Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 05:51:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 515443 times)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2780 on: May 15, 2013, 09:11:08 AM »

but the former is totally boring

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Bandages
« Reply #2781 on: May 15, 2013, 09:13:31 AM »

nothing exciting has every happened in real life Sad
ink.inc
« Reply #2782 on: May 15, 2013, 05:35:47 PM »

black butler only has the first season on netflix :c
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2783 on: May 15, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »

awwww , the second season is the best. But maybe it's not fully released for USA yet .

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #2784 on: May 15, 2013, 06:09:56 PM »

nothing exciting has every happened in real life Sad

One time a wet (we were near a lake) and obviously hallucinating man ran up to my dad and said "welcome to the club man". He then gave him a hug and ran away.

Think happy thoughts.
ink.inc
« Reply #2785 on: May 15, 2013, 06:13:50 PM »

one time i burned my hand with some boiling water and it hurt like fuck and then i went to sleep but when i went up there was a sizeable bubble of liquid under a thin layer of skin where the water touched me and i cut it with scissors and now i have a large scab on my drawing hand

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2786 on: May 15, 2013, 06:18:32 PM »

one time I saw a very little man near a cemetary and it might have been a goblin, but I'll never know for sure

s_l_m
Level 8

Open to collabs

View Profile
« Reply #2787 on: May 15, 2013, 06:24:00 PM »

One time I was making smoke bombs in my kitchen while my parents were away but I accidentally had the temperature on too hot and they exploded producing a beam of flame rising to the ceiling that just missed my face and filled the entire top of the house with smoke. I had to close all the curtains, run downstairs where the air was clear, and call two friends. They came over and we set up a bunch of air purifiers my parents had and opened the door to the garage to funnel smoke out the back. Then we cleaned up all the surfaces that dust had settled on, and I scrubbed the pot with steel wool to get the torched metal off (it for real burned stainless steel).

Real friends are real  Smiley

I still have flashbacks to the flame almost hitting my face occasionally

Think happy thoughts.
Conker534
« Reply #2788 on: May 15, 2013, 07:44:33 PM »

one time I was chased by gang members for my DS
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #2789 on: May 15, 2013, 07:54:31 PM »

Animé are far superior to all Western animation and feature the most complex, intricate and mature tropes a baka gaijin like you could never understand.
Nope I didn't say that Wink Token black character is not mature tropes either.

I mean where else you could see a black main that is hyper competent but also a woman with no allusion to her gender or skin color (gunsmith cat)?

Larry, the strong-willed, brown skinned, blue eyed, celibate lesbian gunsmith/bounty hunter teenager, is a pretty good example of exoticised characterisation.

And where else could you see a 17 year old former child prostitute who takes growth stunting drugs to stay attractive to her pedophile Japanese boyfriend?

There's a bit of a difference between representation in fiction because the creator is reflecting real people and depicting healthy attitudes of acceptance, vs. just using those elements in interestingly exotic fantasy for the entertainment of the audience. The latter can certainly be fun, but I think it's worth remembering that it's not really achieving the same thing as the former.
And that was my point, I said anything in typical manga is exotic, even the boring japaneese day life is up to 11, the absence of discrimination of treatment make it very comfortable for some minority. I have been discussing it with femeinist and an african (doing malaika princess on this very board) and the conclusion is the same, it's a fantasy where they don't feel excluded. Manga is big for that reason, anything can happen, regardless of gender, color skin, sexual orientation etc... I never say it was intelligent, it's just that the endless mix and blend of tropes to create fake freshness has a direct impact on some people. I mean there is flaws, but when you look up for strong character to identify with, manga have you more or less covered often enough, even if you have creepy tendency. Most problem of representation come from obvious different treatment, How many time I look at a movie to see automatically black character cast a thug victim with a harsh live or is the token sidekick, or worse must live up to a legacy of being black for all the wrong reason. So when a Manga like bleach come with a cast dark skin fantasy that match up other character we feel very good. Not counting character that aren't black but have a black culture influence (samourai shamploo) which further hide the seam and allow fluid identification across all character. When everything is exotic, nothing is anymore. Also afro samourai.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 08:07:45 PM by Gimym TILBERT » Logged

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #2790 on: May 15, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »

doesnt black butlers main character have the funniest fucking tryhard last name

come on, say it
Bandages
« Reply #2791 on: May 15, 2013, 10:51:22 PM »

PHANTOMHIVE
The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: May 15, 2013, 11:15:13 PM »

im gonna puke
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: May 15, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »

the best animëēèé is the one set in germany where everyone's last name is marmelade.

(also ofc its vastly superior to all forms of western gaijin animation and features the most complex plots ever etc etc)
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2794 on: May 15, 2013, 11:59:30 PM »

when you look up for strong character to identify with, manga have you more or less covered often enough, even if you have creepy tendency.
Are you talking about someone in particular yo?

The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: May 16, 2013, 12:18:05 AM »

no i think he means you can have a strong character of any "body type" and "skin color" and "gender" and "sexual orientation" (not really but whatev) but often they end up being sexually fetishized (yes)

i havent really seen anything treat the above tastefully

i mostly watch anime to see giant robot rocket punches

and absurd humor like sexy commando and cromartie
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: May 16, 2013, 12:34:01 AM »

the best animëēèé is the one set in germany where everyone's last name is marmelade.

(also ofc its vastly superior to all forms of western gaijin animation and features the most complex plots ever etc etc)

btw there are only 2 countries in the world: glorious nippon and The West.
Garthy
Level 9

Quack, verily

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2797 on: May 16, 2013, 04:01:57 AM »

And that was my point, I said anything in typical manga is exotic, even the boring japaneese day life is up to 11, the absence of discrimination of treatment make it very comfortable for some minority. I have been discussing it with femeinist and an african (doing malaika princess on this very board) and the conclusion is the same, it's a fantasy where they don't feel excluded. Manga is big for that reason, anything can happen, regardless of gender, color skin, sexual orientation etc... I never say it was intelligent, it's just that the endless mix and blend of tropes to create fake freshness has a direct impact on some people. I mean there is flaws, but when you look up for strong character to identify with, manga have you more or less covered often enough, even if you have creepy tendency. Most problem of representation come from obvious different treatment, How many time I look at a movie to see automatically black character cast a thug victim with a harsh live or is the token sidekick, or worse must live up to a legacy of being black for all the wrong reason. So when a Manga like bleach come with a cast dark skin fantasy that match up other character we feel very good. Not counting character that aren't black but have a black culture influence (samourai shamploo) which further hide the seam and allow fluid identification across all character. When everything is exotic, nothing is anymore. Also afro samourai.

I... but... generalisation... correlation... fallacy...

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2798 on: May 16, 2013, 05:03:59 AM »

I think what gilbert means is that
depicting healthy attitudes of acceptance [for minorities]
is an insidious form of racism, because why would they need to conform to someone's opinion of acceptance?

And most minorities prefer
just using those elements in interestingly exotic fantasy for the entertainment of the audience.
because it just fun and it provides real context for their difference without feeling that they have to act like poster boys for it.

For example, the only people who have a problem with charles ramsey aren't actually black. He is a cool guy and his fame dedramatizes the race thing

The Monster King
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2799 on: May 16, 2013, 06:18:56 AM »

finally you get to use a gif of a kawaii anime girl to express how you feel
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic