Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 05:18:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignLooking for MSc formation or similar.
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for MSc formation or similar.  (Read 941 times)
pakoito
Level 0

Raging dev

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2011, 02:20:50 AM »

Hi,

I just finished my two BCs con Computer Sciences and I want some specific formation in Game Design, as it is my goal career. I'm not sure about what Masters are good or where to take them right now. I've looked in gamecareerguide but it's not quite specific about the quality or satisfaction fo the people doing them. So I want to hear TIG's opinion on the matter. European schools only, also.

Thanks a lot, fellow partners :D
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 11:39:13 PM »

I think a better question is what you expect further education can do for you.

If you have a Bachelor's in CompSci, then you know how to read code, one assumes you're familiar with a broad selection of languages, can easily pick up others, as well as learn new libraries. And you've proven to a potential employer that you can finish a long project (which is, tbh, the primary value of a degree in an employer's eyes). So what else do you want to learn?

I suggest to start making games instead.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
pakoito
Level 0

Raging dev

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 01:47:41 AM »

It's mostly because over the years I've tried to do my own games from scratch, and I have had a lots of hours of tinkering with several libraries and middleware but at the end of the day most of the work I was doing was mostly game engine making, no real games.

I read here and gamecareerguide that I should instead start using fast prototyping tools like GameMaker and such, but even though I've been able to create a couple of prototypes in a couple of afternoons I feel like I'm going directionless most of the time so a bit of "you have to do this and try that and know this theories and program languages" wouldn't hurt.

Now if you mean getting a job right off the bat I'm trying at the same time, but I think it is it quite difficult to break in as Designer. And starting as Programmer I think I don't have enough proven experience or portfolio with what the industry usually asks for when I see the job requirements Sad
TomHunt
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 08:16:19 AM »

Jesse Schell's book _The Art of Game Design_ may be for you, then. The deck of cards that complements the book is kind of handy, too. While it is not a map to the buried treasure you seek - that only resides in your own dreams and imagination - it is exactly what you're looking for - a compass to point you in the right direction when you're lost.

Try not to get too caught up in book-reading, though. You want to be transitioning out of academic mode and into production mode at this point. The books should be more for reference and skill-sharpening. You can learn a lot more, and will gain more skill by practicing - and in this context that means making - start to finish - full, complete, increasingly polished games.

~tom | □³ | kRYSTLR
starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 04:10:41 AM »

It's mostly because over the years I've tried to do my own games from scratch, and I have had a lots of hours of tinkering with several libraries and middleware but at the end of the day most of the work I was doing was mostly game engine making, no real games.

I read here and gamecareerguide that I should instead start using fast prototyping tools like GameMaker and such, but even though I've been able to create a couple of prototypes in a couple of afternoons I feel like I'm going directionless most of the time so a bit of "you have to do this and try that and know this theories and program languages" wouldn't hurt.

More schooling isn't going to teach how to stop procrastinating. I'm not trying to be a dick or snarky, but if you've identified that you feel directionless and find yourself tinkering more with the code mechanics than playing with game mechanics -- what kind of class is going to teach you to stop playing with basecode and start playing with gamecode?

IMHO, I think procrastination, intimidation, etc, are all psychological impediments that are by far harder ones to surpass than the technical ones, but education isn't going to help you surpass them.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
pakoito
Level 0

Raging dev

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 04:59:58 AM »

I don't think like you're being a dick, I thank any feedback I get. What really put me off finishing games was mostly lack of time because the BScs were "more important" and I couldn't take time off class assignments to do my own projects, and my spare time was very scarce.

But, a good but here, a couple of years ago I got a small scolarship and I was able to finish my own clone of M&Ms battle engine for J2ME: http://wartricks.blogspot.com/ so if I'm given time I do finish my projects. Also, fuck J2ME. Anyway what I mean is that if I get a job I'll still be on the same spot, while some focused education would give time, means and meaning to all work I do. Also, being able to work with other people with the same interests and problems to solve.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic