Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411280 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 06:16:38 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamescloning games; minecraft; and terrible people
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Author Topic: cloning games; minecraft; and terrible people  (Read 35859 times)
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: September 29, 2011, 10:57:24 PM »

Well, at least big team makes new features come faster... maybe.

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: September 30, 2011, 12:04:37 AM »

I wonder when will the first AAA clone would appear. What can a ton of money and huge team do to the genre?

I don't think they see money in player-driven open-ended games like Minecraft.  Has there been a LittleBigPlanet clone yet?  It's also been years since the Noun Tycoon game fad died (I don't think any of those even were AAA titles either), and the last new successor Sim City game came out 8 years ago.

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: September 30, 2011, 12:25:18 PM »

I wonder when will the first AAA clone would appear. What can a ton of money and huge team do to the genre?

I don't think they see money in

You don't think they see money in making a clone of something which fulfills both of the following?:

1. It has made a shitton of money

2. Clones of it have made a shitton of money

~

Also, I dunno how much money LittleBigPlanet made, but creating a basic block-editing engine is super easy; it survives not on quantity of content to put together like LBP would, but on... well, the simple engine with smatterings of detail added.

Noyb
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: September 30, 2011, 10:24:07 PM »

Angry Fish
This one isn't any better. Facepalm

droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: September 30, 2011, 10:32:00 PM »

That is pathetic. Shocked

Whoever made that is a terrible people.

Also, I just checked out a video and it's hilariously awful. You guys should look it up.

The parallax is hideous.

Μarkham
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: October 01, 2011, 12:36:46 AM »

I don't think they see money in

You don't think they see money in making a clone of something which fulfills both of the following?:

1. It has made a shitton of money

2. Clones of it have made a shitton of money

To the small production teams that have currently been cloning Minecraft, what they've made is a buttload of money.  But when you add in the staff of a AAA studio, that pie gets broken up into many more pieces.

Plus, when you consider that AAA studios consist of teams not just of coders and artists, but animators, concept artists, level designers, and writers, you have teams that don't mesh well into non-linear, non-plot-driven, cut-scene-less genre that Minecraft fits into.

Plus, if they want to make a bunch of money, they'd just do what Zynga is doing.  It's easier.  And it's what they are doing.

eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: October 01, 2011, 01:43:23 AM »

What people seem to forget is that these games go beyond blocky worlds like minecraft.

There's a huge amount of ways to do games like this, LBP was one of them, so triple-a studios can definitely get into it, but the tunnel-vision is why people keep making first person block-building games when there's so many other ways to take it.

moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: October 01, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »

the best XBLIG game

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: October 01, 2011, 06:30:03 PM »

the best XBLIG game

He may have mastered collision detection, but he has not yet struck down the beast of... parallax...

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: October 02, 2011, 12:22:57 AM »

To be frank notch start ripping it's rip off too (and mod of is game)

eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: October 02, 2011, 01:35:31 AM »

the best XBLIG game

wait, aren't indie live games supposed to get through a review to get put on the market?, how did this ever go through?

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: October 02, 2011, 01:45:07 AM »

There's a huge amount of ways to do games like this, LBP was one of them, so triple-a studios can definitely get into it, but the tunnel-vision is why people keep making first person block-building games when there's so many other ways to take it.
Huh? How is LBP a "block building" game? It's a platformer with a physics engine and a level editor.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: October 02, 2011, 01:57:14 AM »

Huh? How is LBP a "block building" game? It's a platformer with a physics engine and a level editor.

Because it doesn't even have to be a block building game to cash in on the minecraft thing, it's about having a world where you can actually be creative and create something for yourself, no blocks have to be involved.

jwwest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: October 02, 2011, 02:49:27 AM »

I found this after reading this thread: http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2011/10/linux-game-preview-airmech-new.html

Watch the top video followed by the footage of Herzog Zwei. The article says "highly inspired", I'd go so far as to say total clone/remake.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: October 02, 2011, 03:26:47 AM »

Because it doesn't even have to be a block building game to cash in on the minecraft thing, it's about having a world where you can actually be creative and create something for yourself, no blocks have to be involved.
LBP was released a year before the first version of Minecraft came out. Also, user-generated content isn't Minecraft's only distinguishing feature. As I said previously, LBP is just a game with a level editor, which is in itself nothing extraordinary (most of its supposed "innovations" were just marketing buzz). In Minecraft, the level editor IS the game, ir better put, it's part if the core gameplay and not a separate tool.
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: October 02, 2011, 04:20:37 AM »

Umm... in LBP, the level editing IS the core gameplay. People just happen to suck at it, for the most part. And I haven't bothered whipping through the seventy tutorial levels yet. XD

I'm still waiting for LittleBigAdventure; it's Zelda-like spinoff. Wink

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: October 02, 2011, 04:32:18 AM »

U no wat i ment
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: October 02, 2011, 06:34:52 AM »

You are missing my point, I'm saying that there's this untapped source of games that minecraft and LBP both are a part of, and while people are scrambling to make the next cube building game, they fail to see that these types of games are more diverse and not just about cubes.

It's about giving people games where they are more than one of the few dynamic elements in a static world.

DeadPixel
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: October 04, 2011, 07:30:27 AM »

the best XBLIG game

wait, aren't indie live games supposed to get through a review to get put on the market?, how did this ever go through?

The review process does not encompass quality.  It's to meet minimum standards of 'is playable and doesn't crash'.

mirosurabu
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: October 04, 2011, 09:40:07 AM »

Like in those Sims games.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic