Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:34:23 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1323184 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1140 on: November 14, 2012, 02:30:13 PM »

I forgot to ask.. what do you actually do in Moonman? Smiley

I'm not sure! :D

My main idea at the moment is for it to be a world exploration/sandbox game, in many ways like Dwarf Fortresses Adventurer mode. So the first step on loading the game will be to create a new world, which will likely take several minutes to create. Once this is done you can create a new character within that world, choosing from a number of different moonmen, each with different states, appearances, abilities, starting equipment, etc. In this aspect it's more like Nethack. E.g., the main moonman (the one used throughout this devlog so far) may have the ability to recharge power when the green moon is up, others may get it from eating mushrooms, etc. Eventually there will be goals within the world, but at least until then there will be the implicit goal of "find more stuff to make cool armour/weapons/devices."

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: November 15, 2012, 04:03:25 AM »

I forgot to ask.. what do you actually do in Moonman? Smiley

I'm not sure! :D

My main idea at the moment is for it to be a world exploration/sandbox game, in many ways like Dwarf Fortresses Adventurer mode. So the first step on loading the game will be to create a new world, which will likely take several minutes to create. Once this is done you can create a new character within that world, choosing from a number of different moonmen, each with different states, appearances, abilities, starting equipment, etc. In this aspect it's more like Nethack. E.g., the main moonman (the one used throughout this devlog so far) may have the ability to recharge power when the green moon is up, others may get it from eating mushrooms, etc. Eventually there will be goals within the world, but at least until then there will be the implicit goal of "find more stuff to make cool armour/weapons/devices."

Cool, so, you'll be free to do what you want on the game, but there are some goals.

Btw, MM ran lovely well on my father's MacBook Pro (gt 320m), but the fps is very unstable. It gets down to 36, and then go up to 60, and then go down to 40...  Roll Eyes

Oh, I forgot what's the command that "creates" water. What is?  Shrug

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1142 on: November 15, 2012, 01:37:15 PM »

Btw, MM ran lovely well on my father's MacBook Pro (gt 320m), but the fps is very unstable. It gets down to 36, and then go up to 60, and then go down to 40...  Roll Eyes

Cool, thx for testing it out dude! The fps issue doesn't sound very good, I didn't experience that on my mac mini, so that's weird. Did you have lighting 'L' on at the time?

As for water, I stupidly mapped it to Middle Click or LeftCtrl+LeftClick, which as jmcmorris pointed out gets mapped to Right Click on the mac, which removes the block placing ability - doh! It's fixed now in the code but I won't do another build until 0.3, so you might not be able to place blocks and/or place water (until you plug in a 3 button mouse).

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1143 on: November 15, 2012, 01:40:30 PM »

Not to worry, with your fancy time keeping code you can see what's causing the problem.. Wink
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1144 on: November 15, 2012, 01:42:27 PM »

Not to worry, with your fancy time keeping code you can see what's causing the problem.. Wink

Yeh true!

@coolestnerdguy, if you press f1 i think (or f2) you can bring up the profiler. let it average out for a few seconds and then if you don't mind could you either screenshot it or post the results here? cheers!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1145 on: November 15, 2012, 07:43:36 PM »

Update: Keeping up the updates, even boring ones, gotta keep momentum up and work harder! CEGUI was giving me some aches when getting the OSX build working, but I only use it for a simple debug console, so I disabled it for now and wrote my own console: it word-wraps and scrolls slowly so you have time to read the messages. Piccy as usual.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1146 on: November 15, 2012, 10:27:40 PM »

Update: Ladders! (just need to do a climbing anim now). Click image for a gif animation.

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: November 16, 2012, 05:06:12 AM »

Cool, thx for testing it out dude! The fps issue doesn't sound very good, I didn't experience that on my mac mini, so that's weird. Did you have lighting 'L' on at the time?

You're welcome  Wink. Independent of the lighting be on or no the fps still the same.  Concerned
When I'm just walking around, it runs about 60, sometimes 70 fps.
When I jump sometimes it drops to 45, but never under that.
When I'm breaking a lot of stuff with the super pickaxe, sometime it drops to 50 fps.

As for water, I stupidly mapped it to Middle Click or LeftCtrl+LeftClick, which as jmcmorris pointed out gets mapped to Right Click on the mac, which removes the block placing ability - doh! It's fixed now in the code but I won't do another build until 0.3, so you might not be able to place blocks and/or place water (until you plug in a 3 button mouse).

Strange... I can place blocks normally, but not wather.

@coolestnerdguy, if you press f1 i think (or f2) you can bring up the profiler. let it average out for a few seconds and then if you don't mind could you either screenshot it or post the results here? cheers!

Sometimes, input goes red. That's a bad signal, right?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1148 on: November 16, 2012, 02:09:18 PM »

ok thx dude, could either be the renderer or the physics engine by the sounds of it. i pm'ed you about not being able to see the image.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1149 on: November 16, 2012, 09:33:58 PM »

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: November 17, 2012, 06:22:28 AM »

I am a little disappointed that you didn't crop the top and bottom so it looks like a continuous ladder.

Wooooo ladders!

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: November 17, 2012, 09:30:56 AM »

That ladder-climbing animation doesn't look too sexy  Huh?

You might want to improve it probably?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1152 on: November 17, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »

@kamac its a first attempt, and like most of the things here will probably get shoved into the game to be iterated on down the track, i've got to test it in-game to see if its crapness is actually noticable given the other things happening. anything particular you can suggest to change?

Delicious
Level 5

View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: November 17, 2012, 02:25:51 PM »

Actually, that's a good animation. Works well, not much else you can do with that size.

Blah Blah Blah <3
Twitter - Zjdelicious
Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: November 17, 2012, 04:11:52 PM »

ok thx dude, could either be the renderer or the physics engine by the sounds of it. i pm'ed you about not being able to see the image.

Weird... I can see it. Anyway, I emailed you.

That's actually pretty good, I think.

zizmax
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1155 on: November 17, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »

Hmm, just downloaded the OSX demo and it crashes immediately.  No No NO I am on an early 2011 MacBook Pro with Lion. Here is the crash report: http://pastebin.com/6sdpQyJC I didn't look at it all, the problem may be my fault/really obvious.  Shrug

Working on a really cool project right now....
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1156 on: November 17, 2012, 07:55:45 PM »

Hmm, just downloaded the OSX demo and it crashes immediately.  No No NO I am on an early 2011 MacBook Pro with Lion. Here is the crash report: http://pastebin.com/6sdpQyJC I didn't look at it all, the problem may be my fault/really obvious.  Shrug

Hey dude, thx for that its really helpful! It's not your fault. The error is that sfml expects a version of freetype (used for font rendering) that isn't on your system -- I might just have to bundle it in the package. Thx again.

zizmax
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1157 on: November 18, 2012, 01:27:37 PM »

Cool. Can't wait 'till there is a solution.  Smiley

Working on a really cool project right now....
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1158 on: November 18, 2012, 03:15:52 PM »

Cool. Can't wait 'till there is a solution.  Smiley

You might be able to fix it by updating freetype on your system, but I'll definitely look into including it in the next mac build. :D

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1159 on: November 18, 2012, 08:56:25 PM »

Update: Added the climb anim and logic into the game. It looks kinda Giggle but is here to stay until I review all the animation stuff.

Click for gif

Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic