Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411430 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 07:45:02 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamescloning games; minecraft; and terrible people
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: cloning games; minecraft; and terrible people  (Read 36045 times)
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: September 15, 2011, 09:33:30 PM »

Problem with combat in Minecraft is that all you do is click and backpeddle.  There's really not much to it.

It depends how you design the game and implement the combat into. When Ace of Spades being maybe the most basic solution of combining simple mining and crafting with combat in rather small map, even it works surprisingly well and generates creative strategic solutions / constructions. Since MC is building game, so is AoS too in the maximum extent it can (AoS has only one type of block and no crafting like in MC).

But turning MC into combat game, we could be talking about a lot bigger maps and sort of Command & Conquer style of gameplay where you need to build production facilities from scratch, mine resources manually, build bunkers and guns from scratch. And not by just buying it and setting it up, but literally collect blocks and build the damn thing. Imagine that. It is all about design really. Just different battle modes alone make big difference. There is massive amount of possibilities here and when not seeing it is just dumb.

And also, not all players want to run blindly into enemy lines and shooting like Rambo. Some players would like to build stuff, guns, facilities, bunkers, you name it. It already happens in AoS even there it is very limited fun compared to MC.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:41:59 PM by 1982 » Logged

Nuprahtor
Level 3

Drunk on the Moon

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 15, 2011, 10:21:07 PM »

A bit offtopic, but how about a Cave Story "metroidvania" rip-offs?
Wait, so any Metroidvania that takes place in a cave is a cave story ripoff?

Even if I was only able to play Cave Story for a few minutes and I couldn't read anything and then it crashed and I never played it again?

That sucks. I might as well stop my project now.
Don`t worry, if your game does not features super mario-like character and cute chibi characters, then it is OK, I suppose.
In other words, I think that clone games steals and gameplay mechanics, and visual style. I think it is bad

Thank God For The Rain - a magical neo-noir JRPG - devlog, tumblr
WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #62 on: September 15, 2011, 10:58:21 PM »

Ace of Spades is a really fun game, it's kinda went off on it's own direction now and it's not too similar to minecraft other than the fact that the world is made of blocks.
marcus
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2011, 03:08:11 AM »

Isn't the issue really just monetary? Cloning is bad, but only when it's done for commercial purposes and/or it cuts into the original developer's revenue stream.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2011, 03:34:56 AM »

Hay guize, Street Fighter would be so much better if it was a turn based strategy game amirite
JWK5
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2011, 03:50:42 AM »

Hay guize, Street Fighter would be so much better if it was a turn based strategy game amirite
Some people might actually like it better that way, and really it does sounds kind of interesting to me, at least (I can imagine Ryu's hurricane kick functioning like the spin punch in Final Fantasy Tactics). Which is what I think people are getting at here, not so much that MineCraft itself needs to be a different game but that there are many interesting ways it could branch or evolve into other games.
eld
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2011, 03:54:54 AM »

well, ultima is a facebook empire town building game these days, and rayman became a party-game series.

The prospect of retaining any old game of currently unpopular gameplay entirely relates to what genre any new reboot would have.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2011, 04:23:05 AM »

Some people might actually like it better that way, and really it does sounds kind of interesting to me
That was the point. I know I would like it better because I'm not really a fan of fighting games and TBS is one of my favorite genres. For all I care, fighting games might as well stop existing altogether and get replaced by TBS games. It wouldn't affect my gaming habits in any way (except that I'd have a few more games to play).
shig
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2011, 06:38:49 AM »

what if that is literally your opinion and you can easily back it up? in that case what is wrong with saying that?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 16, 2011, 06:51:52 AM »

i've already backed it up in my previous post.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: September 16, 2011, 07:07:45 AM »

obviously no minecraft clone so far seems to have tried either

incorrect

ace of spades has a little auto-climb thing for 1-height blocks. I didn't like it at first, but it's not bad.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 16, 2011, 07:26:23 AM »

if you like to gamble i tell you i'm your man

you win some lose some it's ALL THE SAME TO ME!!
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2011, 09:15:47 AM »

Already been done

twice!

JWK5
« Reply #73 on: September 16, 2011, 09:19:39 AM »

The first one isn't a tactical RPG, it is a sub-par pen & paper RPG (a la D&D but more akin to a White Wolf product).

The second isn't a tactical RPG it is a sub-par collection of RPG battles interspersed with splash screen dialog and barren world map wandering and plays more like a paper thin card game.

I've played both, I didn't care for either.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 16, 2011, 09:22:20 AM »

Yeah I only registered "turn" base and ignore the rest Huh?

JWK5
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2011, 09:27:37 AM »

Well in that case Final Fantasy 6 almost pulled it off, and I am pretty surprised Sabin's Blitz mechanics haven't been featured in more RPGs. It'd be especially awesome for something like a Street Fighter RPG, and I bet it would have the side-effect of helping players improve at their command inputs (for use in actual SF fighting games).
shig
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2011, 09:28:40 AM »

i've already backed it up in my previous post.
then why ridicule people who want minecraft's combat to stop being terrible
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2011, 02:46:06 PM »

Maybe because it would be another game? I'm still in the camp of people who want awesome combat in a minecraft clone.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2011, 03:17:20 PM »

What you guys are suggesting is turning Minecraft into a game that isn't Minecraft. It was never meant to be competitive or a hardcore action game and that's not why most people play it.
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2011, 03:31:29 PM »

Well in that case Final Fantasy 6 almost pulled it off, and I am pretty surprised Sabin's Blitz mechanics haven't been featured in more RPGs. It'd be especially awesome for something like a Street Fighter RPG, and I bet it would have the side-effect of helping players improve at their command inputs (for use in actual SF fighting games).

The Tales of Destiny games (1 and 2) had sidescroller combat. One of the items you could find and equip would disable all your command shortcuts in exchange for street-fighter style button commands. Strictly speaking, using the button commands was optimal because it let you equip all your attacks at once. I think it might have even made them stronger...

FF6 just did the Blitz commands because they wanted to give every playable character a unique mechanic for their special ability, and they went with something nifty for Sabin. They brought the same thing for Zell's Limit Break in FF8, but in that one inputting the commands quickly would buy you time to enter even more commands.

On topic, I get the feeling that Mojang and Notch want to start expanding Minecraft with new modes that allow for a choice between the sandbox and the survival game. You may not need a clone or give up your vanilla Minecraft, just pick the mode you like best and stick with it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic