Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:08:41 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Engines for Indie Developers
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Game Engines for Indie Developers  (Read 373089 times)
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: December 15, 2011, 01:28:46 AM »

Also: The blender interface will be a real problem for some people.
Yup.
I'd like moi to test DXStudio...
I've been using it and think its worth a mention.

Yeah.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: December 15, 2011, 06:13:41 AM »

what do you mean? I'm not a professional tester.
I've already said it's worth the mention

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 15, 2011, 06:21:13 AM »

Since Riley generously sacrificed his post in the thread start I've now been able to split the first post into list and evaluation/conclusion parts. This has freed up space for a somewhat improved formatting and to include new solutions (coming).

I'd like moi to test DXStudio...
I've been using it and think its worth a mention.

[pb]rotip: If you have tested it you could assemble information in style with that already in the list and perhaps we can include it. Smiley Please be as objective as possible about it and include drawbacks as well as advantages.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2011, 08:11:49 AM »

Name
DXStudio

Licence/Price
Free for commercial Use

Supported Platforms
Windows/Web (via plugin)

Scope, Intent and useage
Complete game solution. Use in simulation scenarios.

Pros
Big library of resources for developers
Very complete guide
Straightforward interface.
Includes Physx and bullet physics engines.

Cons
Community seems rather quiet in the forums.
Navigating in the gizmo can be hard.
Windows only to develop and export.

Evaluation
It is a great engine that can be used to prototype a game in minutes with a minimum amount of coding. Has decent import options for the major formats. The complete guide online is a major helper.

EDIT:
Sorry Mikademus, I was unable to replicate your formatting.  Sad
« Last Edit: December 16, 2011, 09:23:53 AM by eyeliner » Logged

Yeah.
Pedrosanchau
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2012, 04:54:58 AM »

Hi,

I see a lot of 3d program, What is the best for 2d games?
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2012, 07:54:13 AM »

If you're new to game development and design, I would either go with Game Maker or Stencylworks. Currently, Stencylworks is a lot like Game Maker, but for Mac, and is more capable in terms of the visual programming language.

If you're a coder, I would recommend FlashPunk, as it's Flash, which means that it's very cross-platform compatible, and it's a nice game framework.

fbalm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2012, 06:05:56 PM »

Hi guys

I was wondering if any of you have experience with modifying any of the open sourced quake engines, and if you would recommend it for a hitscan weapon based multiplayer shooter

also, udk and source sdk - which of these do you consider better?
increpare
« Reply #147 on: January 14, 2012, 06:10:11 PM »

unity (mainly because it's more cross-platform)
fbalm
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 14, 2012, 06:15:47 PM »

unity (mainly because it's more cross-platform)

Thanks for the reply. I have some experience with unity, but I wrote it off for this as I've never used the networking components - are they easy to work with? does it allow client/server kind of setups? Networking is the main reason i decided to try one of these instead
increpare
« Reply #149 on: January 14, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »

I haven't dealt with unity's networking stuff personally, so can't comment.
mcc
Level 10

glitch

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: January 14, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »

If you're new to game development and design, I would either go with Game Maker or Stencylworks. Currently, Stencylworks is a lot like Game Maker, but for Mac, and is more capable in terms of the visual programming language.
Note if it wasn't clear-- Stencylworks is mac or windows.

My projects:<br />Games: Jumpman Retro-futuristic platforming iJumpman iPhone version Drumcircle PC+smartphone music toy<br />More: RUN HELLO
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: January 14, 2012, 08:16:49 PM »

Note if it wasn't clear-- Stencylworks is mac or windows.
Oh, heh, yeah - Stencylworks in Mac or Windows. Also, Stencylworks makes Flash games, so (I think) it's got more cross-plaform compatibility possibilities.

rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 15, 2012, 09:50:41 AM »

Hi guys

I was wondering if any of you have experience with modifying any of the open sourced quake engines, and if you would recommend it for a hitscan weapon based multiplayer shooter
Why not. Take a look at Warsow or Urban Terror. Warsow is based on QFusion (based on Q2) and UrT is based on ioquake3.
But you have to have in mind, that there isn't that much documentation as with engines like OGRE, Irrlicht, UDK, Unity etc.
Daniel X Moore
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 15, 2012, 03:00:06 PM »

I'm one of the creators of PixieEngine.com. It's a browser based IDE for creating HTML5 games. I hope it's good enough for general use, but if there are any problems or feedback let me know.
increpare
« Reply #154 on: January 15, 2012, 05:00:17 PM »

I'm one of the creators of PixieEngine.com. It's a browser based IDE for creating HTML5 games. I hope it's good enough for general use, but if there are any problems or feedback let me know.
(I quite like Juxtapose Smiley )
cow_trix
Level 0

Meat Popsicle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: January 18, 2012, 06:25:57 PM »

Construct 2, by the same people as Construct Classic, has come into its own with some powerful features that I think warrant it's inclusion on this list.

I make games and you should play them.

Dritch - Voxel SciFi Adventure | voxul - Unity Voxel Framework
Hima
Level 4

OM NOM NOM

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 19, 2012, 09:41:16 AM »

Isn't the list in this thread gears toward 3D rather than 2D? My understanding is that Construct2 and PixieEngine are mainly for 2d games. You might want to post about them in this thread instead : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=49.0

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 20, 2012, 05:00:10 AM »

It has been suggested that if there are enough 2D frameworks and complete engine solutions to warrant it, a sister list to this one could be made.

As it is right now there is admittedly a 3D bias to this list in the sense that most large or complete game engine solutions support or are exclusively for 3D, but there are 2D engines in the list and there is no prejudice against them.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
AdamM
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 31, 2012, 03:14:39 PM »

I am currently using Torque 2D, and one thing people should keep in mind is that you never HAVE to buy kits/extensions for regular development if you're willing to do some scripting. The genre kits are essentially there so that you can just plug in your own assets and tweak some variables and have the basics needed to start building levels and have a game. I paid the $99 and have not run into any roadblocks that require me to pay more money. For most issues, their community and documentation have been very helpful. There is never a point where you try to do something in the editor and you get a pop-up telling you you need to pay more money to do that.

flavio
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: February 14, 2012, 09:06:52 AM »

Hand Any KeyBEWARE Hand Any Key : After having read this thread, few days ago I installed the last stable version of Panda3D on Wind 7 64bits. I discovered today that it removed all previous entries in my Path environnement variable.  Facepalm

The bug have been reported and filed for some time but not fixed yet. The problem is that not everyone gets it. So if your read this thread, you might want to save your path infos somewhere before installing Panda3D.

If someone is interested, this bug has been fixed.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic