Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 05:45:20 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamescloning games; minecraft; and terrible people
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: cloning games; minecraft; and terrible people  (Read 36035 times)
wademcgillis
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2011, 11:31:03 AM »

A bit offtopic, but how about a Cave Story "metroidvania" rip-offs?
Wait, so any Metroidvania that takes place in a cave is a cave story ripoff?

Even if I was only able to play Cave Story for a few minutes and I couldn't read anything and then it crashed and I never played it again?

That sucks. I might as well stop my project now.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2011, 11:50:03 AM »

Cave Story isn't even really a Metroidvania.
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2011, 12:44:08 PM »

Depending of how cloning is defined I don't find it bad to copy old games with mechanics which haven't seen in a while. Though even then I would try to make some atmosphere, theme etc. changes at least.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2011, 12:56:34 PM »

For the 500th time:
Quote from: Jasmine
On the other hand, if I had seen your game, and my intention was to produce a game exactly like it, then that would be a clone. Cloning involves deliberately copying details, rather than choosing details for oneself.

There is also an area inbetween, where I use ingredients from your game, but have my own ideas about how I want to cook them. That isn't cloning; it's being inspired.

This is the only useful definition of clone. Copying the core mechanics of another game is not cloning and not "every" game is a clone.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2011, 01:34:43 PM »

Too bad that if you are going to copy mechanics you are going to copy setting and visual: you may do it right like this dota ifluenced game http://www.destructoid.com/get-better-acquainted-with-leon-chameleon-in-awesomenauts-211163.phtml

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2011, 02:44:57 PM »

Any game with "awesome" in the title is automatically bad.
MattG
Level 5

Pictures Of Trains

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2011, 02:48:24 PM »

the biggest laugh is when the Cloners get praised as innovators for straight rippin other games ( Zynga)
AshfordPride
« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2011, 02:51:23 PM »

I kind of wish people would just steal Minecraft away from Notch.  The modding community has done something fantastic utilitarian things for people who don't play the game on peaceful and cheat to get all their items.  Also, another thing to note, is that they don't move at the pace of a paraplegic snail.

I'm all for someone trying to make a better Minecraft, even if it is a blatant clone.  Sadly, it seems Fortresscraft just got all those sales because babies probably just wanted to play Minecraft on their Xbox, and not because it's a superior product. 
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2011, 03:00:26 PM »

Clones (of recent games) are rarely superior products.
EssentialNutrients
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2011, 04:15:01 PM »

is minecraft a genre yet?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »

BRO IT'S A GAME IN THE SAME GENRE

EVERY GAME IS A CLONE DUUUUUUUUUUUDE  Durr...? Durr...? Durr...? Durr...? Durr...? Durr...?
shig
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2011, 05:10:26 PM »

I kind of wish people would just steal Minecraft away from Notch.  The modding community has done something fantastic utilitarian things for people who don't play the game on peaceful and cheat to get all their items.  Also, another thing to note, is that they don't move at the pace of a paraplegic snail.

I'm all for someone trying to make a better Minecraft, even if it is a blatant clone.  Sadly, it seems Fortresscraft just got all those sales because babies probably just wanted to play Minecraft on their Xbox, and not because it's a superior product. 

I had never heard of Fortresscraft before this thread. Why is it better than Minecraft?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 05:14:22 PM »

It's not better, it's minecraft creative on drug with custom blocks and custom blocks behavior (so far). I don't what they plan on the long term, but now it's vanialla peaceful minecraft.

Samtagonist like the minecraft NOT part of creative trend, I think he is waiting for a more hardcore version of minecraft (certainly something akin to a roguelike skyrimcraft /speculation).

shig
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 05:22:19 PM »

Honestly, a minecraft-like game with good combat centered around PVP team battles would be like the greatest game ever made.

One game tried it, but it was terrible. I don't remember the name but it was the one with the misconfigured servers.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:43:21 PM by shig » Logged
AshfordPride
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2011, 05:22:37 PM »

I had never heard of Fortresscraft before this thread. Why is it better than Minecraft?

that's about it.

Honestly, minecraft-like game with good combat centered around PVP team battles would be like the greatest game ever made.

One game tried it, but it was terrible. I don't remember the name but it was the one with the misconfigured servers.

It was Ace of Spades.

Problem with combat in Minecraft is that all you do is click and backpeddle.  There's really not much to it.
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2011, 05:26:19 PM »

Honestly, minecraft-like game with good combat centered around PVP team battles would be like the greatest game ever made.

Ace of Spades? I had heard that was pretty good actually (haven't tried it yet though).

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2011, 05:29:12 PM »

Ace of Spades is wonderful.

I'd love to see more 'minecraft-like' games in that vein -- and I don't mean 'minecraft+combat', I just mean games which: use primarily what Minecraft took from Infiniminer (i.e. BLOCKS AND SHIT) and turn that into their own thing.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 05:38:04 PM by Droqen » Logged

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 15, 2011, 05:58:00 PM »

This is a demonstration of TECH, not gameplay. People keep asking 'How is FortressCraft different to MineCraft?' - this glimpse hopefully gives a slightly idea of where my mine is at for how the future could look.

in before dwarf fortress clone it always was, minecraft just happen to prove that a blocky world works great for gmeplay purpose so he jump, apparently he was already working on a voxel base tech so the conv was fast.

shig
« Reply #58 on: September 15, 2011, 06:54:50 PM »

blocky word is shit for anything because moving around is a huge pain. of course there are ways around this, from making it have more plains than stairs and mounts of blocks to implementing more intricate and flexible movement options kinda like mirrors edge or something of the like. obviously no minecraft clone so far seems to have tried either
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2011, 07:05:49 PM »

I agree

All they need is slope, plain 1 cube size 45° slope.
I have seem some techno that does it but haven't seem to translate into a "clone". Lords of Uberdark obviously go into marching cube territory and have slope, but it's too subtle and hard to read.

BTW
I have been making a big round on FC to see what the dev is up to and seen this video:

HOLY SHIT!!! I WANT THAT!!!! cool stuff, seems to go into the rts like territories, which look like the future of the genre. First to do a 4Xcraft win.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 07:16:58 PM by Gimmy TILBERT » Logged

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic