Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 07:50:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSpiderling! Old title: Spider and friends
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Spiderling! Old title: Spider and friends  (Read 21764 times)
Yodhe
Level 0

Flying Lasanga

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2011, 05:01:15 AM »

Looks very nice, and whilst normally I am a bit sick to the back teeth of 2d platformers, this certainly looks "nifty".
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 12:05:14 PM by Yodhe » Logged

Bunker Mentality - Post Apocalyptic Squad Turn Based Strategy RPG - http://www.justanotherturn.com
Destral
Level 10

Climbing that mountain...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 05:53:13 AM »

I'm a sucker for cute fireflies. Are they just for ambience, or do you plan on building a gameplay mechanic around them?

Currently working on: Sword Surfer
Mr Dumle
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 08:06:58 AM »

They are just for ambience.

...I am a bit sick to the back teeth of 2d platformers...

Everyone says that but I can't seem to find any indie platformers that looks good and plays well. Please PM me the ones you think are good.  Smiley (except Cave story )
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 08:16:17 AM by Mr Dumle » Logged

Mr Dumle
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 08:15:24 AM »

I've made old web stop simulating now. There's a memory leak somewhere though because when I have a lot of web I get about 30 fps even though the web is just an image.

Anyway, I've become pretty good at shooting web.   Durr...?

lol

Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 08:41:52 AM »

Dang that looks creepy and awesome :D

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 10:04:45 AM »

Can you make web strands stick to other web strands to make true webs?
Either way I already stated that this is some sexy silk.

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

Yodhe
Level 0

Flying Lasanga

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 12:22:41 PM »

With going too far...
There's Fez in the thread next door, so to speak...

I tend to dislike the term "indie" these days, as it has imho become "inflated", and
hijacked for PR usage.
Also looking good and playing well, can be quite subjective and emotive, and largely down to personal preference/experience.
But you don't need me to make comparisons with other people's work, with your own. Just keep on putting in the time and effort, (and a little love tends to help) and I am sure your will have a beautiful game at the end.

Bunker Mentality - Post Apocalyptic Squad Turn Based Strategy RPG - http://www.justanotherturn.com
kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2011, 12:25:35 PM »

Nice webs  Cheesy

I would like to see them using physics or something  Waaagh!

deadZed
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 11:20:53 PM »

I don't know of any physics engines that does ropes naturally and since I'm not a programmer I've done the simplest solution I could think of; a series of small joints in box2d.

Care to elaborate on the creation-of-web-process? Its jaw dropping beautiful. Ive done hangbridges and the likes in box2d, but thats created on the spot so to speak (objects in a row with revolution joints). Are these something similar? And then drawn with graphics.curveTo()? That throwing/expanding action is so neat!  Kiss Kiss Kiss

Ashkin
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 11:58:59 PM »

IT'S ALL OVER THE WAAAALLS
<3
cynicalsandel
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 28, 2011, 06:52:14 AM »

Just found this thread. This is beautiful. I look forward to seeing what you do about gameplay.

Bones
Level 10

3 Months Sober

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: September 28, 2011, 10:53:16 PM »

Nice webs  Cheesy

I would like to see them using physics or something  Waaagh!

Did you miss the link to the Web physics test video in the first post?

Sit down and relax,
Keeping focus on your breath,
This may take a while.

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: September 29, 2011, 12:57:34 AM »

I echo Yohde, I am not into platformers but this looks neat.

What do you do with the webs?

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 29, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »

I've made old web stop simulating now. There's a memory leak somewhere though because when I have a lot of web I get about 30 fps even though the web is just an image.

Are you rendering each web into it's own image or combining them into the same few images?  If each web becomes its own image which is rendered seperately then the slow down could be due to the increasing number of draw calls.

Also have you considered using a fixed pool of joints for the web rather than creating and deleting new ones all the time?  That might help you with performance too and also make your memory usage safer and prevent possible accumulative leaks.
Mr Dumle
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 29, 2011, 02:42:06 PM »

It's not a priority right now. Maybe in the future if I come up with some fun gameplay to go with that. If you have any ideas hit me.

Are you rendering each web into it's own image or combining them into the same few images?  If each web becomes its own image which is rendered seperately then the slow down could be due to the increasing number of draw calls.

Also have you considered using a fixed pool of joints for the web rather than creating and deleting new ones all the time?  That might help you with performance too and also make your memory usage safer and prevent possible accumulative leaks.

Thanks for the tip. I only use one image now. It runs much faster. I also limited the amount of web you can shoot which makes the web not take up so much memory. (duh)

What do you do with the webs?

Artistic self-expression.  Noir

ninto
Level 4

slowly

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2011, 03:00:12 PM »

Loving this! I dug through your post history, and noticed you've been making character sketches as long as 2008!

I'm deciding on the main characters sprite.
I haven't done a sprite since I last used RpgMaker 5-6 years ago. So tips are appreciated.

I'm also working on a concept of a main character. I can't find a color that I like though..

Keep up the awesome work!
Destral
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2011, 08:12:02 PM »

It's not a priority right now. Maybe in the future if I come up with some fun gameplay to go with that. If you have any ideas hit me.

You could have 'LUNCH TIME!' intermission minigame, where the goal is to create a functional web in a minute, then you have flies and other bugs flying from the back of the screen into the screen (think all the newfangled 3D movies, or Mode 7 sprites on the SNES) and if they come in contact with the web they get caught, and depending on how many you catch, you get shinies of some sort (health power-ups or something).

Alternately, for a less bloodthirsty idea, you might have the player create a horizontal 'net' or other barrier to prevent some catastrophe (cave ins, or floods, or something), with the goal being to create as solid a barrier in as little time as possible.

EDIT: to remove myself from the quotation box, and to mention that the protagonist sprite and concept pieces are great Smiley

ActualDog
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2011, 08:19:43 PM »

I'm honestly in love with the way the web shooting plays out right now.  I can't wait to see what you do with this!  I feel like it would be a blast just to run around and shoot the webs everywhere, so I hope you come up with an awesome way to utilize them.

motorherp
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2011, 12:48:06 AM »

Thanks for the tip. I only use one image now. It runs much faster. I also limited the amount of web you can shoot which makes the web not take up so much memory. (duh)

Glad I could help  Smiley.  Loving the game so far btw, cant wait to see more  Coffee
Mattivc
Level 0

Level 21 Viking Programmer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2011, 01:47:23 AM »

Love the look of the game so far. And the web is a really interesting game mechanic.

Think you can do lots of fun stuff with it.

Just a few of the top of my head:

There is a incoming swarm of fireflys.
You have 30 seconds and 10 strings of web to make a net that will catch as many of them as possible. If to many get caught in a single string, they might brake it.

Strengthen a structure with your webs before it falls apart.

Trap some giant boss and restrict its movement enough with your web, so you can come close enough to use your poison bite.

Make it possible to connect web string onto each other, so you can build nets and structures. Then make it possible to climb your own webs to get around.

Keep up the good work, i think this could become a awesome game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic