Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:42:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Engines for Indie Developers
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Game Engines for Indie Developers  (Read 373201 times)
Linc
Level 0

Check It Out Now

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 19, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »

For anyone interested, (not sure if this has been said yet) playmycode.com, a browser based coding platform. It's quite nice, actually.

-Lincoln Bergeson
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 15, 2012, 06:28:02 AM »

Unity 3D has iOS and Android export for free until April 8th.

Yeah.
Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: March 25, 2012, 10:27:37 PM »

The Scrolling Game Development Kit 2

http://sgdk2.sf.net

Completely free.
It runs on Windows and Linux. Runs in the NET 4.0 Environment.
It supports any genre of gaming, limitless in what it can do.

It also can export games to HTML5.

Uses the C# Language. All out of the box .cs objects can be replaced with personal code.

No knowledge of C# or Javascript is needed. One can make a game just as nice without using code, although code creates a neater way to revise.

Constantly being updated, and the community is friendly. If there is anything you need help with, PM me or the Moderator in the forums.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:34:37 PM by #Sharp » Logged

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
ajf
Level 0

JavaScript + HTML5 FTW!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: April 11, 2012, 05:44:21 AM »

Single platform only, but http://dragonfiresdk.com might warrant a mention.

It's a Windows iOS SDK, quite limited but OK for 2D games. You don't need a Mac at any stage of the process.

Just thought someone might find it useful.
offset
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: May 06, 2012, 11:23:29 AM »

Mikademus, add Love 2D to the list.  Smiley
GameEngineer
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: May 30, 2012, 11:23:28 AM »

Hand Any KeyBEWARE Hand Any Key : After having read this thread, few days ago I installed the last stable version of Panda3D on Wind 7 64bits. I discovered today that it removed all previous entries in my Path environnement variable.  Facepalm

The bug have been reported and filed for some time but not fixed yet. The problem is that not everyone gets it. So if your read this thread, you might want to save your path infos somewhere before installing Panda3D.

If someone is interested, this bug has been fixed.

Thank you for this info!  I just registered here after indiegamer forums completely ignored my attempts to register.  As a coder who likes to get his hands dirty in the code I have been leaning toward the C4 engine despite its cost.  I looked at Panda3D but didn't really give it an honest stare.  I will initially install Panda3D to an old WinXP laptop but eventually it will find a place on my home desktop, Win7 64. 

Code fearlessly!
junx
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 02, 2012, 05:08:31 AM »

Just thought id add a note, CONSTRUCT have now released Construct 2, which seems great so far and is constantly being updated, codes in html 5 but gives multiple export options for multiple platforms.

Game Currently in Development www.facebook.com/tedtheundeadofficial
Check out my music www.facebook.com/citylightsmusic
Roskaa
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 10, 2012, 05:53:21 PM »

Am I the only one that would rather just create there own? I understand fully that it takes time but i'm, just jeez. Would rather create my own and fully understand the concept of the engine. Sorry if this offended anyone!!  Gentleman
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: July 10, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »

@Roskaa, why would that offend anyone? Of course, you could also say the same thing about using the standard libraries of a language and build your own list classes, maths functions, etc. The level you choose is up to you. :D

Falmil
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 11, 2012, 05:45:03 AM »

Am I the only one that would rather just create there own? I understand fully that it takes time but i'm, just jeez. Would rather create my own and fully understand the concept of the engine.

The thing is, writing an engine takes A LOT of time. If you just want to make games, it isn't really worth it to reinvent the wheel. Even if you understand the engine you make, it still will need a ton of tweaks and additional modules and such to bring it up to the level of an existing engine. You could understand an engine better simply by using it and playing around with it.

(not offended)
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 20, 2012, 03:07:07 AM »

Do you guys know of any editor-based engine like Unity but where scripting is not component-based?

UPDATE: I've taken a look at some of the engines and it looks like Maratis, C4 Engine and Shiva would be suitable. Maybe even NeoAxis.

By the way, C4 Engine should be updated. Standard Version which supports commercial games now costs $250 and the Pro version $800. It also supports Linux now (and it looks like everything is supported, all the editor stuff and code development).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2012, 04:50:28 AM by rivon » Logged
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: July 20, 2012, 06:21:33 AM »

Do you guys know of any editor-based engine like Unity but where scripting is not component-based?

Blender's an editor-based engine, and the scripting is object-based (each object can run scripts, though you can write a script to loop through a set of objects and execute logic for them to some extent).

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: July 20, 2012, 07:07:57 AM »

UDK ?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 21, 2012, 07:09:12 AM »

I found one big disadvantage of C4 engine. Before you can start developing, you have to buy the engine which is bad for most of indie developers as they might not have money.
With most of the other commercial engines it's much better because you can download them freely, develop your entire game and when you're finished, just buy the license and publish your game.
That is very important because unless you're experienced developer who finished some 3D games, you don't know if you'll finish the game and the fact is that you might not be able to finish it because of some factors you may not be able to influence. Therefore you would waste $250...
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 21, 2012, 03:23:38 PM »

DXStudio?

Yeah.
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 22, 2012, 05:33:14 AM »

DXStudio?
No, that's Windows only. But yeah don't worry about me anymore. The problem is solved for now.
nklsrh
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: July 26, 2012, 06:19:59 AM »

Dunno if i missed it, but what about the Source SDK? could someone elaborate on it like it was done for all the other engines?

im a big fan of valve and like the look of their tools, but i need to know if im sticking myself in a corner
dgough
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:26 PM »

Mikademus, can you add gameplay3d to the open source engine list? Thank you.

NameLicenceSupported PlatformsScope, Intent and useageProsCons

gameplay3dOpen Source
(Apache 2.0)
Win/OSX/BlackBerry 10/PlayBook 2.0/
Android/iOS
Complete game solution.
  • C++ API
  • Lua scripting
  • bullet physics
  • COLLADA and FBX support
  • animation system with vertex skinning
  • Shader-based material system
  • Declarative UI
  • 3D audio
  • No linux support (yet)
  • No integrated networking
  • No console support

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2012, 10:41:18 AM »

Dunno if i missed it, but what about the Source SDK?

Ugh. The Source SDK is an option, certainly. And the tools integrated into Source are quite capable. It isn't exactly the most user-friendly engine to work with, though. And it is known for having a very awkward asset pipeline. If you don't have a copy of SoftImage, it will be very difficult for you to get custom model assets into a Source game. This is especially true now that the learning edition of SoftImage has been discontinued.

The Source engine is designed for a very specific set of graphical and coding tools. Not having copies of these commercial software packages makes it much harder to work with. This is part of the reason why a lot of smaller studios have avoided tying themselves to the Source engine. It really is a shame, as Source still has some of the best lip-syncing and scripting tools of any engine.
Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2012, 11:53:47 AM »

I just wanted to drop this here. It should be able to compile to windows, mac, and linux, and run on archaic hardware. And I mean c'mon, it's ANSI. What more could you possibly ask for?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic