Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411478 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58424 Members - Latest Member: FlyingFreeStudios

April 23, 2024, 08:25:15 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsHellas - greek vase game v25
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Hellas - greek vase game v25  (Read 105450 times)
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2012, 06:31:01 PM »

The addition of the skeleton is really bringing the game together. Looking really nice so far. Like the way you can grab him and move him. Also like the little behaviours you've given him such as jumping small gaps and slower reaction time if he's turned away.

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2012, 06:37:13 PM »

Just saw this for the first time and I must say it looks really nice so far. The greek vase idea works really well both visually and thematically, I think.

Good luck with this

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #142 on: March 23, 2012, 03:19:44 AM »

Thanks!

@Franklins: Yeah, with enemies now it's starting to resemble a game. Smiley

@eigenbom: So do I! Consider these my ode to Harryhausen.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 03:31:12 AM by Ninja Dodo » Logged

Marc Wilhelm
Level 0

I make a variety of games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: March 23, 2012, 09:12:39 AM »

I love this idea, the Greek aesthetic is terrific and you are exciting executing [edit] it well.  BTW Hellas is being used for another game project, doesn't mean you have to change the name tho.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1269000670/hellas-swords-and-sandals?ref=category
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 01:51:06 PM by Marc Wilhelm » Logged

“Failure isn’t a necessary evil. In fact, it isn’t evil at all. It is a necessary consequence of doing something new.”
― Ed Catmull, Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: March 23, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »

Glad you like it!

Regarding the board/card-game: I'm pretty sure you can't copyright the name of a country, and there are other things that use it, so I'm not particularly worried.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: March 24, 2012, 05:48:53 AM »

Version 10:

Download: http://www.ninjadodo.net/temp/hellas/hellas_v10.zip

So a first pass on the skeleton... only one for now as I need to figure out a good way to prevent them overlapping before I add the second one back in. I will try to get that done for the next version along with attacks and blocking.

Also made some more subtle changes: If you're about to run into an enemy and there's a spear on the ground next to it, attack is given priority over pick up. Also spears no longer damage the player when dropped (Z) in mid-air and there's less forward movement when throwing from stairs.

Wine now spawns in specific locations instead of anywhere. The choice of location is still fairly random but always somewhere where it will be clearly visible. Even with the orange outline the wine pickup just reads better on an open background.

The sword bouncing when you attack a wall is mostly just visual feedback at the moment, but I will also be using this for (shield) blocked attacks later. Still need to do sprites for mid-air and duck.

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: March 24, 2012, 06:01:24 AM »

Sweet, gonna go kill me some skeletons  Evil

ANtY
Level 10

i accidentally did that on purpose

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: March 24, 2012, 06:23:24 AM »

When I look at this thread I always wonder why I didn't post here anything yet.
Just wanted to say that this project is shaping really great, in the last version I had one issue: I couldn't drag objects with my mouse during some periods of time, dunno why.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #148 on: March 24, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »

Thanks. Smiley

I couldn't drag objects with my mouse during some periods of time, dunno why.

It's not a bug, but it's something the game needs to communicate more clearly: The GRAB-power is tied to sacrifices, so every time you use it costs one sacrifice (wine or sheep) which you can collect in the level. I'm going to have some kind of "need more sacrifice!" message for this later, but I have not implemented this yet.

I guess I need to make a font.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: March 24, 2012, 12:49:50 PM »

...one sacrifice, wine or sheep...

So it's probably because of the old boardgame Civilization, but I've been imagining those vases being full of olive oil.
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: March 24, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »

I suppose it could be, unless I show it pouring or specifically mention it in-game it could be anything... but wine is easier to depict than olive oil in a colour-scheme without green.

Marc Wilhelm
Level 0

I make a variety of games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #151 on: April 03, 2012, 09:26:30 AM »

I saw this on the news stand and thought I'd snap a shot. You could get some inspirational source-art from this.

“Failure isn’t a necessary evil. In fact, it isn’t evil at all. It is a necessary consequence of doing something new.”
― Ed Catmull, Creativity, Inc.: Overcoming the Unseen Forces That Stand in the Way of True Inspiration
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: April 04, 2012, 12:13:06 PM »

Good image. Thanks for the picture. Smiley

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: April 21, 2012, 03:52:49 PM »

I've been a bit quiet in the thread for a couple of weeks. Work continues.

I participated in the molyjam 2012 with my brother a few weeks back, which though time not spent on this project helped me figure out a few things... how to fix the moonwalk bug for example.

Still working on the skeletons. New version soon.

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: April 22, 2012, 04:14:12 AM »

In the meantime...

Some progress on sprites (new attack):

And a rough concept for an enemy I will be adding later:

Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #155 on: April 22, 2012, 04:29:21 AM »

In the meantime...

Some progress on sprites (new attack):

Yay skeletons! do they grow out of the ground like in Jason and the Argonauts?

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: April 22, 2012, 07:36:50 AM »

Not at the moment, but I will very likely use that later. The Argonauts skeletons were based on the Spartoi ("sown men")... so it would be in keeping with both the Harryhausen reference and the original myth to have them come from the ground.

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: April 22, 2012, 02:16:02 PM »

Out of curiosity what other foes are you planning on having in the game, if you don't mind me asking.

I would just as happily wait and be surprised.  Wink
Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: April 23, 2012, 07:05:36 AM »

I'm going to start with the Twelve Labours of Herakles and see how far I get. Smiley

Ninja Dodo
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: April 25, 2012, 08:58:37 AM »

New video:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic