Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411425 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 19, 2024, 08:41:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDragon Mines (WP7 roguelike) First Video Log!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Dragon Mines (WP7 roguelike) First Video Log!  (Read 11502 times)
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 08:47:17 PM »

Update 12 - Sunday October the 9th

Today I basically just did some content creation. I added the bat mob and 3 new potions as well.
I also started work on the character screen which will just display some more in depth information about the player. Such as name, experience, dexterity, strength... just some character stats. It will also display the skill tree where the player can spend skill points.

How do you indies feel about having a skill tree and skill points? A skill tree does not fit in the roguelike genre at all but since the beginning I had wanted to have one. It would be filled with some very basic skills. Such as an increased mana recharge rate for those who use a lot of spells. Or maybe one which decreases the penalty for dual wielding.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 09:35:34 PM »

A skill tree does not fit in the roguelike genre at all..

Huh, why is that? I'm sure there's plenty of RLs with skill trees ..

I like your graphics btw. Smiley

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 10:11:02 PM »

Now that you bring it up, I'm not to sure why?? I just seem to think that automatically.
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with them actually, considering I have never done any pixel art until now.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 10:21:15 PM »

I love skill trees. Go for it.
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2011, 10:41:09 PM »

100 rogues had skill trees, personally I enjoyed it, I thought it worked well so I'd say go for it. Nice progress btw, looking good Smiley. A roguelike is something I'd like to tackle some day
Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 04:14:20 PM »

Well then its settled! There shall be skills organized in the general shape of a tree.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 07:47:51 PM »

Update 13 - Tuesday October 11th

Mostly just worked on the character screen today. I also started thinking up some skills to fill it with.

I played around with the background a lot and I'm still not happy with it but it will work for now.

Some of the text and icons are hard to see in this picture but on the phone it looks and feels really good, for me at least.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 10:37:52 PM »

Update 14 - October the 16th

It has been a while since my last update. This is on account of two things, one, the features I've been implementing haven't been the easiest (mostly because I'm a terrible coder). And two I just haven't had as much times as I would have liked.
Progress was slower this week than I wanted. That being said in the future I'm going to make more time such as staying up a little later, playing less Binding of Isaac, and staying more focused when I am working.
I believe part of my problem is I have not been setting hard-line goals for myself, it has been basically a work until tired type deal.
From now on I am going to set a reasonable goal for the night/day, based on how much time I have, and work until its done. No if, ands, or buts!

On to my actual progress!!
I implemented chests which the player can open. When the player does open the chest, items in the chest are placed around it. Rooms can have an infinite number of chests in them and chests can have an infinite number of items in them. Wink Here is my horrendous chest textures which will  be changed in the future.

I also put in level switching. So when the player finds a trap door then he can descend down into the next level. I had started working on saving the levels so the player can ascend back up to a previous level but I then realized that the player will have no reason to go back up so I stopped and took out the ascending code.
Here is my trapdoor, I am much happier with this texture over the chest texture.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2011, 12:01:45 AM »

rotate(clip(trapdoor)) = wooden chest

also infinite chests means infinite loots, awesome!

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2011, 03:08:07 PM »

It wouldn't be a roguelike without infinite loot!! haha I see what you did there.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2011, 10:34:15 PM »

Update 15 - October the 17th
Good progress today! I'm happy with myself!

I implemented mob attacks. So enemies attack the player now. The attacks, from the player and the mobs, factor in defense and attack stats. I don't have weapons implemented yet but that shouldn't be too difficult. Keeping with the roguelikeness all the enemies stats are randomized, (within reason I may add) so sometimes a goblin will have a lot of hp but a low defense while other times he will have high stats all around!

Also I put in eigenbom's fixed chest texture. Smiley I added a chest open texture. I shall put eigenbom in the credits for his contributions!!

I also started work on weapons. A dagger and a rusty dagger. As of now the player can pick them up and see them in his inventory. Tomorrow I shall work on actually equipping the weapons and having them effect (affect?) the attacks.

I am a little worried that the weapon blends in with the tiles so I'm thinking about changing the tiles a bit since most weapons will have grey in them. I will probably just darken the tiles a tad.
I really like the outer glow effect on the dagger weapon so I think I shall add it to all the items from now on.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2012, 05:54:54 PM by Pemanent » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 02:13:39 AM »

I shall put eigenbom in the credits for his contributions!!
lol, you don't have to do that - i just modified your sprite slightly Smiley

also, decreasing the contrast on the tiles may help with seeing objects clearer.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2011, 07:30:32 AM »

lol, you don't have to do that - i just modified your sprite slightly
haha well I was kinda joking.

also, decreasing the contrast on the tiles may help with seeing objects clearer.
Thanks I'll try that!

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 10:58:45 PM »

Update 16   (Why was I writing dates??  Who, Me?)

Got item equipping working! Pretty cool. It is all implemented, you touch the item, then touch the button to equip it and bam, the item gets moved to the correct place in the equipped items boxes as well as the players stats are updated based on the items stats. There are still a few very minor 'bugs' that will be fixed in time.

I also played around with the inventory screen background. Now it fades out the home screen with a sorta overlay effect.

Also also I lowered the contrast on the floor tiles. Thanks eigenborm for the suggestion, much better.

Next on my to do list? Scroll Items! Hopefully I don't get sued by Bethesda.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2011, 10:47:18 PM »

Update 17

Got a good amount done actually. Mostly just some small adjustments and bug fixes but those things really start to add up.

Created a scroll item which you can read.

Also fixed a character textures bug.
Finished filling the inventory screen with information.
Now when you drop items from your inventory they are actually added back into the level instead of being destroyed.
Implemented a button to pick up items instead of the character automagically picking up items when he steps on them.

Tonight I finished the last item on the first page of my to-do list. Its a great feeling and I'm still excited about this game! Fun fun fun!  Beer!

Next I shall work on a new to-do list! The first thing on my to do list shall be ranged weapons.

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2011, 11:03:48 AM »

Nice progress Smiley

You should experiment with adding that drop-shadow(the one you have on the pickups) onto the player. I think it'll help separate him from the background a bit more.

Also, your tiles are looking very nice.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2011, 03:28:08 PM »

ooh why didn't I think of that before. Facepalm
Thanks I do think they look a lot better with less contrast.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2011, 10:43:28 PM »

Update 18

Started work on ranged weapons functionality.
Here is how it will work.
If you have equipped a ranged weapon then a fire button will be visible on the home screen.

If you press the fire button then the arrows usually used for movement will change a bit.
Indicating that now your choosing the direction that you want to fire your weapon.

The change is more obvious on the phone than it is here. Some day I'll post a video with the game on the actual phone so you can get an idea of what it 'feels' like. The game plays totally differently on the physical phone that it does with a mouse on the emulator.

And I also worked on a quiver sprite to hold arrows. I'm not sure how I'm going to indicate numbers such as how many arrows are in the quiver but I'll be thinking about it in the next few days.

Again my quiver texture is a bit... weird, but when I add the outer glow it will look better. Ill also adjust things tomorrow after I get a fresh look at it.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2011, 10:58:04 PM »

Update 19
Worked more on ranged weapons.
Suddenly arrows! You can pick them up after you shoot them but there is no counter or quiver yet.

Also made plans for the skill trees and started moving things around in the character screen. Just some preliminary stuff but a good start. I think I'm going to move the skill info to the bottom right since my skill trees, as of now, are more wide than they are long. (penis joke?  Big Laff  Roll Eyes)

Next I'll just continue working on ranged weapons, adding quivers that hold arrows, also making it impossible to shoot arrows if you don't have any.

Pemanent
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2011, 10:31:32 PM »

Update 20
Didn't get a whole lot done this weekend. Not really sure why, just didn't happen, I'm sure it will get better this week though.

Worked on range stuff a lot more, so arrows add to the weight and subtract when shot, arrows are added to quivers instead of straight into the inventory. You cant shoot if you have no arrows. Just a bunch of small stuff like that.
I also added a number beside the fire button which tells the player how many arrows they have.

I cleaned up my code a bit so it is easier to debug.
I also implemented ui toggling. So when the player gets closer to the right side of the screen then the ui toggles to the left and vice-versa. That way the UI is never in the way of seeing what is happening.

Also created context sensitive buttons so the player won't see the "pick up item" button unless they are standing on one. Same for opening doors, opening chest, descending, etc.

Not too bad for one weekend.

Next I will clean up level generation code, more specifically item and mob placement, because its a bit out dated and doesn't include new mobs or items. Plus I changed around the item code so now not only will item generation code be cleaner but it will be much easier to implement new items.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic