Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:11:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Game Engines for Indie Developers
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: Game Engines for Indie Developers  (Read 372040 times)
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: September 23, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »

Or one of them mods be kind enough?

Either way my recommendation is thus:
Wave Engine and their forum.

Been liking it so far.

Yeah.
POA
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 18, 2013, 05:15:18 AM »

This should be added to the list as it is a very capable indie engine where you can develop for iOS and Android for free. Not to mention it is backed by Havok and includes c++ access.

http://www.projectanarchy.com/

Project Anarchy is a complete end to end game engine and state-of-the-art toolset for mobile. Project Anarchy also comprises a vibrant game development community centred right here at www.projectanarchy.com. Project Anarchy includes an entirely free license to ship your game on iOS, Android and Tizen platforms.
Technically, what is Project Anarchy?
Under the hood Project Anarchy is a fully integrated suite of Havok’s award winning software:

Havok Vision Engine is a powerful and versatile multi-platform game engine capable of rendering a diverse range of game scenes at smooth frame rates. The engine provides a clean C++ API and a suite of tools ranging from a WYSIWYG editor to lighting and audio tools.
    Havok Physics is the fastest and most robust collision detection and physical simulation technology available. Havok Physics has become the gold standard within the games industry and has been used by leading game developers in over 400 launched titles.
    Havok Animation Studio is a state-of-the-art animation system built for high quality game character development. Havok Animation Studio includes the Havok Animation Tool for artists and designers, and an optimized animation runtime. Havok Animation Tool allows developers to quickly prototype character features and author character performances in a WYSIWYG environment.
    Havok AI is a fully featured pathfinding solution. Havok AI takes care of high-speed navigation mesh generation and provides out of the box components like local character steering. Together pathfinding and steering provide a full palette of solutions for character motions in a wide range of scenes.

In addition to the core suite of Havok’s products, Project Anarchy ships with a growing list of integrated third party game technology such as Fmod for the creation and playback of audio.

Here you can find useful tutorials how to get started with Project Anarchy: http://www.youtube.com/user/ProjectAnarchyHavok
HDSanctum
« Reply #262 on: November 28, 2013, 02:28:07 AM »

I've finally found the time to try out Unity and I have to say I wish I did years ago. Quite simply amazed at how complete and polished it is, and how elegantly it all fits together through the editor.

Of course I am only just powering through the tutorials now, so I can't speak about it's limitations etc., but as a learning tool and prototyping tool, I would have to recommend it to anyone looking.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #263 on: November 28, 2013, 06:56:50 AM »

Two things I'd like to "report":

1) The Standard edition of Game Maker Studio's available as a free download, I think. I think you download the free version, and then try to upgrade; it should work for free.

2) There's an open-source alternative to Game Maker, surprisingly. It's called ENIGMA. Seems that the developers are even working on supporting native GM project files. Haven't tried it out much, but it's great to see open-source solutions to things. Smiley

ar2rsawseen
Level 0

Me

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2013, 11:04:13 AM »

May I suggest Gideros - 2d crossplatform Lua based engine?
Besides having what you need to develop 2d games, it also has some awesome feature, like single click on device testing, targeting various screen sizes automatically using scaling or choosing image with most suitable resolution and ability to develop platforms specific plugins.
All for free to start and publish Smiley
mysteriosum
Level 1

I just lost the game ;(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: January 06, 2014, 11:55:51 AM »

This isn't out as of yet, but it may be interesting to keep an eye on... =O

http://www.gamefromscratch.com/post/2014/01/05/Godot-Unity-like-game-engine-going-open-source.aspx

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: January 06, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »

^ That indeed does look really interesting. Definitely something to keep an ear out for.

Liita
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 24, 2014, 10:41:03 AM »

This isn't out as of yet, but it may be interesting to keep an eye on... =O
^ That indeed does look really interesting. Definitely something to keep an ear out for.

Apparently the door is a wee bit open (scroll the image to the right first.):
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: January 24, 2014, 01:31:16 PM »

^ Yeah, the article said that you can e-mail the devs to see about early access. I got accepted myself, and it's pretty nice. I haven't really gotten into it, but I like it so far.

stefoid
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: January 24, 2014, 03:11:23 PM »

I would like to second libgdx.
Been playing around the last two weeks, and shall be using it for my 2nd Android game.

Im currently using libgdx.   It seems fine for 2D android stuff that I have done so far, but I could easily see myself porting to unity if libgdx doesnt prove satisfactory for IOS.

ARMPIT GAMES game design blog http://armpitgames.com
Liita
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: January 24, 2014, 03:28:03 PM »

.......... I haven't really gotten into it, but I like it so far.
Don't let it go to waste.
oodavid
Level 8

Discombobulate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: January 28, 2014, 07:58:41 AM »

I've been tinkering with game closure and having a pretty great time with it, is Javascript but compiles down into ios, Android, Facebook and html. Also has an instant/live preview environment which requires no compile time.

Has anyone been using this? V. Interested to meet other GC devs

Button up! - Out on Android and iOS

latest release: 13th March 2015
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: February 10, 2014, 01:38:00 AM »

Godot is out now. Had a quick play -- it uses all custom GUI stuff (like Blender) so is a little weird. Interested to see if anyone here has success with it..

indie11
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 20, 2014, 07:51:37 PM »

http://polycode.org has anyone used it? hows the performance in general? and what about its cross-platform capabilities?

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #274 on: March 20, 2014, 11:48:25 PM »

There's a thread here somewhere just about that.

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #275 on: March 21, 2014, 06:04:13 AM »

*poof*

@eigenbom - It's a cool engine that I'd like to use, but being still in beta means missing documentation and features, which is kind of a bummer. Hope they continue working on it!

HDSanctum
« Reply #276 on: March 30, 2014, 08:57:09 AM »

I've been taking a look at Godot. I really like what I am seeing so far, and the biggest thing is that the issues that I see are potentially easily fixed with a little work. I'll be exploring it further.
vibgyorc6
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: June 01, 2014, 03:05:20 PM »

I've been following this thread before I registered and I noticed nobody has mentioned Unreal Engine 4 yet. Well, it's out and Epic Games is offering it under a monthly subscription plan for $19 + 5% royalties to them if you monetize your game. It includes all tools and entire source code. It's quite a steal!

https://www.unrealengine.com/

I've been playing with it since it came out and I'm really enjoying it so far. They removed UnrealScript in favor of coding in native C++ and their new visual scripting system, Blueprints, but as of 4.2 there is an official plugin which adds support for scripting with Lua.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: June 01, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »

^ That is a good deal, especially since you only have to pay once to have and use it without any updates.

I've been taking a look at Godot. I really like what I am seeing so far, and the biggest thing is that the issues that I see are potentially easily fixed with a little work. I'll be exploring it further.

I've been working with it, too, and it's pretty nice. Kinda awkward in some respects, but it's lightweight and has a nice amount of features built-in. Cross-platform, too. The scripting's a bit weird as it attaches to Nodes and can extend from other scripts), but it's an interesting approach.

Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: June 05, 2014, 08:21:02 AM »

Godot seems promising. If nothing else, it will give the Linux community a decent game development tool that they can use on their operating system of choice. I'm not switching from Unity any time soon, but I'd be willing to give Godot a quick spin to see what it can do. I love the fact that it's so cross-platform capable, been wanting an engine like that for quite some time.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic