Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411967 Posts in 69456 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 01, 2024, 11:51:11 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 520762 times)
ink.inc
« Reply #300 on: January 31, 2012, 04:17:54 PM »

*fangirl squee*

kyaaa~~

<3333

Just watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

-I didn't really get the point of the movie
-Major plot points were simply glossed over.
-The main character was an idiot (HMM THERE IS A NUMBER ON MY ARM AND EACH TIME I JUMP THROUGH TIME IT GOES DOWN BY ONE WHAT COULD THIS POSSIBLY MEAN HMMMMM).
-Don't really recommend it.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 07:18:28 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #301 on: January 31, 2012, 04:45:44 PM »

i agree with phubans; japanese animation died with evangelion (it was the last terrible nail in the grave). that's not to say that there's nothing good anymore, but the proportions are wildly different. 90% of anime from the 80s was good, 50% of anime from the 90s was good, and only about 10% of anime from the 00s or 10s is good

and monster king, how can you not have heard of demon city shinjuku!? especially since its alternate translation title is... monster city

agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #302 on: January 31, 2012, 05:06:36 PM »

TL;DR - I haven't seen any anime past the year 2000 that was even close to being good, and the stuff that's all about little girls is a joke for ronery fanboys.

Have you seen Monster (2004) ? Mushishi (2005) ? Paprika (2006) ? The Sky Crawlers (2008) ?

I love anime from the 80s and 90s but there are still fantastic things being made nowadays in this medium.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:11:48 PM by agersant » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #303 on: January 31, 2012, 05:08:53 PM »

i haven't seen the other three, but i saw paprika and thought it was terrible (although still better than inception)

ink.inc
« Reply #304 on: January 31, 2012, 05:12:58 PM »

paprika was wonderfully animated but was lacking plot-wise
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #305 on: January 31, 2012, 05:13:56 PM »

The story wasn't that great but I always fall for Satoshi Kon's mind games. I admit it's probably his weakest work (I much prefer Millenium Actress, or even Perfect Blue) but I thought it was enjoyable.

I think the best reference on this list is Sky Crawlers, it's definitely worth watching ; unless you're expecting lots of dogfight scenes.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #306 on: January 31, 2012, 05:14:46 PM »

i felt the plot was fine, i'd say the problem was more in the characterization. i didn't care about any of the characters

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #307 on: January 31, 2012, 05:24:13 PM »

as an aside, it's sad that kon died so young (age 46), even though i didn't like paprika i liked some of his other work -- roujin z (which he animated, but didn't direct or write) and paranoia agent for instance

oyog
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #308 on: January 31, 2012, 06:51:58 PM »

paprika was wonderfully animated but was lacking plot-wise

First time I saw Paprika I thought it was SUPER DEEP 'cause I was extremely stoned.

Second and third time not so much.

Who ever recommended You Are Umasuo, thanks for that, it was a lot of fun, and DAMN those backgrounds are gorgeous.

It's been way too long since I've seen anime that caught my attention the way Ghost in the Shell, FLCL or Cowboy Bebop did and now I've got a huge list to work through.  I'll have to keep a closer eye on this thread.  I'm really looking forward to watching The Tatami Galaxy.
keo
« Reply #309 on: January 31, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »

speaking of umasou

I don't know if many people know about Future Boy Conan, it was a 24 episode series done by Miyazaki before he formed Studio Ghibli.  What I liked about Conan, was that he stuck to a high set of morals and never broke away from them, contrasted by the harsh setting and harsher characters.
ink.inc
« Reply #310 on: January 31, 2012, 07:34:59 PM »

I'm really looking forward to watching The Tatami Galaxy.

You will not be disappoint.

It takes a little while to get used to the brisk pace of the narration (the main character speaks without stopping for breath), but it adds a sort of humorous and matter-of-factual tone to all of the otherwise depressing things that happen to him.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #311 on: January 31, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »

I would almost call it deadpan narrative. It's really quite the spectacle.  Hand Fork Left Hand Knife Right

I loved this part:

I fell off my seat laughing reading that chart.

ink.inc
« Reply #312 on: January 31, 2012, 07:56:39 PM »

oh jougasaki, you crazy motherfucker

EDIT: Apparently the director of The Tatami Universe also worked on Cat Soup... will check that out later.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:18:37 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
keo
« Reply #313 on: January 31, 2012, 08:30:32 PM »

I wasn't sure I was going to like tatami galaxy but damn.  the narrative coupled with the story reminds me a bit of amelie.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 08:38:01 PM by #452 » Logged
ink.inc
« Reply #314 on: January 31, 2012, 09:09:55 PM »

Amelie, aka the greatest movie of all time.  Kiss
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #315 on: January 31, 2012, 09:22:08 PM »

Just watched The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

-I didn't really get the point of the movie
-Major plot points were simply glossed over.
-The main character was an idiot (HMM THERE IS A NUMBER ON MY ARM AND EACH TIME I JUMP THROUGH TIME IT GOES DOWN BY ONE WHAT COULD THIS POSSIBLY MEAN HMMMMM).
-Don't really recommend it.
I really liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Though there was some odd moments, like the weird fascination with the painting, I don't remember any major plot points that were glossed over. If you want another film by the same director, then check out Summer Wars. I would definitely say it's better than TGWLTT.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 09:31:44 PM by Fission Mailed » Logged
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #316 on: January 31, 2012, 09:32:15 PM »

not even in the top 10,000

ink.inc
« Reply #317 on: January 31, 2012, 09:54:45 PM »

I really liked The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Though there was some odd moments, like the weird fascination with the painting, I don't remember any major plot points that were glossed over. If you want another film by the same director, then check out Summer Wars. I would definitely say it's better than TGWLTT.

There were certain aspects of the story that were just... unexplained, or nonsensical.

-Why was that guy so fascinated with that painting that he would travel through time just to see it? That was never explained, and it seemed to be kind of a big deal. After all, it was the entire reason EVERYTHING in the story happened. If it wasn't important, then it only served as a distraction, and the film would have been better without it.

-I found it really odd that the aunt knew so much about time jumping, and was discussing it so nonchalantly. It doesn't seem to be THAT common of a phenomenon; the only reason Makoto was able to do it was because of device that Chiaki brought from the future with him (and lost, which was pretty much the most irresponsible thing you can think of)

-The first time Makoto jumped through time on purpose, why did she warp back to the point when she jumped after a short amount of time?

-If Chiaki wanted to bang Makoto so much, why didn't he just... go back to the future, get another charge of time leap energy, then just warp back?

-That time when Makoto is afraid that her friend will crash into the train because her bike brakes are busted: Nothing happens the first time. But when Chiaki confronts Makoto over the phone about time leaping, and she resets time for a few minutes to try to avoid that conversation, why does her friend end up dying that time? Nothing major had changed. It was just out of the blue.

-The characters were likeable enough, I suppose. It was kind of cute to see Makoto try to solve all her friends problems and have it all backfire on her. There were a couple of laughs to be had, but overall, it just didn't click with me.

not even in the top 10,000

lies

LIES

DONT LISTEN TO HIM AMELIE

THERE THERE

SHHHHH
phubans
Indier Than Thou
Level 10

TIG Mascot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #318 on: January 31, 2012, 11:34:10 PM »

Maybe PEres doesn't like Amalie because she sorta looks like him??

I heard Amalie sucked; it's "cute" and "French" or something... That sounds pretty horrible.

The Monster King
Level 10

FRKUC im ALWAYS ANGRY AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAnerd

View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 01, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »

japan really likes the romantic idea of amelie yeah

reminds me of Detroit Metal City

John do me a favor and watch Detroit Metal City you will like it is SUPER KAWAII
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic