Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411421 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58417 Members - Latest Member: atQor

April 18, 2024, 05:08:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingDyson
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Dyson  (Read 25253 times)
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: December 04, 2008, 03:36:05 AM »

Great feedback thanks. We are hammering out the next additions and improvements and once we have done that I hope we have arrived at a more coherent and balanced place.

There is quite  alot to come so it is a bit too early to comment on a lot of the specifics before they are placed in the context of a more mature and deeper game.
We read all your feedback though and it is massively helpful!

Titch
Level 3

Cautiously Pragmatic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2008, 03:52:37 AM »

Don't really have any useful crit, but my friend watched me playing Dyson for about three minutes before he decided to copy it off my laptop when my back was turned.

Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: December 04, 2008, 02:42:41 PM »

That is great :-D
People seem to react well to it which is of course exremely gratifying. Thanks for sharing that!  Beer!

eddietree
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: December 04, 2008, 02:51:47 PM »

I lub lub love the visual style!  Beer!

Did you use opengl for the rendering?

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 04, 2008, 03:09:02 PM »

I played all the levels, and love the game.  A few requests:
A custom levels folder that autodetects custom levels, and put them in a menu, possibly under a new button on the main menu.  I would love to make custom levels, but there currently is no way other then to override default levels.  I'd also be nice if a list of events and actions where given, I can figure everything else out.

Second, it would be nice if holding down both mouse buttons, and then dragging to another planet would cause Dyson to automatically move from that planet, to the targeted one, both when they are spawn there, or when they fly to there.  That way one could create chains of planets that automatically move the Dyson to the front lines.

Also, as a note on how the AI work, after you get going, there are no real challenges.  I think if AI would fight harder against each other, then it would be more fun.  Personally, I think by the time that you have taken a third of the asteroids, then there should be two other AI that have taken the other thirds.  That way when your a titan, your facing other titans, instead of going from a weakling to a titan, and only facing small AI the whole time.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2008, 12:40:53 AM »

I played all the levels, and love the game.  A few requests:
A custom levels folder that autodetects custom levels, and put them in a menu, possibly under a new button on the main menu.  I would love to make custom levels, but there currently is no way other then to override default levels.  I'd also be nice if a list of events and actions where given, I can figure everything else out.
We are DEFINITELY supporting user made levels in the future and will adopt the UI to cope with this :-D

Second, it would be nice if holding down both mouse buttons, and then dragging to another planet would cause Dyson to automatically move from that planet, to the targeted one, both when they are spawn there, or when they fly to there.  That way one could create chains of planets that automatically move the Dyson to the front lines.
Not sure yet what we are going to do EXACTLY but improvements on seedling deployment are onthe way.

Also, as a note on how the AI work, after you get going, there are no real challenges.  I think if AI would fight harder against each other, then it would be more fun.  Personally, I think by the time that you have taken a third of the asteroids, then there should be two other AI that have taken the other thirds.  That way when your a titan, your facing other titans, instead of going from a weakling to a titan, and only facing small AI the whole time.
The idea is to create AI that is more diverse in tactics, goals and motivations so you end up with some serious thought being needed to progress, in stead of just learning the limitations and exploiting them. We have some good ideas on how to do this so this will definitely improve.

Laremere
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 05, 2008, 04:25:12 AM »

Thanks for the reply, I'll definitely be watching for the next release.

If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, is sound_tree_fall.play() called?

"Everything that is really great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
-Albert Einstein
Vinnnt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2009, 01:36:34 PM »

Played this off and on for a while, was terrible at it, and kept uninstalling and reinstalling it. Great game, though. I like the atmosphere. Just managed to beat level two.

Requests:
- Mention the pan/zoom capability in How-to-Play
- Record on the main menu if a level has been beaten
- Option to adjust the visibility/darkness of game colors
- Chance to cancel a new tree
- I took a boatload of screenshots, pausing the game. Any in-game screen capture?

It seemed that the enemies only attacked when aggravated. True? Is aggression an adjustable variable for each level? Though if you're planning different AI strategies, it's pointless for me to ask.

Was also concerned about the enemy being too close to the player's starting point, but if they only attack when bothered, we players should figure it out soon enough.

And some lag when moving a swarm of 552. Mixed batch of units. Were they all slowing to match the slowest astrobug, or was three swarms of 500, uh, too much for my comp?
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: January 06, 2009, 05:35:57 AM »

Hey thanks for the feedback and the requests, we'll see what we can incorporate in the next version.

In regards to the AI retaliation thing, it doesn't exist but people often think this is how it works. This is really fascinating to me as we never planned on this. AI strategies will be more diverse in the final game though.

Starflier
Level 2

I can't see how this could possibly go wrong...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2009, 07:44:48 AM »

This looks really beautiful, I love minimalistic games...

Metal Snail Idea Workshop - Hey, there's actually a website there now X(
Cats in the Kitchen - It's a comic about cooking, and the cooks that do it...
increpare
« Reply #70 on: March 20, 2009, 07:22:40 PM »

I'm very happily surprised to hear this'll be making an appearance on steam in the future Smiley  Good stuff, guys!
PaleFox
« Reply #71 on: March 22, 2009, 04:58:24 PM »

Really nice job, enjoyed it thoroughly. Haven't played the latest version so it might be implemented; but I was thinking a way to tell what stats the seedling were made with beyond their appearance might be helpful if it won't detract from the game. I remember having trouble connecting up the various things and what they meant for stats on the fly.

Otherwise, thumbs up, sir.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: March 22, 2009, 05:03:28 PM »

VE AVE DA GET DA DYSON

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic