Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411469 Posts in 69368 Topics- by 58422 Members - Latest Member: daffodil_dev

April 23, 2024, 06:09:49 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamescloning games; minecraft; and terrible people
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Author Topic: cloning games; minecraft; and terrible people  (Read 36118 times)
mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: September 24, 2011, 12:01:45 AM »

Players do love using Notch's tweets to support their arguments, don't they? I remember once when someone posted Notch's opinion on piracy as an argument. Lips Sealed
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2011, 04:26:19 AM »

It's kinda easy to not worry about clones when you're a multimillionaire...

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2011, 04:31:56 AM »

Not when that's what sustains you as one. Celebs can crash just as hard and suddenly as even the most fragile of us. Fame probably makes it hurt a lot more, too.

Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2011, 04:36:22 AM »

Notch doesn't need anything to "sustain" him. He's got more money than he'll ever need for the rest of his life.

Laserbrain Studios
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: September 24, 2011, 04:47:49 AM »

Also the drama surrounding these clones draws more attenrion to Minecraft.
leonelc29
« Reply #165 on: September 24, 2011, 05:00:49 AM »

that's the purpose of this drama.  Wink
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: September 24, 2011, 07:54:18 AM »

ya, i don't think there's a contradiction between him being happy fortresscraft is selling well and being unhappy that it changes so little from minecraft

maybe he's happy it's selling well since it's a clue how well that the actual minecraft for xbla will sell when it's launched (it'll probably be the best-selling xbla game of all time)

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2011, 08:16:26 AM »

notch earned more than 30 millions $$ from what I've heard. At this point I wouldn't worry about clones of my game.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
Oddball
Level 10

David Williamson

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: September 24, 2011, 08:27:55 AM »

notch earned more than 30 millions $$ from what I've heard. At this point I wouldn't worry about clones of my game.
This is exactly how I feel about Minecraft clones. I have more of an issue with the current trend of cloning Vlambeer games. Vlambeer haven't made $30 million so every penny these clones take from them hurts them a lot more.

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #169 on: September 24, 2011, 12:17:20 PM »

I don't know if it is him or the people around him, but his support towards others clones has always come to me as a bit smut and arrogant, as if he hd any such authority where his approvals of other clones were more like blessing given to people to spread his word. But thats more probably the people around him, being so pleased to have his green light.

TheLastBanana
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: September 24, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »

gee...i never say i'm disrespect him.
Oh, no, that's not what I was implying. I was responding to neoshaman's post more than yours.

Anyway, I guess you could say that Notch doesn't have to worry about clones because he has a lot of money, but I still think it's nice of him to support fangames and clones instead of stamping down on them and sending cease and desist orders. He certainly could, but he doesn't. Regardless of whether he's doing so to take advantage of the drama or not, he isn't going out of his way to harm anybody else for the sake of his own profit, which is more than I can say for a lot of the video game industry (see: Streets of Rage Remake, Piano Hero, Tetris clones).
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: September 24, 2011, 02:59:20 PM »

want to mention a side note to indicate how nice notch is -- i was the one who named minecraft (he was asking for suggestions for the name and i suggested that name), long before it was successful. allen emailed him saying that he should pay me something for naming it, especially since i couldn't afford the igf fee for that year. so notch sent me 500 euros, with which i was able to pay the igf fee and buy a desk

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: September 24, 2011, 07:09:22 PM »

you're probably not even really the one who named it, but notch gave you the money anyway because he's nice like that.

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: September 24, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »

haha, you forget i believe in radical honesty; if i wasn't the one who named it i'd be force to reveal that; plus i have the irc logs

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #174 on: September 25, 2011, 12:44:30 AM »

In that case, thank you for giving the most creative game ever the most uncreative name ever.

please don't take 'most creative game ever' out of context and overanalyze it. I'm talking about the creativity the player can unleash, not the creativity in the game's actual design. Whether it's the 'most' is up for debate-- I'm just using hyperbole. Hey look I just overanalyzed my own post. SWEET.

My problem with Fortresscraft is that the developer guy is full of himself and is totally happy with the fact he's riding on Notch's success, yet insults the giant whose shoulders he stands on. It's this kind of disrespectful crap that irks me. Sure, he might just be responding to the slander he's received, but he's going about it in a way that's only feeding the fire. It doesn't help that his game is extremely identical to Minecraft, where games like Terraria and Ace of Spades took their own creative spin on the mine 'n' build concept. It's the same feeling I have with Zynga as I do with this FortressCraft ordeal.

If this guy was more respectful and didn't respond to the situation so butt-hurtingly then perhaps I'd feel a bit different. But overall, I just don't want to support a guy who's acting like a dick. Especially since there's a game just like his that I already prefer, which in my opinion has much better developers backing it.

Anyway, end rant!

leonelc29
« Reply #175 on: September 25, 2011, 01:06:53 AM »

If this guy was more respectful and didn't respond to the situation so butt-hurtingly then perhaps I'd feel a bit different. But overall, I just don't want to support a guy who's acting like a dick. Especially since there's a game just like his that I already prefer, which in my opinion has much better developers backing it.
this

(see irate gamer)
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: September 25, 2011, 06:34:01 AM »

I'd just like to point out that DJ Keemstar (the guy that goes on homophobic rants on YouTube) isn't the developer of FortressCraft. The developer seems like a nice guy. He hired DJ Keemstar to do marketing for the game. Why the hell he'd hire such an idiot is beyond me, though...

Laserbrain Studios
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: September 25, 2011, 06:39:57 AM »

In that case, thank you for giving the most creative game ever the most uncreative name ever.

please don't take 'most creative game ever' out of context and overanalyze it. I'm talking about the creativity the player can unleash, not the creativity in the game's actual design. Whether it's the 'most' is up for debate-- I'm just using hyperbole. Hey look I just overanalyzed my own post. SWEET.

i just hope i don't go down in history as 'the guy who named minecraft' with my own games being forgotten

brothers74
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: September 25, 2011, 05:13:22 PM »

i just hope i don't go down in history as 'the guy who named minecraft' with my own games being forgotten

too late i think Tongue mc is big game, it got more money made than your games. im sure their good tho! Smiley

we rescued breakfeast

the dick that wouldnt die finised
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: September 25, 2011, 05:23:14 PM »

i wouldn't say it's too late, it's still pretty early in my game dev career; i might have a hit as big eventually

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic