Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:13:32 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralAll Purpose Animu Discussion
Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 259
Print
Author Topic: All Purpose Animu Discussion  (Read 515718 times)
Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4420 on: August 02, 2014, 03:58:13 AM »

Barakamon and Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun are both nice lighthearted comedy

Ao Haru Ride is very typical shoujo material, if you've not already watched the likes of Kare Kano, Toradora, Kimi ni Todoke then don't bother with it.

The "serious" series this season are mostly mediocre, Zankyou no terror is watchable but if you don't mind reading manga then Akumetsu would probably end up more interesting.

Well I'II pick up Barakamon since I do need a few chuckles and I'II read Akumetsu since I haven't really read a decent manga in a good while.

Life sucks and then you die.
Aik
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4421 on: August 02, 2014, 06:30:16 AM »

Akumetsu is terrible and Zankyou no Terror is thus far significantly better.
That said I'm still not sure that Zankyou no Terror is going to end up being a good show overall. The direction is good but the plot is dodgy. Still, worth a look - it has lots of potential.

Otherwise I'm enjoying Aldnoah Zero, Tokyo Ghoul, Nobunaga Concerto, Sabagebu, and Tokyo ESP enough to (cautiously) recommend them.
There's nothing truly amazing here, but each is a solidly enjoyable way to spend 20 minutes a week.
Rayiner
« Reply #4422 on: August 02, 2014, 06:47:43 AM »

Tokyo ESP is epic.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4423 on: August 02, 2014, 06:54:53 AM »

What do you see in Aldnoah Zero with its one dimensional characters? How anyone couldn't have anticipated episodes 2-3 after vastly superior Mars forces were portrayed as such? And yeah, Akumetsu is pretty shallow and preachy with the teenager on a crusade to stop the bad guys thing, i'd still argue theres more weight to it than these quirky genius teens playing terrorists in ZnT.

I don't think our tastes will ever line up, Aik... not liking Genshiken and somehow enjoying Tokyo ESP and Nobunaga Concerto which is bait for the Fujioshi types. Oh well, guess that makes things more diverse. You seem to get a kick out of unusual plots aimed at teens.

Have you tried Tetsuwan Birdy Decode, Now and then Here and there, Kami-sama no Memochou, Mousou Dairinin? - they tick similar boxes.

Aldnoah zero is like 24 episodes
Wait at least 15+ to start judging a bit and the ending to really do so

we are at like 4th episode
For the moment i like that , if it was 11/13 episodes then yeah maybe.

Zankyuu no terror is awesome too , some episodes reminded conan cold case (detective conan )

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4424 on: August 02, 2014, 08:39:14 AM »

Akumetsu is terrible and Zankyou no Terror is thus far significantly better.
That said I'm still not sure that Zankyou no Terror is going to end up being a good show overall. The direction is good but the plot is dodgy. Still, worth a look - it has lots of potential.

Otherwise I'm enjoying Aldnoah Zero, Tokyo Ghoul, Nobunaga Concerto, Sabagebu, and Tokyo ESP enough to (cautiously) recommend them.
There's nothing truly amazing here, but each is a solidly enjoyable way to spend 20 minutes a week.

Thanks for the advice, I'II pick up your recommendations. 

Life sucks and then you die.
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4425 on: August 02, 2014, 11:54:19 AM »

Are you unfamiliar with the 3 episode rule? But seriously, if thats how they're portraying characters initially then its pretty clear they're not going for anything of depth, theres no ambiguity. When you have manga like Koukou no Hito, Vagabond and Punpun that have these more cloudy and hard to grasp characters that are more akin to real people than cardboard cut outs it has a tendancy to hold my interest. It just seems lazy to me, almost akin to the Scooby doo badguys.

Nope , i know the 3 episodes rule stuff
but i dont judge already a tv series in the beginning , anything good can happen after

Anyway the episode 5 is out , can't wait to check it.

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4426 on: August 02, 2014, 01:06:11 PM »

Never trust exposition in manga they can always turn things up by the middle episode ...
If there isn't big tell it's either the minor details, so you have 1 chance in 3 that is really sucks

Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #4427 on: August 03, 2014, 01:42:34 PM »

Just finished Code Geass, pretty awesome show  Gomez

ink.inc
« Reply #4428 on: August 06, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »

rip animu

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/04/studio-ghibli-will-no-longer-be-making-feature-films
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 02:30:45 PM by John Sandoval » Logged
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4429 on: August 06, 2014, 03:37:30 PM »

Miyazaki was the mickeal bay of emotions
it's was the same damn story with the same damn character and the same damn plot point, aka young girl in fantastical world learn to grew up and be an adult (remove porco rosso). Instead of explosion you have awesome animation, but they were kinda the same ... TAKAHASHI FOREVER (graves of the fireflies). Too bad satoshi kon died but he also was the same, reskinning the same story over and over and over.

We can learn from all them

jiitype
« Reply #4430 on: August 07, 2014, 01:33:53 PM »

it's was the same damn story with the same damn character and the same damn plot point, aka young girl in fantastical world learn to grew up and be an adult (remove porco rosso).

You forgot The Castle of Cagliostro and The Wind Rises. Also all the short films and mangas.
Ammypendent
Level 0

Indiedev

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4431 on: August 07, 2014, 02:28:40 PM »

it's was the same damn story with the same damn character and the same damn plot point, aka young girl in fantastical world learn to grew up and be an adult (remove porco rosso). Instead of explosion you have awesome animation, but they were kinda the same ... TAKAHASHI FOREVER (graves of the fireflies). Too bad satoshi kon died but he also was the same, reskinning the same story over and over and over.

We can learn from all them

Mononoke's main character, Ashitaka, is already mature. On the other end, the kids in Ponyo are quite far from becoming adults. And Nausicaa manga (which goes beyond the movie) really focused on mankind dealing with the environment rather than her becoming and adult.

But I see your point that Miyazaki's most well known movies have very similar themes.

Cool videos you linked by the way.

Twitter
agersant
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #4432 on: August 07, 2014, 03:45:49 PM »

it's was the same damn story with the same damn character and the same damn plot point, aka young girl in fantastical world learn to grew up and be an adult (remove porco rosso). Instead of explosion you have awesome animation, but they were kinda the same ... TAKAHASHI FOREVER (graves of the fireflies).

The name is Takahata.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4433 on: August 07, 2014, 04:38:53 PM »

Takahata senpai! what i have done to you Cry

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4434 on: August 08, 2014, 02:07:49 PM »

Been watching Attack on Titan at last. I was really excited at the possibility of having a decoy protagonist and then switching to further develop Mikasa (whom up to that point was the Rei), and even possibly John/Jean, who, despite having started like a Jerkass, all his dealings with leadership would eventually lead him to some strong character development. For a couple of episodes I was hoping this would be like Evangelion (extremely intense operations aginast all odds-)  meets Game of Thrones (-where anyone can die). I was hoping incrased use of wits would save the da, rather than Titan ex machina. Oh well, still enjoying at lot, I am just sad this could have been one of my favorite series instead of just a really enjoyable one.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4435 on: August 08, 2014, 02:53:08 PM »

Titan s2 is in the work btw

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4436 on: August 10, 2014, 06:30:47 PM »

Currently getting ready to watch Hitsugi no Chaika.

Dem eyebrows.

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4437 on: August 11, 2014, 04:43:36 AM »

Dem eyebrows.

Dat voice

thanks gimym for the videos of kon satoshi

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #4438 on: August 11, 2014, 06:40:57 AM »

Dem eyebrows.

Dat voice

Shocking truth!

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4439 on: August 11, 2014, 07:06:48 AM »

Watched

Mock Anger ORE NO IMOUTO GA KONNA NI KAWAII WAKE GA NAI Mock Anger

a couple of weeks ago. Both seasons. Kool.

Pages: 1 ... 220 221 [222] 223 224 ... 259
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic