Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411474 Posts in 69369 Topics- by 58423 Members - Latest Member: antkind

April 23, 2024, 01:17:18 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingHanano Puzzle (retro styled puzzle game)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Hanano Puzzle (retro styled puzzle game)  (Read 22080 times)
Tatsunami
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: September 16, 2011, 06:05:30 PM »

Hello.

My name is Tatsunami. I'm Japanese. I've almost finished making this puzzle game. It's for Windows, and you can change the language to English in the settings which are displayed when the game starts up. The rest of my work consists of fixing bugs and correcting errors in the English translation. So, please let me know if you find any bugs or any unnatural English. (Actually, I was already able to correct many errors with the help of a kind visitor to my website.)

You can download the game here.

In each level, there are some square stones colored red, blue and yellow which you can move or swap horizontally by clicking them. If one of these stones touches a flower in the same color, a new flower blooms on the stone. The objective is to bloom flowers on all colored stones.

I hope you enjoyed it and I would also like to get your feedback.
Thank you.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 07:07:37 PM »

Very nice game! Your puzzles were very tough, which is good. I'm actually stuck on level 8 and have been for quite a while. There's a nice level of polish in the game and the English seems fine. One thing I would note is the inclusion of a hint system because, while I'm all about hard puzzles, dwelling over the same one for 20 minutes makes me just want to get the answer and move on to the next one. And another thing would be that the game starts out a bit too abruptly at level 1, delving you instantly into a hard puzzle. If you had a few tutorial stages, this would be fixed. These aren't big qualms about this game, though, so don't worry.
Anyway, great job! Love the game, a lot. Keep up the good work Gentleman

leonelc29
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 12:42:16 AM »

my head...hurt...ohh well, i can get over it.

the game, the puzzle, the music, the graphic, is overall great, and i found myself enjoying the music instead of thinking the puzzle.(especially level 20)

i have nothing to say about the gameplay and difficulty curve(which it seems pretty steep), as i don't have any problem with the game. the puzzle design are very clever, it just pure hardcore.

about the translation stuff, i can see some fishy english. like:

there are square stones colored red, blue, and yellow.
there are square shaped stones in red, blue, and yellow color.
(for this one, i kinda rephrase it, as it sound weird for me)

the objective is to bloom flowers on all colored stones
(about this one, its kinda fishy to say " Bloom Flowers", but i don't seems to get any replacement on that, so leave it)

the restart button or RIGHT-CLICKING allows you to restart.
simply use the restart button or right-click to restart the level.
(rephrased)

the *symbol* button allows you to go back one move.
(i don't know what's wrong with this sentence, it just doesn't feel natural for me. maybe "go back one move" should replace it with "reverse"?)

gray stones can also be moved. flowers don't bloom on them.
gray stone can be moved, but flowers won't bloom on them.
(also rephrased)

ohh, last request, can you gimme the cheat to skip level 27 or cheat that destroy wall?  Angry
jimmynewguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:10:36 AM »

Awesome game, the puzzles were all great up until level 8... I feel really dumb trying to do it. I don't think my not-so-good-at-puzzles-brain can handle it. Any hints or anything at all? Cry

Basically I agree completely with what glyph said before me. There should be tutorials, maybe earn hints every couple of levels that you can use whenever, and of course I give this game a Hand Thumbs Up Left

And now back to level 8
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 04:16:55 AM »

Just solved level 8 with collaboration of a friend. Here's one hint that should do you good: Blooming flowers will move the blocks on top of them upward. Great puzzles, Tatsunami!

jimmynewguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 04:30:20 AM »

Thanks Glyph, but I knew the whole time I needed to get that red block up by doing that. I did just realized though that I kept trying the same thing over and over, finally figured it out and the game is fun again!
leonelc29
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 06:06:18 AM »

yes, that level 8 puzzle are those chain reaction stuff, and it make you mock yourself for not seeing that simple thing coming. that's what clever about this puzzler.
Tatsunami
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:10:08 PM »

Thank you for your feedback and I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I thought the main interesting part of puzzle games is the joy of solving difficult levels, so I tried to get rid of easy levels and tutorials from this game as much as possible, and to make players have fun earlier.
I think... all information necessary for solving level 8 was supposed to be known... Does the solution seem irrational?

One thing I would note is the inclusion of a hint system because, while I'm all about hard puzzles, dwelling over the same one for 20 minutes makes me just want to get the answer and move on to the next one.
The hint system seems good. I'm not going to make any big changes to this game, but, someday, if I make another puzzle game, I will think about it carefully.

about the translation stuff, i can see some fishy english. like:
Umm... these corrections are beyond my knowledge of English. I'd like to discuss them with the person who helped me translate the language... and also, I want to know how others feel. Thank you for your helpful comments.

(I'm sorry for replying late. This happens because I'm not good at English and so I have to take time to understand your comments, to translate my thoughts to English and to get someone to check them before posting. I may be unable to respond quickly to your latest posts even if they come before my post.)
bamcquern
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 12:12:40 AM »

There's nothing wrong with the translation. Those sentences would sound fine to any native English speaker.
Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 12:39:54 AM »

There's nothing wrong with the translation. Those sentences would sound fine to any native English speaker.

I agree.

jimmynewguy
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 03:37:47 PM »

Yea, I had no problems with the English either. Now I have a problem with level 20 though. I've been staring at it for hours. I deem it impossible in order to save my sanity. Epileptic

Still an amazing game though!
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 04:20:16 PM »

Clever little game. And challenging too, especially for dumb people like me. Reminds me of

a bit.

Translation is fine, no bugs.
Tatsunami
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2011, 06:28:57 PM »

I'd rather not give you a hint directly, but I think it would also be enjoyable to try with your friends.

I agree.

Thank you. I'd like to leave the translation as it is.
Radiant
Level 1

...and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2011, 02:31:44 AM »

I get this error on startup, "hanano.exe is not a valid Win32 application".

ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 05:25:32 AM »

I liked the challenging puzzle designs. I've had some nice "ah-ha" moments when I finally figured out a level that was stumping me. But to think there appears to be 50 levels in the data folder while I'm stuck on level 15 makes the possibility of completing the game a bit mind boggling.

Are you the same developer who made rhacp and who used to use the name of Crostar?

Edit: I forgot to mention thanks for including the English instructions.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2011, 11:47:54 PM by ithamore » Logged

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Tatsunami
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »

I get this error on startup, "hanano.exe is not a valid Win32 application".
Hmm... I have no idea what caused it. Could you download the file again?

Are you the same developer who made rhacp and who used to use the name of Crostar?
Yes, I am. Wow, I'm glad someone still remembers that game.

Actually I shut down my website about 3 years ago because I got a little busy with other things, but recently I started to feel, again, that I wanted to make games and have many people play them. So, I resumed my game making activities in March of this year, using the name Qrostar.
paladin_t
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2011, 07:52:14 PM »

Great game! I like the puzzles. I suppose there is a small bug:
I dragged a 'My Computer' toolbar to Windows taskbar, and I sometimes access things from there. Hanano works fine if I start it directly or from an original shortcut icon, but it goes white screen all the time if I start it via my toolbar. I'm using a 32bit Windows XP SP3.
And again, thank you for your good job!
ithamore
TIGSource Editor
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2011, 12:37:54 AM »

Yes, I am. Wow, I'm glad someone still remembers that game.

Actually I shut down my website about 3 years ago because I got a little busy with other things, but recently I started to feel, again, that I wanted to make games and have many people play them. So, I resumed my game making activities in March of this year, using the name Qrostar.

I looked at your blog and saw screenshots of another game you were working on that looked quite similar to rhacp. Then the similarities between your new and old name dawned on me, but I wanted to ask to be sure.

I've been playing your games ever since your early 3punge entries, and it's nice to see you making games again.

Please help TimW, a longtime promoter of indie gaming everywhere and an old friend of TIGSource, to write about indie games full-time.
Fyren
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2011, 03:50:28 PM »

I've completed 1-19 so far.  I've found it very enjoyable.

I disagree with Glyph's post earlier saying the first puzzle is too hard.  Most games give you an insultingly easy first puzzle.  Having an interesting puzzle from the start is better.  The mechanics and interface are simple enough.  In a game that's all "game" and no story or cutscenes or anything like that, I don't even know if hints or skipping levels is a good idea.

Also about difficulty, I've found certain puzzles much easier than nothers.  Not counting 1-8 since some have instruction text in them, levels 9, 12, and 18 were very easy.  I think this is because there are few moves you can make and some of them will clearly result in having to restart the level.  Perhaps they should have been placed earlier.  I haven't found any especially harder than the others, yet.
RoboBob3000
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 03:52:06 PM »

Excellent game! I'm enjoying it a lot.

I'm 100% stuck on level 34. I've actually convinced myself that it is impossible, which I hope is not the case. I would love it if someone could confirm for me that it is in fact possible.
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic