Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 24, 2024, 09:11:30 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1322510 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: November 24, 2011, 01:21:30 PM »

Will moonman have any public demo (soon)?

My current plan is to have an alpha done by April. I'll put a call out for testers around then. It'll run on windows and mac.

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 24, 2011, 01:25:11 PM »

April...

...  Facepalm

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: November 24, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »

Yea, I drew it. Thanks Smiley

np, his wang is kinda freaking me out tho...
Yea, I kind of reached that area for clean up and thought of doing the usual, alien pelvis, but then I saw it looked like a little wang so I decided to leave it this way.  Cheesy

Master of all trades.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: November 24, 2011, 01:29:20 PM »

April...
...  Facepalm

Awww don't be like that, have patience. How long does it take you to make a game? ... Smiley

@pompipompi I appreciate the fanart. Mind if I include it in the creds?

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2011, 01:32:26 PM »

April...
...  Facepalm

Awww don't be like that, have patience. How long does it take you to make a game? ... Smiley

Sure, I don't mind. Smiley

Edit: I will be honored

Master of all trades.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2011, 01:35:12 PM »

April...
...  Facepalm

Sure, I don't mind. Smiley

Edit: I will be honored

Awesome. :D

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2011, 02:15:16 PM »

Awww don't be like that, have patience. How long does it take you to make a game? ...

On Android a shitty game took me one month, for PC i don't know. I never finished one.

"I never finished one." ... Facepalm

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2011, 02:22:26 PM »

@kamac

Are you addicted to facepalming? Can I try it? Facepalm Ooh yeh that felt good...

moonman is the biggest game I've ever made so far, I'm working quite hard on it (roughly 3 full days a week), and I think April is a very tight deadline for a playable, non-annoying, and, most importantly, fun, alpha.

thatredant
Level 0

if(post.create){ thatredant.reply; }

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 24, 2011, 10:17:55 PM »

This looks amazing! I Iove the Ascii-art style. Looks like it takes a lot of inspiration from Minecraft, Terraria,  etc.?

Working on a resource-gathering realtime roguelike!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: November 24, 2011, 10:37:50 PM »

This looks amazing! I Iove the Ascii-art style. Looks like it takes a lot of inspiration from Minecraft, Terraria,  etc.?

Thx, those are the main influences, although I've always wanted to build an open world game focused on building and exploration since I was 15 or so (15 years ago!). I think there's heaps more we can do in this space, and moonman is my little take on the genre.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: November 28, 2011, 11:43:28 PM »

Smashing some moonman code tomorree ... but until then, feast your oculi on these ...

(BIG version)
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 11:14:11 PM by eigenbom » Logged

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #131 on: November 29, 2011, 10:43:30 PM »

Update: Got the engine compiled and running on OSX and am ready to smash the moonman input->physics->sprite chain tomorrow.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: November 30, 2011, 11:13:52 PM »

Update: Input->physics->sprite chain is now linked up. Here's a minicap of me running around, changing weapons and heads. It's almost starting to feel like a game ... Crazy

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 01, 2011, 08:22:25 PM »

Update: Worked on sky rendering today. Sky changes colour depending on the time of day. Stars are visible at night and rotate on the planets celestial axis. Click image for animation.

Edit: Oh I should also mention that I'm taking a week off next week. So MM will be on hold for then.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: December 02, 2011, 10:48:15 PM »

Ok, I lied, I couldn't resist doing a bit of moonman coding today, but I'm definitely leaving tomorrow morning, so then, no more updates for a week. Smiley

Update: Today I got to code a bit, so added a background layer, it has few layers with parallax scrolling, and blends in with the sky to model atmospheric scattering/fog. The mountains are just placeholders at the moment, and my intention is to have different background scenery depending on your location, so snow biome will have snowy mountains, etc. Click image for youtubes video!

BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: December 02, 2011, 10:51:35 PM »

My only gripe is that mountains should not be higher up on the screen the farther back they are. They should either be smaller or lower. assuming all mountains are of the same height of course. But as it is it just looks awkward.

I like it though.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 02, 2011, 11:02:35 PM »

Yeh I definitely agree, they are just placeholders though. Smiley

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: December 03, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »

My only gripe is that mountains should not be higher up on the screen the farther back they are. They should either be smaller or lower. assuming all mountains are of the same height of course. But as it is it just looks awkward.

I like it though.

I don't see the problem – foothills are lower and closer than the taller, farther, mountains.

The alternative is putting low mountains behind tall mountains, which you'd hardly see.
BlueSweatshirt
Level 10

the void

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: December 03, 2011, 11:07:38 AM »

Well that's just one way to look at it. I made that judgement on the assumption that all the mountains were supposed to be relatively the same height. Also, if they were foothills I don't think they would point like that  Tongue

Anyway, like eigenbom said, they're just placeholders.  Smiley

PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: December 04, 2011, 03:46:20 AM »

If mountains are at the same height, then the mountains on the background should be the highest, but they still need to conform to normal perspective.
Let's say the following set is the peak height of the mountain in screen space relative to the center of the screen, from the closest to the farset. Then the set should be something like:

-2, -1, -2/3

Or in other words:
h - Closest mountain screen space height.
d - distance between two adjacent mountains(in z)
Then,
y_i = h/(1+i*d);

The point is, both screen space world space x and y should be scaled by 1/z, where x and y are numbers relative to the screen's center. And z is the distance from the 'camera', either in world space or some normalized distance value.

This is out of my head, I hope I didn't make any mistake. Maybe others can elaborate.

Edit: Sorry, actually x, y and z should be in world space.

Master of all trades.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic