music, prettying things up with stalagtites and maybe more sky colours/grass colours on the surface to make things more interesting, energy crystals, fossils, orbital drill, and stone strengths. Then polish and release. After release, I'll probably add a bunch more ambitious features in (things I dream of doing): water, old ruins, creatures, online play...

I've also thought of two ways to branch it post release:
A) Persistent planet on an online server. Build machines designed to extract minerals from the bowels of the earth, protect your supplies and machinery from rival companies, and plumb the depths with your friends.
B) A metagame that's a hybrid of this mining game and my old half-finished game Bitrocket. Fly through space dodging meteors, land on a planet, strip mine it of its gold, plant explosives in its center, blow it up, fly around the planet collecting flying gold, upgrade stuff with the money you get, rinse and repeat.

But both of those are just dreams.

Anyway, further elaboration on the features I have yet to add before release:
  • Sound effects and musics will be outsourced, grabbed from whatever wonderful musician I may find near the end of the development.
  • I'm not sure how I'll pretty things up, but I just want to make things not look boring.
  • Energy crystals will be ores in the walls much like gold (but rarer) that may entirely replace the batteries found in chests as an energy source.
  • Fossils will be things that require gentle extraction: You'll have to dig out an area around them before they'll be beamed up, netting you a large sum of money for the trouble. They crumble easily if disturbed.
  • The orbital drill I have explained a few times before, but it will be the last tool and quite rare. You'll probably start with one as a simple shortcut to get down to the nearest cavern.
  • Stone strengths will increase as you go lower, and you'll have to find more powerful drills in special chests to be able to dig these greater strengths. Of course, gold will be more common in the stronger rock as a reward.

Oh, I'll also probably make the top terrain more interesting with one-dimensional perlin noise to determine tile height (a wonderful idea from a fellow mining game). Also, I'll bump up the minimum height for cave creation, meaning that more cave mouths will show up on the surface for easier exploration. I miss the feeling of crashing through a thin surface into a cave.
Ashkin
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2011, 08:46:08 PM »

Excuse the lack of posts lately. I'm taking a break after practice exams by developing a small game for a small competition. Expect me back in action by October 8th.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2011, 03:32:24 AM »

Inexcusable.

Nobody is ever allowed to take breaks from the game they are working on to go work on something else briefly

NEVER

Mock Anger       Mock Anger        Mock Anger         

Ashkin
« Reply #90 on: October 08, 2011, 03:13:12 AM »

I'm back to work, and here's a peek at one of the terrain variants I have planned:
Bood_war
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: October 08, 2011, 05:50:34 AM »

I had waaaaay too much fun with that rocket launcher.

Ashkin
« Reply #92 on: October 08, 2011, 05:02:42 PM »

I had waaaaay too much fun with that rocket launcher.
Haha, great!
Another terrain mockup:

I've finished the main menu. I'm gonna work on terrain now, maybe try to sprite a spaceship for the intro as well. I could use some references for spaceships (carrier-type stuff, not fighters)!
Ashkin
« Reply #93 on: October 08, 2011, 11:51:11 PM »

Hooraaaaaaay
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: October 09, 2011, 02:23:05 AM »

Looking good!

Ashkin
« Reply #95 on: October 10, 2011, 04:26:44 PM »

Almost done with surfaces!
Ashkin
« Reply #96 on: October 10, 2011, 05:32:07 PM »

Trees! Grin

I think I'm done with surfaces for now. I'll probably add a parallax layer in the back later on though.

I updated the OP with a new demo that includes the new terrain and the new menu (only the "PLAY" option works right now)
Slather
« Reply #97 on: October 10, 2011, 07:25:30 PM »

This is a really cool project. Any chance for multiplayer? Or cave monsters? Hand Thumbs Up Left
Ashkin
« Reply #98 on: October 10, 2011, 07:38:38 PM »

This is a really cool project. Any chance for multiplayer? Or cave monsters? Hand Thumbs Up Left
Multiplayer is something I'd really like to do but probably won't end up being able to pull off. It's cool to think about though.
As for cave monsters, I'm not sure that enemies would fit the feel of this game. The urgency is centered around mining, not running around shooting enemies.
Thanks for the comments!
Slather
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2011, 10:51:22 AM »

Ah. I guess I was confused by all the rockets and bombs into thinking this was some kind of battle game. Hand Any Key  I imagined it becoming a real-time Worms-like game, ideally team-based.  The game feels like Knytt to me, but without all the charming little animals running around. Gomez  Is there a design written somewhere that I can read?

"Mine On You Tiny Shy Gun"
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 28
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic