Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69372 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 06:11:50 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1322558 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3440 on: December 23, 2015, 12:58:29 PM »

What happened to his face?! Hes just a smile now!! Where did his eyes go?!?!
MOOONMAN NOOOOOOOooooo. your eyes.

That's not Moonman, there's more than one playable character ... Wink

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3441 on: December 23, 2015, 01:10:52 PM »

Happy holidays everyone, see you all in 2016. Smiley

Happy x-mas and thanks for this fantasctic dev log!

Connor
Level 8

Smooth talker, musician. Loves all things 70s.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3442 on: December 23, 2015, 02:35:25 PM »

this game looks better and better every time i check it. stop being so incredibly talented, XD

Firearrow games
www.firearrowgames.net

blitzkampfer:
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=52009.msg1280646#msg1280646

too bad eggybooms ents are actually men in paper mache suits and they NEED to be agile
naezith
Level 2

Remnants of Naezith

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3443 on: December 23, 2015, 05:21:04 PM »

Happy holidays everyone, see you all in 2016. Smiley

did he hit the gym a lot recently? he seems bulked up!

Quarry
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: December 28, 2015, 03:08:49 AM »

Actually I'm liking the smoothman more than the IBMman
Josich
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3445 on: January 02, 2016, 06:49:50 AM »

I can't wait much more.  Gomez

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3446 on: January 07, 2016, 10:09:49 PM »

Update: Hello 2016! I'm back.

I'm back to work, starting to prod and poke in the code again, trying to remember how to program. I've only had two weeks off, but it feels like an eternity. We've got a massive year ahead of us, so we've got to get started!

We'll be releasing the final private build in the first week of March. We plan to make this available to all the ($20+) backers. The first public release would then be a couple of months after that.

Here's a peek at our current schedule:

This week I've started implementing item effects. If you poke someone with the ice spear, they will contract the temporary 'cold' effect and slow down. We'll be expanding this to a range of different effects, some of which can be resisted with certain shields and armours. Some characters and creatures have passive effects .. for instance Moonman will have a passive Regen effect, allowing him to heal slowly over time.

In terms of art, here are some of Alex's WIPs for the medium and heavy armours. We hope to have them all finished and working for the public release, but we'll also have a whole bunch of clothes and armours for the next private build.

G.P. has wrapped up work for now while I try to catch up with all the other tasks. One of the last pieces he worked on was a gorgeous forest background concept.

I hope you all had a great holiday break and are well rested. Thanks for reading and see you next week!

sam_suite
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3447 on: January 08, 2016, 11:22:16 PM »

Wow, that's beautiful! very Sword and Sworcery.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3448 on: January 15, 2016, 11:01:04 PM »

Update: To kick this post off I'm happy to announce that Moonman has received an arts grant from Film Victoria. This funding will cover the remaining costs of releasing the game in 6 months. Alex will now continue as part-time artist and help with the majority of remaining sprite and background work.

As per the schedule I posted last week, this week I designed and coded the new status effect system. The game now has the following effects: Illuminate, Heal, Ignite, Freeze, Poison, Knockback, Resist Damage. And placeholders for many more including: Curse, Stun, Cure, Modify Speed, and so on. Effects can be applied in many different ways -- for instance, getting hit by a poison sword may temporarily poison you, quaffing a potion may give you an instant heal effect, or jumping into lava may activate the ignite effect.

Although the game already had things like light-casting torches, healing mushrooms, and things that caught on fire, I've now centralised all the effects by re-writing some large chunks of code. From a component point-of-view, there is now an Effectable component that stores status effects. Mobs, Items, and World Objects are now all effectable.

Some things are inherently immune to status effects, an iron chest can't be poisoned for instance. Other resistances come from natural resistances of Mobs (e.g., a Stonodon may resist Cold effects), or from the Resist status effects (e.g., wearing Gloom Armour gives you 100% poison resistance, at a cost).

I also designed the item durability system, but have not yet started coding it. Item durability will be fairly straightforward. The key difference to a game like Minecraft is that when an item breaks it won't disappear, but instead will just be in the [broken] state. Broken items are basically useless, with a few exceptions. Early level enemies will typically drop broken or weak items.

Now for some screens ..

and ..

errrorrr

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: January 16, 2016, 04:06:10 AM »

1. Congratulations!

2. dat gif

Hand Metal Left

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #3450 on: January 16, 2016, 08:05:22 AM »

Congrats on the grant! That's huge to have yourselves financially covered through the rest of development. Best of luck on the final leg of development...

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3451 on: January 17, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »

Thanks! :D

TheFoRuMDEsTroier
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: January 18, 2016, 12:44:54 AM »

wp bro Cool
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: January 18, 2016, 07:10:04 AM »

Why does his belly look so.... jiggly? He looks like he's underwater or something but he isnt??

DrDerekDoctors
THE ARSEHAMMER
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3454 on: January 18, 2016, 09:05:57 AM »

Whoop! So glad I backed this. Smiley Looking forward to playing it immensely. Smiley

Me, David Williamson and Mark Foster do an Indie Games podcast. Give it a listen. And then I'll send you an apology.
http://pigignorant.com/
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3455 on: January 18, 2016, 04:42:33 PM »

Why does his belly look so.... jiggly? He looks like he's underwater or something but he isnt??

Oh that's a bug atm. I've got a heat-distort effect but right now it's applied to any light-emitting source.

Whoop! So glad I backed this. Smiley Looking forward to playing it immensely. Smiley

Thx and thx! Smiley

kleiba
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: January 19, 2016, 01:31:54 PM »

Congrats for the grant! Hand Money Left
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3457 on: January 23, 2016, 06:15:59 PM »

Thanks Kleibs!

Update: Just a little update, I'm a bit crook so it's been a slow week. Work on effects continued: frozen (slowed) mobs now makes icy particles, healing mobs make green floaty particles, etc.

Alex and I have been discussing some big adjustments to the gui -- one particularly interesting concept is to move the individual inventories so they sit above the Mobs/Items. So, for example, opening a chest would pop its inventory open above it. We'd need to prototype and playtest, but the early mockups are promising.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3458 on: January 31, 2016, 03:24:56 PM »

Update:

Started to clean up the forest area. The goal is to add more interesting features, update the animals, and make the existing things clearer. One feature is that the entrance to the stone cove now generates light and small particles and is generally unobscured. The lunar buds that hint at where it is are also more clearer spread out.

Many of these improvements require more complete analysis and investigation tools. In this debug output I show the rough sizes of the caves that are generated -- which then influences what I put in them, and how they fit in the larger scheme.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3459 on: February 02, 2016, 04:22:54 PM »

Two bugs (or features). Gibs-bridge and naked-cave.

Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic