Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411494 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58434 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 02:02:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBest Japanese games/devs?
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Best Japanese games/devs?  (Read 4180 times)
Vegas
Level 0

Skull Servant

View Profile WWW
« on: September 04, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »

What are your favorite Japanese (indie) games and developers?

Right now I'm learning Japanese and trying for immersion during the school year in addition to my classes so I can really learn it. I've already downloaded Cave Story in Japanese for my Mac.

Thanks!

"You can go to hell, and I will go to Texas"
Uykered
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 08:36:12 PM »

I like Shinobu Yagawa's games.
sauyadav
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2011, 08:50:50 PM »

Let me point you to the HardCore Gaming. Its a treasure troove for japanese games as well as much more. Also look for older games on PC-98, Sharp X68000 and other japanese systems.
There are many gems on SNES too that are yet to be translated.
iffi
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 09:51:13 PM »

Team Shanghai Alice - Touhou Project

Edit: woot 800 posts
deathtotheweird
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 10:24:59 PM »

ABA makes some interesting things: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html

Ikiki makes some ok games as well but you may have a hard time finding them. there was a thread that had a collection..may search for it and you'll find it.

and indie or not, God Hand is one of the best Japanese games ever
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »

I second for ABA.

Solid Image is about as old school as ABA.

There was this thread "How do you find Japanese indie games?" that you might find useful. Vector's game page is probably the one I visit the most often, but there are a lot of rough games there. So, checking out the ones they've reviewed helps to cut out much of the clutter.

One source I've used occasionally that wasn't mentioned in the thread is 4Gamer.net. Their Small Rooms of Indie Games covers Japanese and Western indie games now, but their older posts were mainly Japanese.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 05:09:38 AM »

Kansai Drive Project are my favorite devs, back in the time they created a lot of old classics such as afternoon-tensai, Shinda axe, Bad Rally or Annata-wa, Departed.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 05:13:24 AM »

Yes.
Richard Kain
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 08:38:33 AM »

I've always been a fan of Treasure. They've always had a gift for games with frenetic energy. They are also the kings of the shmup genre.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 09:29:42 AM »

Japanese "indie" devs?...uhh idk, try the Touhou games or Gigantic Army or Cho Ren Sha 68K. I don't really keep up with the doujin scene much though, and none of these games will probably help you learn Japanese much if that's what you want to use them for.

If you don't care whether the game is "indie" or not: from a language perspective you'd probably want to play JRPGs since those are heavy on dialogue. If you're going to go that route I'd suggest at least playing a good one, like Mother 3 or the Mario JRPGs. Or maybe play SRPGs like Fire Emblem or Valkyria Chronicles, since those also have dialogue scenes between battles.

If you just want great Japanese games and dev names regardless of whether they'll help in learning the language: play games by Hideki Kamiya, Shinji Mikami, Tsuneki Ikeda, Yu Suzuki, Shinobu Yagawa, Yuji Naka, Miyamoto, etc. Tons more I haven't listed and these are mostly modern developers but yeah.

They are also the kings of the shmup genre.

w e l p

The only two Treasure games you absolutely need to play are Alien Soldier and Ikaruga. Maybe Dynamite Headdy or Gradius V too.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2011, 09:31:45 AM »

i like all of them; but for purposes of learning japanese you may want to focus on the text-heavy games. for instance, japanese visual novels

Aloshi
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2011, 09:51:09 AM »

I like Platine Dispositif's games. Demos for most of them are here: http://www.invertedcastle.com/archives/2007/02/20/temporary-platine-dispositif-download-mirror-go/

I thought Bunny Must Die and Engage to Jabberwock were pretty good, though it takes time to get used to the controls of both. Hitogata Happa is also worth a mention. I think most of those have translation patches if you look around a bit.

Acceleration of Suguri (and its expansion, X-edition) is fun too (and in English!). Video

, demo here, and you can buy it on GamersGate here.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2011, 09:56:48 AM »

The only two Treasure games you absolutely need to play are Alien Soldier and Ikaruga. Maybe Dynamite Headdy or Gradius V too.
Strongly disagree. Almost every Treasure game is good. Bangai-O, Radiant Silvergun, Gunstar Heroes and Guardian Heroes (XBLA remake this fall btw) and Sin & Punishment 2 (the best 3d "rail shooter" ever) are other "essentials" in the Treasure catalog.

BTW Ikaruga is the most overrated shmup ever. Still very, very good though.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 10:02:52 AM by C.A. Sinclair » Logged
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2011, 10:00:14 AM »

Yes.
YES.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2011, 10:56:55 AM »

Agree with Team Shanghai Alice; they took the "magical girl" stuff and made some real magic with it. Especially the spinoff games like the oh-so-deviously-designed MegaMari. I kinda wished they'd have tapped that level design in TouhouVania too, considering how well illustrated/orchestrated the game is.

Vanguard Princess is a great fighter title, especially considering it was developed by one person. And it's a crime that nobody's mentioned La Mulana yet. And believe it or not, once upon a time, "Dance Dance Revolution" was an indie game, too. There's a lot of good indie-Stepmania spinoff series too, like DWI Extreme and Dancing Wipeout (although technically, they aren't japanese). RED ALiCE of now-TSA fame actually made the first DDR fangame like that I'd ever played. Possibly even in existence!

HöllenKobold
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 11:01:17 AM »

Yes.
I consider Shinji Mikami a great auteur to follow.

I don't really play much Japanese indie games at all. If anything, I played Touhou back in 2008 and that was it.

Hell pits tend to be disguised as
things that would lead a passerby to
not think of them as portals to
eternal gnashing and wailing.
Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 11:04:53 AM »

Try Yume Nikki and .flow - official english speaking imageboard, dedicated to the both games

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 03:36:04 PM »

the japanese are bugs; that is to say large insects, in suits that resemble humans
JWK5
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 04:01:54 PM »

the japanese are bugs; that is to say large insects, in suits that resemble humans
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 06:09:37 PM »

1440 is totally a illuminati number

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic