Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 09:01:38 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCannon Brawl :: Action RTS
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Cannon Brawl :: Action RTS  (Read 14273 times)
Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 14, 2011, 08:31:04 PM »

Hey Guys, wanted to show my current project...

Cannon Brawl is a deep 2D action strategy game with destructible terrain. It's like Worms meets an RTS! It's also consumed my life for the past 2 years...

Watch Trailer!

In Cannon Brawl, you must destroy your opponent's fortress. You each pick a set of units from a wide array and head into battle. Expand your territory, capture gold mines, upgrade your units, and destroy your opponent! We aimed for a fast and fun game, but with a lot of strategic depth.

A fun bulleted list:
  • Unique blend of 2D ballistics and real time strategy gameplay (think worms/gunbound/scorched earth + rts)
  • Completely destructible terrain and many ways to destroy it
  • Choose from 12+ different weapons and defenses, from Laser Towers to Cannons
  • 6+ unlockable airships, each with their own unique perk
  • Full campaign mode with around 20 missions
  • Dynamic battle music from Rich Vreeland
  • 1v1 Local multiplayer
  • Online multiplayer
  • Keyboard and Gamepad support

Early Access

http://www.cannonbrawlgame.com
http://twitter.com/#!/petey123567

If you've got any questions, ask away!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 01:46:31 PM by Petey » Logged

Made Cannon Brawl - Worked on ABZÛ - Now making Kingdoms And Castles
Aelexe
Level 0

Out of Phase

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 05:01:15 AM »

Just dropping in to say this looks amazing, keep up the good work =).
Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 05:31:45 AM »

I like this idea a lot! Basically a 2D RTS inspired by Worms. It is already cute and seems to play well. I really don't know what more to say until I can actually play it though.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 08:52:52 PM »

Ok, so the progress video is going to be ready tomorrow instead of today.  I got distracted making that ugly lava in the first post hot and sexy:

It ripples and responds when stuff falls in it too!

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2011, 08:25:41 AM »

New Gameplay Video:

Progress video for the month of August.  Major overhaul of everything, art, code, and design, check it out!
« Last Edit: September 23, 2011, 06:51:37 PM by Petey » Logged

Mikademus
Level 10

The Magical Owl

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 09:17:17 AM »

Again, it looks cool and seems fun to play. I would wish for that terrain that have all their support shot out from underneath it would fall down. That would make for interesting strategies, as for instance the AI should have sunk the middle pillar in the battle in the map.

\\\"There\\\'s a tendency among the press to attribute the creation of a game to a single person,\\\" says Warren Spector, creator of Thief and Deus Ex. --IGN<br />My compilation of game engines for indies
Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 06:32:32 PM »

Hey guys, we're still working away and starting to develop the story and fiction around the game.  Here's some very early brainstormy concept art I drew (I'm a programmer, so be gentle!).  These guys might end up in the game, but also might not.  Not super happy about the prince and princess, but I do like how the king and the scroll guy turned out!

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 07:55:32 AM »

After tons lot of work, here's a screenshot from the first level of the latest build:

The Premise so far:
It is a thousand or so years in the future. Through great conflict our society has fallen and a new medieval age has arrived.  The king rules the land with an iron fist, fearful of new technology and threats. He forbids all to venture into the forbidden lands where the ruins of the past lay.

You are a Baron, and together with your engineer friend explore the forbidden lands and bring back salvagable technology, until the king shuts you down! Now you must free your airship, liberate your engineer friend's workshop, and fight the king!

The game has evolved into an action strategy game. You pilot your airship, capture gold mines, and build units and attack structures to defeat your enemy. Each game you pick 4 options from a set of 15, as well as from one of four airship commander's, each with unique special abilities.

Todo:
- Finishing out the next four campaign missions (10ish still left to do total)
- Get some dynamic lighting going
- Set up and start testing battles with the commander abilities
- Heavily playtest local multiplayer
- Iron out networked multiplayer
- Iterate again on the characters (they aren't final in the screenshot)

What I'm looking for:
- Encouragement
- Casual critiques
- General impressions

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2012, 03:24:54 PM »

Hadn't seen this game before but looking really great, really like the new art style you've got going on and game sounds like a fun interesting idea.

Looking forward to seeing it all in motion in your next development video.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2012, 04:08:54 PM »

Wow cool, I dig this

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2012, 01:08:20 AM »

Thanks for the feedback dudes! I'm hoping to have an alpha build for everyone to test by the end of the month, it'll have 3 campaign missions and local multiplayer vs the AI.

Since the last update, I added playable 'commander' characters with unique powers:
- You'll have a 'commander power' bar on the side of the screen
- It which increases as you deal damage and increases a lot when you take damage.
- When it maxes, you can unleash your power.
- One of the characters doubles all their artillery damage for 20 seconds, another can produce a shield on building for 20s (but I'll be adding at least 3 more characters and powers).

I was inspired by the commander powers in Advance Wars, as well as the ultimate attack mechanic in Street Fighter IV. Hopefully it should provide more variety to multiplayer as well as a way to help make a comeback when you're losing.

And finally, each building in the game has 3 upgrade levels.  Here's a quick look at the cannon tower upgrade sequence my artist made:

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »

Just wanted to let you guys know I'm still working on this, and I just put together a new trailer representing the last few months of work:

Watch here!

Here's a list summary of all the new things:
- Tons of new art
- 6 Campaign missions, 14 or so more to come
- Added a warship boss fight, two more to come
- Added the missile tower (shot splits open)
- Hooked up tons of sound effects
- New UI on everything
- New level select screen with a fancy world map
- Lots of new particle effects
- And too much more to list!

I'm hoping to have a build ready soon that you guys can try out!

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2012, 10:01:08 AM »

It's been a while since I last updated, but things have been busy! We were lucky enough to be selected in the PAX 10 this year: http://prime.paxsite.com/pax10#cannon-brawl

We demo'd the game at PAX as part of the PAX 10. I was really anxious before the conference started, worried that people wouldn't like the game or wouldn't even care to stop by, and then I'd wonder where the last 1.5 years of my life went.  But the reactions were really positive, we usually had people lined up to play, and we had some people come back all 3 days to keep playing, so that was a big relief!

After the show I made a new trailer of a 1v1 match, showing off the competitive multiplayer:

And right now I'm working on a Frost Tower which shoots ice crystals, more updates on that soon...

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2012, 04:54:48 PM »

Been a long time since I updated, oh well! Adding different airships and airship pilots now. Here's my cheesey programmer art mockup of the pilots:

What do you guys think of this style?

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »

Cannon Brawl is now on Greenlight!
If you're digging this game, we'd appreciate your yes vote! And so that this isn't just shameless self promotion, here's what we've been working on lately:

- Battle UI revamp,we did a lot of clean up so that the game information your need like upgrade costs and build menu is clear and right where you'd expect it.
- New Bank building, Warhead building, more news on these soon
- New Multiplayer Maps, I recently mocked up a desert and ice environment, and now they're in the game as two new multiplayer maps. We're still playtesting and changing these a lot, but here's a little preview:

For now, this map is pretty straight forward, you get straight the action very quickly. We'll likely iterate on the terrain a bit more, to make sure the pacing feels just right. I also want to environmental stuff like snow or ice crystals that could affect the battle somehow but I'm not sure yet...

This has some interesting floating islands that provide a sort of land shield for your HQs, as well as attack platforms and valuable high ground. I also want to add some sort of desert environment feature like sand to affect the battle, but still thinking on this one...
« Last Edit: December 18, 2012, 07:36:24 PM by Petey » Logged

coupon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 03:24:39 PM »

This is hot.
Code_Assassin
Level 5

freedom

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 03:30:41 PM »

Your visual style looks very original and it fits the style of your game well. If you do get onto Steam it is going to be interesting to see how you compete with Worms Reloaded.
Box99
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2012, 05:11:12 PM »

I've played worms a few times and it was kind of boring to me. But this.
This looks like a good time. I was going to say I would like to see a more creative visual aesthetic than just traditional fantasy/steampunk, but it fits pretty well. 
Even if I don't play this I'll vote for it on Greenlight.
Seiseki
Level 5

Starmancer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 04:42:30 AM »

Saw this a while back on IndieDB, looks awesome! Smiley

Petey
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2012, 07:34:55 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the kind words! Thought you'd like to see the new unit we just put in: the Warhead!

From left to right, top to bottom: Build it, protect it, launch it when it's ready, and watch it wreak havoc.

However, it can be destroyed mid flight if the enemy focuses all his attention on it - high risk, high reward!

Hopefully this will allow for some pretty varied play styles, since this unit is pretty different from what we've currently got. I gotta say thanks to our fan Kieran from our facebook page for the inspiration!

Let me know if you guys have any new unit ideas! I'm also hoping to have a playable build out soon!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic