Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411501 Posts in 69379 Topics- by 58435 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 30, 2024, 04:02:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesBest Japanese games/devs?
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Best Japanese games/devs?  (Read 4181 times)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2011, 09:41:36 PM »

+1 again on Godhand. I love that game.

Besides that Demons Souls by From Software. 2 years now and I'm still addicted to it.

If you are trying to learn Japanese with a text heavy game then look at Cing's games. Hotel Dusk 215 is one of my favorite portable games of this gen. Great game.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 02:40:25 AM »

I'd also like to +1 on Hotel Dusk. For a gloomy character like Kyle Hyde it's incredible how much power his smile has in the rare moments he does so.
Totally not homogay though.

By the way, is the sequel worth it? I never see anyone talking about it.
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 08:01:35 AM »

the japanese are bugs; that is to say large insects, in suits that resemble humans

seems reasonable
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 11:43:56 AM »

I'd also like to +1 on Hotel Dusk. For a gloomy character like Kyle Hyde it's incredible how much power his smile has in the rare moments he does so.
Totally not homogay though.

By the way, is the sequel worth it? I never see anyone talking about it.

I have it but have been waiting for a whole day or 2 where I can just play the game in one or 2 sitting. That looks like it's coming up very soon Smiley

Still need to play hotel dusk  again to get the other endings.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 01:20:15 PM »

If you liked Hotel Dusk, you'll like Last Window just as much.
iffi
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 05:20:02 PM »

And it's a crime that nobody's mentioned La Mulana yet.
I was considering saying that (it's one of my favorite games!) but I'm not sure how useful it'd be to someone trying to learn Japanese, given how difficult it can already be to understand it in English.

Paul Eres's suggestion makes sense - you're bound to find a lot of text in visual novels.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 07:22:48 PM »

Well, for learning Japanese, I would highly suggest fighters like SF and KoF series. Move names are usually directly-translated with ease, and win quotes make for quippy, memorable tidbits that you can easily associate with personalities and phrases.

"Gomen Ne!"
"Yoroshiku Onigaishimasu"
"Doitsma Koitsma"
"Athena, Ikkimasu!"

Having them voiceovered helps a lot with pronounciation too, and a lot of the modern/3D-engine ones like Super SF IV or KoF Max Impact reg. A (or 2006/MI 2) also have translation subtitle options for the intro/outro quotes, too.

Dance Dance Revolution series have some foreign-origin songs that you can learn lyrics and definitions to. A few of the peppy ones were actually redone/translated into English versions, too; and one song called "SUNKISS (heart) DROP" actually has an internal randomizer where it picks either an English or a Japanese version of the track. But the games themselves, even in the Japanese versions, are quite English-friendly/heavy. (If anything, that's more of a good way for Japs to learn English.)

Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 03:56:21 AM »

Well, for learning Japanese, I would highly suggest fighters like SF and KoF series. Move names are usually directly-translated with ease, and win quotes make for quippy, memorable tidbits that you can easily associate with personalities and phrases.

"Gomen Ne!"
"Yoroshiku Onigaishimasu"
"Doitsma Koitsma"
"Athena, Ikkimasu!"

Having them voiceovered helps a lot with pronounciation too, and a lot of the modern/3D-engine ones like Super SF IV or KoF Max Impact reg. A (or 2006/MI 2) also have translation subtitle options for the intro/outro quotes, too.

Dance Dance Revolution series have some foreign-origin songs that you can learn lyrics and definitions to. A few of the peppy ones were actually redone/translated into English versions, too; and one song called "SUNKISS (heart) DROP" actually has an internal randomizer where it picks either an English or a Japanese version of the track. But the games themselves, even in the Japanese versions, are quite English-friendly/heavy. (If anything, that's more of a good way for Japs to learn English.)

there's a reason you've never met a japanese tourist who sounds like street fighter: the movie: the game
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 01:23:06 PM »

If you liked Hotel Dusk, you'll like Last Window just as much.

whaaa? I never knew this existed. I thought Again was the sequel to Hotel Dusk. How does Again fit into the storyline?

Gonna have to start tracking down a copy.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 01:42:21 PM »

Yeah, I was talking about Last Window. I have no idea what Again is.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2011, 02:13:07 PM »

Again is Cing's last game. Idk if it ties in with the Hotel Dusk storyline (I think not) but it got pretty terrible reviews so I didn't import (I'm in Europe).
kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2011, 02:44:41 AM »

I'm probably being a little dismissive, but it doesn't look too good from the Youtube videos I've seen. Besides, I think I rather play Last Window and Another Code.

And not that it matters, but according to wiki Last Window was Cing's last game, not Again.
Doorknob
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 06:33:33 AM »

For learning Japanese, I would suggest to play a game that has both text and voice. If there's a word you don't know, look it up in the dictionary and have it memorized (Anki is especially good in this regard).

Elona - An odd roguelike where you try to save the world, be able to break walls without retaliation, and ride on little girls who are your pets. Supports both English and Japanese. English however does have lots of cut scenes cut.

Freemu - Contains lots of free indie games and updates frequently.

Silver Wolf - One of my favorite developer, he has made a similar engine to RPG Makers only much more beefed up. Most of his games are made in this engine and here is one in action (RPG/STG hybrid):

He also holds annual contests with people who makes games on the engine. The last one just ended about three weeks ago: http://www.silversecond.com/WolfRPGEditor/Contest/

Here are some commercial games you might want to check out.
Mana Khemia (PS2) - Enjoyed the battles and overall world greatly, although the battle does somewhat fall off after halfway through.
Baldr Sky Dive (PC 18+) - I personally started with this eroge to learn and while I only comprehended about half of it first time I started(interwebs, neuro implants, and insane religious priests) it was definitely a great experience. Here is a small translation I have done over video for a particular scene(SFW):

Live A Live (SNES)
Tales of Phantasia (PS1)
InfiniteStateMachine
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2011, 08:18:48 PM »

Again is Cing's last game. Idk if it ties in with the Hotel Dusk storyline (I think not) but it got pretty terrible reviews so I didn't import (I'm in Europe).

tbh I bought it based off hotel dusk 215. IIRC I read it was a sequel somewhere so I got it without even thinking to look up reviews.

Will let you guys know how it is once I get through it.

Gguo
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 04:36:16 PM »

ABA makes some interesting things: http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~cs8k-cyu/index_e.html

Ikiki makes some ok games as well but you may have a hard time finding them. there was a thread that had a collection..may search for it and you'll find it.

and indie or not, God Hand is one of the best Japanese games ever

I enjoyed their game at windows about 12 years ago.
Glad to know they still makes interesting game!!!!  Beer!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic