Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 12:58:25 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSuper Fortran Soccer Cannon
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Super Fortran Soccer Cannon  (Read 2125 times)
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« on: September 10, 2011, 10:35:59 AM »

Several months ago, a conversation in IRC somehow arrived on the title "Super Fortran Soccer Cannon," and I decided that I had to make this game a reality.

I've started working on it this morning.  During the week I work on Franchise, so this is strictly a weekend thing.

If Human Cannonball and

had a baby, it would be Super Fortran Soccer Cannon.

In each stage you have a cannon loaded with a soccer ball.  You control the angle and firing speed of the cannon.  There is a goal somewhere in the stage, and your shot must reach the goal.  Each stage is filled with obstacles, mostly a variety of different wall types with different physical properties.

You earn points for everything you hit along the way, so the crazier your shot is, the better.  However, your shot must reach the goal, or else it doesn't count for anything.  Each stage has a minimum score that must be met to advance to the one.  Each stage will also have it's own gravity strength, for even crazier shots.

The ball physics will coded in Fortran, the premier language for actual physics work.  The rest of the program will be in C++/Objective-C++.  The first thing I'm doing is writing the stage editor, then I'll get cracking on the game.

The game is first being developed for Linux/Mac/Windows.  There will be a total rewrite in Java for the Android platform.  There will possibly be ports to iOS and Windows Phone as well.  The phone versions will have the "Fortran" dropped from the name, and will just be called "Super Soccer Cannon."

Updates on the project will likely be posted at the conclusion of every weekend, and once the editor is complete, I'll post it for public use.

What would John Carmack do?
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:12:57 PM »

Spent the weekend working on the stage editor, and it's almost usable.  The Linux version will be the first one done, so I'll post that for people to play around with when it's ready.

I'm going to a classic gaming expo next weekend, so I won't be touching the project this week.  Should be enthusiastic and full of ideas two weeks from now.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 05:47:33 PM »

The Linux editor is almost complete.  I placeholder-ed out on all the graphics, eventually just making black boxes with white text.

It's almost completely functional.  I have to do saving and loading, and then the trajectory prediction system, which will be fairly complex.  Fortunately, that code can be reused for the game.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 10:06:14 PM »

Man, I need to learn how to make GUI editors.  Sad

Anyway, I like physics games like this. So I'll be watching!  Smiley

If you do port to mobile, be aware of the imminent accusations that you "COPIED ANGRY BIRDZ." all over your reviews.  Cheesy

JackMenhorn
Level 2

Sound Designer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 08:09:09 AM »

Yes.

Sound Designer<br />www.jackmenhorn.com

Nova-111 OST: https://jackmenhorn.bandcamp.com/album/nova-111
Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 07:01:51 PM »

If you do port to mobile, be aware of the imminent accusations that you "COPIED ANGRY BIRDZ." all over your reviews.  Cheesy

I've actually never even played or seen Angry Birds, although I have a vague idea of how it plays.  Hopefully I can explain to the angry hordes that I was inspired by an Atari 2600 game, but they probably won't be old enough to even know what that is.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2011, 04:00:12 PM »

Got the editor back-end and Linux front-end basically done this weekend, aside from the parts related to trajectory prediction.

I'll probably start working on the Mac front-end to the editor next.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2011, 07:44:45 PM »

Mac editor front-end is now well underway, will hopefully be finishing it up next weekend.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »

Well, the Mac editor is now functional.

Next weekend, I start working on the Windows build.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2011, 03:22:31 PM »

The Windows version of the editor is now well underway, and with luck I'll have it done next weekend.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2011, 05:12:15 PM »

The joys and difficulties of the Windows API have kept me from the getting the Windows editor ready this weekend.  Should be able to wrap things up next week.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2011, 09:28:22 AM »

The Windows API sapped my will to live this weekend, so I didn't get much work done, opting instead to play Shining in the Darkness and watch football.

Perhaps next weekend.

Average Software
Level 10

Fleeing all W'rkncacnter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 05:27:09 PM »

Well the Windows version of the editor is now on par with the other two.

I'm now working on a Haiku version of the editor, then I get to start doing the fun stuff.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2011, 05:04:58 AM »

So, is there any advantage to writing the physics engine in Fortran? I thought the benefits of that language only came into play when using massive amounts of particles or similar physics problems.

Please understand, I think it's pretty awesome that you're using it regardless Smiley.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic