Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:42:00 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCircle [development thread]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Circle [development thread]  (Read 11631 times)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« on: July 02, 2008, 04:44:48 AM »

I'm re-opening the thread here 'cause I'm finally working as I wanted to do on this, and now I'm also making a little team for that with Rosario "MonochromeNight" Milone and our C418.

Today i launched the game and there was a strange planet procedurally generated by it (yes now all the planets are procedurally made, yay!)

a MONOCLE WEARING PLANET!

Gentleman   Gentleman

I assure you that was real, only.. i closed the game and now i need to try maybe gazilions of times to get a similar looking thing Sad

Maybe that's a sign... glimps of future... the sign that we need to join IGF this year! Or maybe not.

That's sure is that Circle is back on development and will finally be a "big project" for us Smiley

More interesting stuff soon-ish! (yes, i opened the thread mainly for the monocle wearing planet.)

PS if you don't know what Circle is, more infos here and of course on my devlog @ http://www.0xdeadc0de.org/

The fist and original 2d spherical planets strategy game spawning clones everywere is back on track!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 04:53:46 AM by Eclipse » Logged

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Synnah
Level 7

La la la la - oh, what fun!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:00:26 AM »

I just had a read through the original thread and this looks lovely! You should definitely aim for IGF.

"What's that thing at the end of the large intestine? Because that's exactly what you've done here." - Ray Smuckles, Achewood.

My music. Will compose for free!
Mightypea
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2008, 05:07:32 AM »

Dyson clone

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2008, 05:12:38 AM »

Dyson clone

STFU  :D

increpare
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2008, 05:16:31 AM »

Just looked at the original thread now.  I'm not entirely up with the visual style myself yet, but that's probably largely because things still look rather sparse.  Do you envision things eventually becoming a little more bustling, a little more exciting?  I don't recall you having detailed whether there is a construction/resource gathering system yet.  Will there be any production trees ala settlers?

(all that said it does look impressive!)
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008, 05:24:24 AM »

Just looked at the original thread now.  I'm not entirely up with the visual style myself yet, but that's probably largely because things still look rather sparse.  Do you envision things eventually becoming a little more bustling, a little more exciting?  I don't recall you having detailed whether there is a construction/resource gathering system yet.  Will there be any production trees ala settlers?

(all that said it does look impressive!)

there will be no production trees, but trees production! :D
joking aside, you will mainly have the duty to balance your ecosystem and keep your culture far from extinction (eg. if you have too much herbivores they will finish food and then slowly die and being killed by carnivores, and then they will die too).
Also I aim to have almost no in-game gui so there will be not statistics or numbers of any type nor micromanagement dialogs

About the visual style I agree it's quite sparse, but it's like 1% of what i've in mind I assure you Wink

Basically it will be a "god game", but with huge action elements and physics. Still, no direct control over a single creature, or better, not like in an RTS Wink

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 05:28:24 AM by Eclipse » Logged

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 08:50:23 AM »

Still looks awesome and I still want it so bad. Bad like the Powerglove.

Say, you still going to have a robot planet, or won't that fir with the ecosystem management idea? I think managing a robot echosystem could be a very interesting challenge.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
increpare
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008, 09:26:14 AM »

Basically it will be a "god game", but with huge action elements and physics. Still, no direct control over a single creature, or better, not like in an RTS Wink
So how will you be interacting with the world?
C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008, 09:49:07 AM »

[13:36:13] <C418> circle is a dyson ripoff Cry
[13:37:05] <hao-1> dyson is a circle ripoff

He said it while he was leet.

:D

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008, 12:55:23 PM »

lol, yes anyway the clones stuff was mostly a joke, please anyone, don't get it serious or it will end like "omgcavestoryripoff"  Roll Eyes
i'm happy someone took inspiration from my rants for such an awesome game and i think Haowan's game is going to have is own style

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2008, 06:01:44 AM »

Still looks awesome and I still want it so bad. Bad like the Powerglove.

Say, you still going to have a robot planet, or won't that fir with the ecosystem management idea? I think managing a robot echosystem could be a very interesting challenge.

sure, there will be tons of robots! and also another culture that's currently TOP SECRET Smiley

as i said in the animal-like culture you will have to balance your ecosystem beetween who eat and who get eaten, the robotic culture will play a little different... there's a plague among the robots.
Years and years of generations of robots being built by other robots made the machines near perfect, but there's still something that lead to the ancient race who started to build them: a killer bug.
Basically these robots are in the search for the lost ancient civilization that they call "The Developers" to ultimate find a way to fix their last bug.
This bug simply makes a robot to go rampant, it will start to boil, his eyes will glow red and if not fixed in time it will start to kill and infect the others!
If playing with the animal culture will mean having a look for predators and herbivores, playing with robots will mean keeping the control over internal robot rebellions caused by the bug :D
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 06:27:14 AM by Eclipse » Logged

mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2008, 03:35:30 PM »

lol, yes anyway the clones stuff was mostly a joke, please anyone, don't get it serious or it will end like "omgcavestoryripoff"  Roll Eyes
i'm happy someone took inspiration from my rants for such an awesome game and i think Haowan's game is going to have is own style
Oh, one more:

GalCon Ripoffs

Tongue
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2008, 11:10:41 PM »

Oh, one more:

GalCon Ripoffs

Tongue

never played that one but it looks totally different from my idea, seems more like Dyson (i have no ships or flying stuff of any form in a fleet)

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2008, 10:43:56 AM »

This looks really groovy. Will be keeping an eye on it Smiley

C418
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 09:00:57 AM »

Huh?
Oh stop that. Nobody is stealing noone.

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2008, 09:09:37 AM »

MonochromeNight just played Dyson today after a lot of work on Circle, so i can understand how sad he is...

You know better than me that the question is closed, still the bitter taste remains for the IGF thing.

Anyway I only hope to do a good game with my original ideas and not to live on words.
I think I'll also add Tig and Haowan on Circle's "thanks to" in the credits, would be nicer to explicit the thing that we're coming from the same developers place rather than let people think about ripofferies
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 09:36:41 AM by Eclipse » Logged

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2008, 10:15:30 AM »

Come now, we're all gentlemen here; I'm sure if there's any upset it can be resolved amicably  Gentleman

I completely understand the way MonochromeNight feels. I felt the same way after finding out about Survival Crisis Z.

Dyson uses -no- ideas from Circle in its high-level game design at all. The original design, which I must point out would have resulted in a game nothing like GalCon or Circle, or any of its other inspirations, is far more like an RTS than a Risk-like game or an economy-balancing/ecosystem game. We didn't have time to implement this of course, in the competition timescale, and hope to get closer to it during the next three-and-a-half months.

I would like to point out that from my perspective, planets which one can zoom into in no way represents a game design choice, when really it has nothing to do with the gameplay in Dyson as it stands. Accusations of stealing game design ideas from Circle with regards to the planets are misguided in my opinion; I certainly considered Circle's aesthetics (just as I did Blueberry Garden's) when I was formulating the graphics for Dyson, but originally, as can be seen in the work in progress screenshots, the asteroids were going to be irregular. Since it was easier to make them into circles, that's what I did. After adding the atmospheres, I felt like it had become a little too like Circle's planets, but I couldn't see any other way of changing it in time.

The trees are procedural, yes. I would be marginally upset if you really thought that this was something we ripped off from Circle, seeing as the theme of the competition was procedural generation of content and trees are one of the most interesting procedural content there is. I respectfully assume this part of the post was a joke Smiley (I actually thought up until now that Circle's trees weren't procedural - they looked too good Smiley)

I've had the utmost respect for Circle since I found out what it's all about. The initial screenshots looked nice, but what was really interesting was the idea of balancing an ecosystem. When No-one Can Stop The Farm Pioneer was announced in the VGNG I thought it might be a fairly similar game, it turned out pretty well so I think Circle will turn out great too.

Best of luck in the IGF. It is a competition after all, so may the best game win  Gentleman

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2008, 10:52:17 AM »

agreed Gentleman

PS oh please don't stop with deadrock, survival crisis is nice but it's not so polished and graphics aren't that good too

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2008, 11:17:53 AM »

And Survival Crisis' controls suck, in addition to the fugly graphics.

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
Rudolf Kremers
Level 1

Grow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2008, 12:03:22 PM »

Right. I am the designer on Dyson, and the original idea of the game came from me. That means if you are accusing Dyson of stealing gamedesign ideas you are basically calling me personally a thief. To be clear, I never heard of Circle or Galcon until way after we started this project, and to this date I haven't played Galcon nor spent more than about 20 seconds looking at Circle. If anybody would ask me to sum either game up I would have no idea as I don't even know what their gameplay is supposed to be.

I have been playing with the ideas in Dyson for years, they stem from a number of factors, Most of of them from ideas I had years ago for a game that allows the user to create asteroid habitats, furthermore an old fascination with Von Neumann machines, self replicating cellular automatons and Dyson trees.

Obviously the competition did not allow all our ideas to be implemented and what we ended up with is an organic, honest, and original abstraction of the some of the gameplay we had planned. I find these comments on theft EXTREMELY distressing as they are utterly without merit. :-(

There are many aspects of the game that we haven't implemented, take for example the three asteroid attributes. They came from an idea to have resources the player had to  mine in order to build up and terraform the asteroid, exposing a tech tree and creating a habitat. The roots were to become tunnels inside the asteroids that were to become unique "dungeons" filled with defenses against invading creatures. There was even the idea to go out and break up other asteroids in order to get more resources. Anyway, the point is that our gameplay was completely our own and not stolen from anybody. There will always be similarities as some choices are LOGICAL. Imagine this asteroid mining game I am describing, how do you imagine the developing tech and terraformed habitat would manifest itself? I am sure you can see it is rather logical where we are now with the game :-)

I hope that sets the record straight as I would rather interact with all of you in the spirit of cameraderie and I wish us all great succes in our game's development.

Thanks. :-)

« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 12:36:39 PM by Borsato » Logged

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic