Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 02:25:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Engines for Indie Developers
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Game Engines for Indie Developers  (Read 373202 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: March 21, 2013, 12:34:27 AM »

Jay Tholen,

Basically, your best bet is C++... All free, works on Windows Phone 8, iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, Mac "you name it".

Oh, let me make a lovely table:

LanguageWindowsLinuxMacAndroidiOSWP8
C++YYYYYY
JavaYYYYNN
C#YYYY*Y*Y

* Requires additional payment

That table is ugly as!  Cheesy

SF
Level 0

Game Builder Club and 3d Game Birds Gameapp Maker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: March 21, 2013, 05:17:49 AM »

Also anyone reading that table should know that any iOS port you do yourself will require a certain amount of Objective-C knowledge.

It's a bad day to be travelling, but it's a great day to drink it!
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 21, 2013, 12:47:59 PM »

What if you used one of the engines like cocos2d-x? I think that it already has the Obj-C stuff sorted out so you can just focus on your game code.
thersus
Level 0

Sometimes I'm grumpy, sometimes I'm not.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: March 21, 2013, 12:57:13 PM »

What if you used one of the engines like cocos2d-x? I think that it already has the Obj-C stuff sorted out so you can just focus on your game code.

Cocos2d-x is all C++, rewritten from the Objective-C one, that's why it's cross-platform. It is very easy to make games for both iOS and Android without rewriting code, but for windows/mac/linux it requires a bit more tweaking. I suffered a lot to include keyboard input on my grad project when I got my macbook stolen and had to quickly port the objective-c cocos2d-iphone project (targeted to Mac) to a windows cocos2d-x project.

But it is very nice to work with, if you are used to C++.

Klaim
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: March 24, 2013, 01:36:05 PM »

Cocos2d-x is all C++, rewritten from the Objective-C one, that's why it's cross-platform. It is very easy to make games for both iOS and Android without rewriting code, but for windows/mac/linux it requires a bit more tweaking. I suffered a lot to include keyboard input on my grad project when I got my macbook stolen and had to quickly port the objective-c cocos2d-iphone project (targeted to Mac) to a windows cocos2d-x project.

But it is very nice to work with, if you are used to C++.

Also, Cocos2D-X force the user to organize the related code using Objective-C idioms instead of C++ idioms. It's ok most of the time but it can really be problematic if you can't totally isolate you C++ code from the code that work with Cocos2D-X.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: March 25, 2013, 07:09:32 AM »

Jay Tholen,

Basically, your best bet is C++... All free, works on Windows Phone 8, iOS, Android, Windows, Linux, Mac "you name it".

Oh, let me make a lovely table:

LanguageWindowsLinuxMacAndroidiOSWP8
C++YYYYYY
JavaYYYYNN
C#YYYY*Y*Y

* Requires additional payment

That table is ugly as!  Cheesy

But... But I've tried so hard! Waaagh!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: March 25, 2013, 05:11:46 PM »

And for that you get a poison cookie.

Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 02, 2013, 06:15:35 PM »

Alright, sorry if this is the wrong thread for me to be posting in, but I'm currently looking for a good engine for 3d game development. I would have sprung for Panda 3d right away, as it sounds like the best free option, but unfortunately, there is no mobile support, which renders it useless to my needs. I was considering Delta3D, but before I bother with the download, is the engine any good? Has anyone here had experience with it, and would I have to learn a new programming language (I don't mind learning a new programming language, I just want to know in advance...)? In case it helps to know what kind of game I want to make, I wish to make a 3-d platformer collectathon like Super Mario 64/Sonic Adventure, so nothing TOO advanced...
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 04, 2013, 12:44:16 PM »

I tried Delta3D way ago and I got stuck trying to build all the dependencies... Otherwise it's quite a nice engine but it's more aimed at simulations rathen than games.
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2013, 09:06:53 AM »

I tried Delta3D way ago and I got stuck trying to build all the dependencies... Otherwise it's quite a nice engine but it's more aimed at simulations rathen than games.

Ah, okay. Any suggestions on a good free engine (Android compatibility is a requirement for me.)?
Benjamin385
« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2013, 03:11:03 PM »

Ah, okay. Any suggestions on a good free engine (Android compatibility is a requirement for me.)?

Hey if you can wait a bit Havok is releasing their Vision Game Engine and some of their middle ware for mobile devs for 100% free :D

Here is a link - Project Anarchy
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:23:42 PM by Benjamin385 » Logged
Impossible Realms
Level 2

Lurks in Pre-Alpha

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »

Thanks for the link, and yeah, waiting is no problem, since I already have a current project. I wanted to find something for an upcoming game I haven't even started.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2013, 10:11:36 PM »

JME3 is actually not too hard to get into. I've tried it out, and the main part I didn't like was the scene composer. I found that you can just convert a Blender .blend file to a j3o file and load it in as a scene. From there, you can find nodes in the scene and place / interact with objects from there (at least, that's my understanding of it so far). It can do Android along with Win, Mac, and Linux, I believe.

Maud'Dib Atreides
Level 4

Obsessed with space

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: April 17, 2013, 03:45:31 PM »

Does OP ever update this thread..?

http://sgdk.sf.net

Guy: Give me all of your money.
Chap: You can't talk to me that way, I'M BRITISH!
Guy: Well, You can't talk to me that way, I'm brutish.
Chap: Somebody help me, I'm about to lose 300 pounds!
Guy: Why's that a bad thing?
Chap: I'M BRITISH.
ThunderMare
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: April 30, 2013, 11:12:41 AM »

Have you guys ever tried MonoGame? Although it's not an engine but a implementation of XNA, I want to hear some thoughts about it.

colinshark
Level 0

Greased Beast

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: May 17, 2013, 12:04:24 PM »

MonoGame always gets mentioned, but I've found few games that use it. I'm not sure it's a serious platform.

I make Gimbal - Build Ships - Multiplayer - Physics
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 17, 2013, 01:09:06 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAha

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: May 17, 2013, 02:49:41 PM »

monogame is rather new

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
gianmichele
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: May 21, 2013, 05:06:20 AM »

Unity just decided to make the iOS and Android export free for its Indie version :D

Good times!!!
bkaradzic
TIGBaby

https://github.com/bkaradzic/bgfx

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: June 15, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »

Hi,

I've developed open source cross-platform rendering library (not engine/framework, it does only rendering). It solves common cross-platform issues without degrading performance. For example, bgfx uses GLSL like shading language and you only have to write single shader, and shader compiler translates it to DX9 HLSL SM3/HLSL SM5/GLSL/ESSL depending on platform you're targeting. It's intended for use by advanced indies who like having full source code to all 3rd party libraries. Platforms currently supported are: Android, Linux, Native Client, OSX, and Windows. Rendering backends: OpenGL 2.1, OpenGL 3.1, OpenGL ES 2, OpenGL ES 3, Direct3D 9, Direct3D 11. Adding new platforms at this point is easy assuming one of rendering backends is compatible with the platform. The source code is released under permissive 2-clause BSD license at https://github.com/bkaradzic/bgfx.

API:
https://github.com/bkaradzic/bgfx/blob/master/include/bgfx.h

License:
https://github.com/bkaradzic/bgfx/blob/master/LICENSE

Best,
Branimir
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic