Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411281 Posts in 69324 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 10:09:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBirdyWorld again
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: BirdyWorld again  (Read 20325 times)
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2011, 01:58:46 PM »

Yay, it's BirdyWorld again!
If you don't remember/never played the original, it was my entry for the Assemblee competition.  It was a Zelda-like game where players collaboratively added to an initially blank world, one screen at a time.  It was also a concept I enjoyed, and so wanted to return to, eventually.

So, here goes.

I've got some changes in mind from the original competition version.  I'm using this Alundra-style engine-thingy I was working on some time back but never got a chance to use, and so there will be a more definite distinction of height.  It's gonna be a tricky thing to work with, though.

There's also going to be other characters besides the birdy, so I doubt the name will stay.

Anyway: BirdyWorld!  Here goes nothin'!

... Screenshot repository ...

« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 10:31:56 AM by Fifth » Logged
poe
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 03:31:59 PM »

I just tried the original, this looks much better and I did enjoy that one. The game could greatly use some sounds Wink (Assuming my speakers just haven't died on me secretly)

If I'm not mistaken the worlds are taken from the interwebs? Very cool!
im9today
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 03:37:56 PM »

looks good
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA I AM SO EXCITED I JUST CANNOT WAIT AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA [/fangirling]

Oh my gosh I am honest to goodness excited to see this be worked on again! I LOVED the original and justaioerbklenblernbkle  Tears of Joy

I love the graphics you got going there! So yummy! :D
Geeze
Level 5

Totally.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 09:13:00 PM »

Hand Thumbs Up LeftEvil:handthumbsupR:
Will there be a co-op mode?
Will there be palettechanged characters?
Will there be online co-op?

I absolutely liked the original. (I even voted for it if remember correctly)
Keep up the good work!

Ashkin
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 09:24:08 PM »

YES YES YES YES YES YES YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
J. R. Hill
Level 10

hi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »

This is great news.  Man I played the first version for so many hours.  It was awesome when there were other people playing it...  You'd basically be building the dungeon you were fighting in together.  Or when you finished a dungeon, you'd be wandering around getting ready to build the next dungeon and then suddenly someone else made one and you had to hunt around to find out where it was...  Or when I was the first one to beat a boss and got to choose what item it dropped...  Or or when I found someone made a maze and I got to wander around in it...  Man I am nostalgia-bombing already.

I will play this game.  I would even pay money to play this game.

Also, these are features that I dream of:
1. Different regions - i.e. fulfill certain requirements and your world-building tools can be switched to ice-world blocks, desert world, mountain-top area, etc.
2. Safe zones - like, a house you could build that has a policeman or something that prevents enemies from spawning in a certain radius (for making towns, etc)
3. The ability to "undo" the last zone you created (i.e. if you make a mistake)
4. Lots more NPCs
5. Moderators to prevent griefing (e.g. making screens that are completely solid rock)
6. Persistent perks - Beat a world and you get a prize you can carry over into other worlds?  Even if it's just cosmetic...

Although to be fair, I would play it even if it was just the old game re-skinned lol.  As long as other people are playing it too.

hi
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:04:33 PM »

are you still using only assemblee graphics?

Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2011, 11:08:00 PM »

Cool, I remember playing the original version a lot, it was great fun. Looking forward to how you improve it.  Smiley
KittenEater
Level 1

NYEEEAAUUUGH

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 05:29:44 AM »

Aaaaaaa, I never got to play the original because I had dialup then...
Finally, another chance!
Super looking forward to this, dude.

EEEEEEEGH
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 05:35:20 PM »

This is quite exciting! The first one was great and the concept has much room for expansion!  Grin
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 10:22:35 PM »

Whoa, thanks for the response, guys!

It's still really early in development, so I'm only yet at the point of getting the screen editor functioning and making all the tileset graphics.  It's slow going, but it's nice to see the little things come together.

I'm still trying to decide on some plans that may alter the game structure quite a bit, particularly concerning the dungeons and powerups.  There are some things I'd like to implement, but I kinda don't want to lose some of the original feel... and I'm afraid of overcomplicating things...
Ah well, I guess I've still got plenty of time to work things out.

Will there be a co-op mode?
Will there be palettechanged characters?
Will there be online co-op?

Hmm, co-op is tricky.  I was trying to think if online play would be feasible, if at least to see other players running around...  I just don't want to have to deal with synching enemies across computers Epileptic
...And there just might be pallete-swapped characters.

Also, these are features that I dream of:
1. Different regions - i.e. fulfill certain requirements and your world-building tools can be switched to ice-world blocks, desert world, mountain-top area, etc.
2. Safe zones - like, a house you could build that has a policeman or something that prevents enemies from spawning in a certain radius (for making towns, etc)
3. The ability to "undo" the last zone you created (i.e. if you make a mistake)
4. Lots more NPCs
5. Moderators to prevent griefing (e.g. making screens that are completely solid rock)
6. Persistent perks - Beat a world and you get a prize you can carry over into other worlds?  Even if it's just cosmetic...

1. Regions are something I've wanted to add, too.  So they'll be there, in some form or another.
2. I like the idea of a policeman house.  As far as making safe zones, it's an elegant solution.
3. I guess some sort of undo could be possible.  Maybe only within a certain time after making the screen, or if you have an item or something.
4. Heh, I guess?  Like in houses/shops, or out and about somehow?
5. I don't know if it will come to needing moderation, but I'll keep the idea open.
6. That's something that I'd like to have, also.  It'd be a tricky thing to balance, though, 'cause it can't be too game-altering.  But I'll try to have something.

are you still using only assemblee graphics?

Nah, I'm shooting for all original graphics here.  The birdy is only there as a placeholder.
Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2011, 10:29:11 PM »

Still workin' on getting everything into a makeshift editor.  Then I'll have to give the editor an actual user interface and whatnot to make it usable.

I'm still kinda afraid that having height is really going to complicate things, even just at the editing level...

But it is fun to work with.  I'll try to get it all manageable.

Also, yay!  Landstalker trees!
Terrorbuns
Level 4

Bluh bluh.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2011, 10:33:50 PM »

Aaaaaa that looks amazing so far  Kiss

As far as adding height, um I got nothing. Sitting here thinking about it, nothing's coming to me. I wish you the best of luck with that!
Ashkin
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2011, 10:39:50 PM »

Oh wow. It already looks way better than the original, and that's saying a whole lot.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2011, 11:10:32 PM »

FOLLOWIN'

It was really cool the first time around, though I never got to build much. It was fascinating wandering out to the edges of the world, where things were deserty and... well, neglected.

Whole thing is cool o.o

Can maps be edited once they're committed and finished? Can they be edited by anyone but the original creator?

Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2011, 12:25:33 AM »

Looks good! I love how it looks so far.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2011, 08:59:30 AM »

Perhaps not having sync'd enemies could actually be interesting. Your pal will yell at you to set down traps or something to kill enemies you can't see, for instance!
Dugan
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2011, 08:08:22 AM »

this is looking great

Fifth
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2011, 03:29:36 PM »

Editor's coming along!  Hopefully I'll be able to move onto other parts of the game soon.
Incidentally, I think I might need a couple testers to try out just the editor, for the sake of usability.

Can maps be edited once they're committed and finished? Can they be edited by anyone but the original creator?

There might be a brief editing period, in case the author feels he messed up on something.
I'm also going in include in-editor testing, though, so hopefully mistakes won't be too much of an issue.  I don't intend that others would be able to edit the page, though.

Perhaps not having sync'd enemies could actually be interesting. Your pal will yell at you to set down traps or something to kill enemies you can't see, for instance!

Heheh, I remember an old Click game that did something like that.  It was bizarre seeing other people running around fighting figments of their imaginations...
Well, we'll see what happens.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic