Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 07:40:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Engines for Indie Developers
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Game Engines for Indie Developers  (Read 372054 times)
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2011, 06:54:10 AM »

I looked at the page and the engine looks really good. Though, you should make the fonts on the website bigger. They're barely readable and I'm using 1366x768 on 15.4in display which means that some people who use 15in displays with 1680x1050 or similar resolutions won't be able to read the text.

Also, you should really make a clear license.

Edit: also, what about Intel GPU support? Deffered shading doesn't work that good with them.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 07:03:13 AM by rivon » Logged
ejulien
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2011, 07:22:17 AM »

Thanks, you are right about the license issue. I guess this speaks as to one of my weaknesses, I am a programmer, not a salesman. Point taken on the website, I intend to give it a complete overhaul in order to make it easier to maintain as well.

The renderer has support for forward and deferred shading. Unfortunately Intel GPUs are reported to crash even with the forward renderer and I do not have access to such a configuration to debug it.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: December 06, 2011, 07:36:07 AM »

Just ran across this "engine" via an article on Gamasutra.

Gamasutra Article
Quest Engine Website

It's basically an engine and development kit for producing text adventures. While that by itself is an interesting diversion, the author has recently optimized the engine for exporting games made with it to the iPhone and Android. (I believe he uses Phonegap to accomplish this) This seemed like a pretty fun way of producing basic text adventures quickly, and being able to distribute them broadly. Text adventures are a good early exercise in basic game design, and are especially a great way for writers to take a quick stab at developing games.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: December 06, 2011, 01:28:21 PM »

where can I see the license on the gamestart website?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ejulien
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 06, 2011, 01:53:53 PM »

where can I see the license on the gamestart website?

There is no set license, only talks on the subject in the forum.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 07, 2011, 06:07:26 AM »

it is not a review, it is an overview based on the available information.

2) Where did you get that I am charging anything for this Beta version!? Get your facts straight! You are making a fool of yourself.
3) Where the hell are you pulling this crap from?!!
6) Nonsense. All published projects made with GameStart are using 2D components and the built-in windowing system for their user interfaces.

All information are taken directly from post by yourself from your own forum; albeit removed from context and juxtaposed. Nothing is fabrication but the result of search for information comparable to that of all the other solutions in the master list. Take it as a point of origin for points to clarify, preferably on a web page. If I who spend quite a bit of time looking for these answers have misunderstood you and your engine imagine the extent to which more impatient people would.

I do not ask you to recommend GameStart, keep your review as it is. Just do not make up facts out of thin air and publicly bash me for them.

I'm not out to diss it either. Provide enough information to let people make informed decisions on their own and I can cut 90% of the current text.

I changed the hubris part to "big though perhaps unrealistic plans from the single developer".

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
ejulien
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 07, 2011, 06:22:36 AM »

I changed the hubris part to "big though perhaps unrealistic plans from the single developer".

Thank you very much.
I will keep in mind the points you raised when reworking the website.
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 08, 2011, 06:09:56 AM »

I have updated the OP with new information about Unity licences and the fact that it doesn't support Linux, neither for the editor or the web player (the last is actually quite a serious shortcoming!).

I am seriously out of space in the OP so I've contacted Riley to ask him if he can sacrifice his first reply (the thread was originally about the Yake engine) so I will at least have two consecutive posts to use. Then I (1) will have space for including the new solutions that should go in, and (2) can either divide the OP into separate tabulation and review parts or separate commercial and open-source parts. Do you have any preference which would be best?

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 08, 2011, 07:31:23 AM »

I actually think that Unity will be ported to Linux, AFAIK they even have the web player working - http://blogs.unity3d.com/2011/03/24/ninjacamp-iii-foxes-and-penguins-unite/. They just probably want to make it work flawlessly. The bad thing is, they work on other things even though Linux version is the most wanted feature.
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 09, 2011, 12:22:18 AM »

What Game Engine would be recommended for a project that uses 3D graphics, but does not need any of the techniques for drawing 3D games faster? (well limited, characters may be in 3D) I'm going for a 3D version of an isometric tile-based game, kinda like in Disgaea.

Also, the Game Engine recommendation should also be judged on how easy it is to understand/get into.

I'm thinking just stick with Game Maker since I'm most familiar with it and it can do basic 3D, but if there are better suggestions, I'd be glad to hear em
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: December 09, 2011, 12:42:00 AM »

The Blender Game Engine's something like a 3D Game Maker - not exactly the most professional product, but can get quite a few jobs done if you do them right. You can script with Python or just use logic bricks to code, as well. It's not perfect, but it's a fun game creation tool. Of course, I would say that - I'm making a game in the BGE myself and have been using it for a few years, I think. There are some issues with it, but it's still free and open-source.

jMonkeyEngine's quite a bit more powerful graphically, but it's all coding with Java. Panda3D's also pretty powerful, but, again, is all coding with Python.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 12:48:59 AM by SolarLune » Logged

bart_the_13th
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 09, 2011, 01:12:04 AM »

What Game Engine would be recommended for a project that uses 3D graphics, but does not need any of the techniques for drawing 3D games faster? (well limited, characters may be in 3D) I'm going for a 3D version of an isometric tile-based game, kinda like in Disgaea.

Also, the Game Engine recommendation should also be judged on how easy it is to understand/get into.

I'm thinking just stick with Game Maker since I'm most familiar with it and it can do basic 3D, but if there are better suggestions, I'd be glad to hear em
Then I would like to suggest you to stick with GM, it can get the task done, plus you already knew the language. Smiley
increpare
« Reply #132 on: December 09, 2011, 02:36:33 AM »

The Blender Game Engine's something like a 3D Game Maker - not exactly the most professional product, but can get quite a few jobs done if you do them right.
Except for the fact that nobody's made anything substantial/solid in it, to my knowledge (there was a 3d platformer prototype a while ago IIRC). 

Probably best to stick with GM (unity's OK for doing the sort of stuff you're asking about, fwiw, but unless you have people nearby to help you learn it I'd probably give it a miss given that GM can do you what you want).
vinheim3
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 09, 2011, 02:44:03 AM »

Guess GM it is then. Damn, if only the teachers in my school who do game design weren't all about the hi-def 3D graphics games like I own a company, and they think GM's retarded.. oh well, least I can whip up something a lot more impressive
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 09, 2011, 04:34:40 AM »

I agree. Your thoughts about the relative merits on different solutions on this could be integrated. Bear in mind, though, that the other aspects are a bit more quantitative, while such a criterion would be much more subjective.

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 09, 2011, 07:12:28 AM »

The Blender Game Engine's something like a 3D Game Maker - not exactly the most professional product, but can get quite a few jobs done if you do them right.
Except for the fact that nobody's made anything substantial/solid in it, to my knowledge (there was a 3d platformer prototype a while ago IIRC). 

Probably best to stick with GM (unity's OK for doing the sort of stuff you're asking about, fwiw, but unless you have people nearby to help you learn it I'd probably give it a miss given that GM can do you what you want).

True, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible or even hard to do. Smiley I think mainly the licensing is the problem with it - most companies don't want to touch a GPL license for a game. Sad

Of course, you can bypass the licensing...

increpare
« Reply #136 on: December 09, 2011, 08:02:38 AM »

True, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible or even hard to do. Smiley
No framework can be expected to work robustly until it's been tested in the field a bit.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: December 09, 2011, 09:07:53 AM »

True, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible or even hard to do. Smiley
No framework can be expected to work robustly until it's been tested in the field a bit.

It has been, though not a lot.

1) ColorCube was a commercial game that was made with the BGE and that is currently for sale on GamersGate.

Here's a

showing the gameplay. It's pretty unique, actually.

2) Dead Cyborg is a donation-based first-person adventure title made wholly with the BGE.

Here's

, and one for Episode 2. Note that Dead Cyborg has been mentioned on indiegames.com, as well.

3) With the Dust is a game in development that also uses the BGE, and, like Dead Cyborg, has been mentioned on indiegames.com.

Here's another trailer.

Most people use the BGE and then decide to drop it because they think that Unity or the UDK is better. While they are more powerful overall, the fact is that if you have a game running slowly in the BGE, moving it to Unity and creating the game the same way will more than likely make it run just as slowly. In other words, people use the BGE but don't optimize the games and chalk up any problems to Blender's ineptitude. In truth, it's quite powerful if you work with it.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:34:10 AM by SolarLune » Logged

increpare
« Reply #138 on: December 09, 2011, 09:47:46 AM »

Thanks for the links to those games - I didn't know about them.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: December 09, 2011, 10:00:53 AM »

What I like with the BGE is that you get really good advanced effects such as lighting , FOV (I think), etc...
And you can create, sculpt, bake, tesselate, script,etc... all from the same editor.
The problem is that it runs like a dog if you don't have a powerful configuration.

Also: The blender interface will be a real problem for some people.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic