Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58432 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 08:41:49 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsBlender Game Engine Tutorials / Resource Site
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Blender Game Engine Tutorials / Resource Site  (Read 2061 times)
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« on: September 13, 2011, 09:49:57 AM »

Hey. So I have a game development site called Game Up! which has tutorials and resources for making games using the Blender Game Engine, which is a free, cross-platform 3D game engine integrated into the already great 3D modeler, Blender. It also has and will have non-Blender specific tutorials present as well, but for the most part, I'm a Blenderhead. Cheesy

Among the tutorials and resources, there are:

• An external Python module to quickly add things like Mouse-look, node paths (an improved version is coming), and mouse-orbiting.
  • A series of tutorials on using Python to make a game in the BGE. Currently 8 parts in.
  • An external Python module to efficiently handle in-game particle calculation.
  • A couple of tutorials on creating OpenGL screen filters.

There is more to the site, as well.. Smiley

EDIT: I'm thinking of adding pixel-art tutorials; I have to get to work on that, though.

If you're interested, you can find it here.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 04:21:08 AM by Derek » Logged

Theophilus
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 10:29:58 AM »

Neat. I've always wanted to use the blender game engine but I don't really understand how to at all.
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 11:12:06 AM »

can you make a lightweight standalone game or do you have to package all the blender stuff with your games?

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 11:26:18 AM »

You don't have to package all of the Blender executable files, but you do have to include a Python distribution and some associated DLL files (on Windows; not sure about Mac or Linux). EDIT: Come to think of it, if you don't use any Python, maybe you don't have to include the Python distro.

The player's 11 MB, but with the DLL files and such it goes up to around 32 MB or so. That's not that bad, though, considering average Internet download speeds (32 MB = an hour on a bad connection nowadays), and what the BGE's capable of, graphically (Dead Cyborg was a game made with the BGE).

Also, you can hack away some of the Python distribution that you don't need (socket, e-mail, html, http, etc) for less size. A recent test I had with no size optimization was around 70 MB, but I also had sounds and a 10 MB wave file BGM song. :I

EDIT: I should make a smaller Python library for distribution for usual applications in the BGE (i.e. no excess Python libraries).
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 11:51:03 AM by SolarLune » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 06:18:58 PM »

I can't wait for a 3D classic sonic engine tutorial to show off the usefulness and universality of the engine Well, hello there!

SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 06:25:17 PM »

Heh, maybe I should make that, actually... I've gotten a pretty good amount of the code finished already, now that I think about it...

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 09:38:45 PM »

yay!

can't wait to see a gravity defying sphere run

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic