Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 10:00:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperDesignWhat Camera Angle is Preferred?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: What Camera Angle is Preferred?  (Read 2162 times)
CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2011, 07:16:38 PM »

I have a (maybe) top down shooter that I have been working on for a couple of weeks (Devlog Here). The mechanics are pretty simple, WASD to move, and click the area (or object) you want to shoot. Originally this was supposed to be top down, but I am having trouble picking a camera angle that I am happy with. I have a few that I have been playing with, so I wanted to toss out some screenshots and get a little feedback. If you have a second, let me know which you would prefer and why. Also, if you don't like any of them, feel free to suggest something that would work better.

Traditional Top Down, Zoomed Out

Traditional Top Down, Zoomed In (Slight Tilt)

Top Down, Tilted Camera

Heavy Tilt, Zoomed Out

Moderate Tilt, Zoomed In

J-Snake
Level 10

A fool with a tool is still a fool.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 07:40:15 PM »

If the game-design allows why not allowing the user to set his individual camera-angle?

But other than that it heavily depends on the content you will have in the game. You should elaborate on this.

As example if it is only about shooting hordes of monsters which are coming from in front then it is pretty obvious to choose an angle which shows more of the front. I think you get my idea.

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
Uykered
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:44:17 PM »

3rd one is the best.
CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 05:59:18 AM »

@J-Snake - The game is going to be about shooting monsters coming from all directions, and include a few tower defense elements. There will also be a mini-map (eventually), but you will need to keep an eye on your "towers" as well.

Technically, I could allow all of those angles, but design gets a little more difficult. For example, if it is top down, I don't have to worry about a skybox, but the player has to follow the mouse. If the game is close to the back of the player, he only needs to follow to mouse in a 180 degrees arc in front of him, and I have to come up with a skybox for each planet.

@exceptional embarrassment - Thanks for the response. Why do you like that one more than the others?
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 06:27:37 AM »

If they can equally come from all directions then you are pretty much nailed with a top-down view showing your player in the middle of the screen. But it also depends on game-mechanics. If you want fps-controls then third-person-shooter-view (gears of war) is to go, if you don't want first person. However if it is 2D-gameplay and you want the player to be more versatile, turn faster and easier towards angles then top-down is the way to go, but a small hint, tilt the camera a bit so that you can see more in front in addition, you will get a significantly higher view space without taking much view from the back. So yeah, in that case #3 is the better option. Think about it;)

I would even use view #3 always in a top-down game. But that is just the static set-up. You can add dynamic camera controls on top of that, if required. For example the camera can adapt according to the direction you are heading. Then you can have a button to instantly zoom out to get temporally a better tactical plan due to higher view space (you see what is going on and you can plan your next attacks, that sort of things.).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 06:36:17 AM by J-Snake » Logged

Independent game developer with an elaborate focus on interesting gameplay, rewarding depth of play and technical quality.<br /><br />Trap Them: http://store.steampowered.com/app/375930
moi
Level 10

DILF SANTA

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:57:16 AM »

anything but 2 or 5

subsystems   subsystems   subsystems
DavidCaruso
YEEEAAAHHHHHH
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 07:39:55 AM »

Like always it depends on what your game's designed around (view 4 would make the game play completely differently than view 1 for example). Purely aesthetically though I think 3 looks the best, 1 is flat and doesn't convey much depth, 2 has way too strong shadows and is too zoomed in+tilted, 4 is...pretty much completely different from everything else and has no place in a top-down shooter, and 5 is 4 except with a camera angle that would make things harder to see.

Steel Assault devlog - NES-style 2D action platformer: successfully Kickstarted!
rivon
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 07:56:46 AM »

3 is the best imo Wink
Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 10:59:18 AM »

Vote for 3rd considering what you explained about gameplay mechanics.

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 11:24:10 AM »

Atnas
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 12:15:31 PM »

While 3 is very effective I like 4 quite a bit. Give 3 a little bit of the zoom and angle of 4 without losing the essential top down perspective and I think it will work swimmingly!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 08:37:59 PM »

ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 09:45:18 PM »

CheapDevotion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 09:46:38 PM »

I am going to go out on a limb for a second and say that the general consensus is 3. Thanks for the help guys - that it where I was leaning, but wasn't quite sure.
J-Snake
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 04:03:05 AM »

It is cool how everyone agrees on 3. I wonder it is just personal preference or for analytical reasons I explained. Gimmy, I would like to hear your share about all this camera-stuff. I respect your thinking.

Blodyavenger
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2011, 06:10:26 AM »

1 or 3 one of those two for sure.

Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 09:24:51 PM »

Shrug

iffi
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 09:49:12 PM »

2, 3, and 4 all work for me. Of those, I like 3 and 4 more.
Serk
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 10:39:13 AM »

2... no, 3

forwardresent
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2011, 02:29:26 PM »

Nation Red uses the 3rd camera angle, that played quite well and it sounds like it's the type of game you're going for, I'd say 3.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic