Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 10:17:46 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1319700 times)
Skellapeal
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3500 on: April 29, 2016, 07:55:28 PM »

What platforms are you hoping to release on?

Can I find this on Steam Greenlight or something similar? I'd love to get an e-mail to find out when this gets released. Great work!

Redux Links: devlogs
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3501 on: April 29, 2016, 08:31:20 PM »

What platforms are you hoping to release on?

Can I find this on Steam Greenlight or something similar? I'd love to get an e-mail to find out when this gets released. Great work!

It'll be on PC/Mac/Linux at first. Depending on how that goes I'd love to do other platforms. There's a mailing list sign up on the moonman.io website if you want notification of release. Cheers!

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3502 on: May 02, 2016, 09:01:27 AM »

I would like to suggest support for the Watara Supervision. It's gonna make a comeback very soon.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3503 on: May 08, 2016, 05:08:24 PM »

> I would like to suggest support for the Watara Supervision.

The perfect platform!

Update: Progress continues on the AI.

Mobs can now jump up and down through platforms and open doors. I solved many little glitches where the AI was getting stuck when trying to jump up in small gaps etc., and I finally solved the glitch where characters would get stuck on the edge of a wall or the corner of a ledge (this includes for the player). Mobs also now re-plan their routes along the way.

One interesting thing I implemented was an internal 'frustration level'. If a mob is trying to get somewhere, but failing for whatever reason, its frustration level increases. An increased frustration corresponds to a higher variability in jumping. Hopefully this means you won't see a mob repeatedly jumping the same height to get up to a ledge. On the behaviour side of things, I'll also have a 'plan attempts' and tell the mob to give up completely after a certain number of tries.

Speaking of behaviour, I've implemented enough of the path-finding system to start work on the actual Mob behaviours. As a first test I implemented a 'guard' behaviour. A guarding Mob will stay in a particular area, but will start chasing the player if he comes within a certain distance. A guard has a max dist he will chase an entity (unless he is being attacked), before which he returns to his post.

This week I'll be implementing more of these behaviours, such as 'Roam Around', 'Flee', 'Patrol', etc.

There is a lot more going on behind the scenes. The Veil and Pyre artwork is coming along nicely, and the new programmer, Sam, is starting this week. Here's a sneak peek of what the lower part of the Veil will look like:

Rusk
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3504 on: May 10, 2016, 02:17:00 PM »

One interesting thing I implemented was an internal 'frustration level'. If a mob is trying to get somewhere, but failing for whatever reason, its frustration level increases. An increased frustration corresponds to a higher variability in jumping. Hopefully this means you won't see a mob repeatedly jumping the same height to get up to a ledge. On the behaviour side of things, I'll also have a 'plan attempts' and tell the mob to give up completely after a certain number of tries.

Nice, that will make the mobs seem much more intelligent. Is there also a randomness in which path they try first? With a bit of luck that could give the impression of two mobs trying to work together to surround the player. Ninja Hand Point Right  Sad  Hand Point Left Ninja
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3505 on: May 12, 2016, 06:17:17 PM »

Nice, that will make the mobs seem much more intelligent. Is there also a randomness in which path they try first? With a bit of luck that could give the impression of two mobs trying to work together to surround the player. Ninja Hand Point Right  Sad  Hand Point Left Ninja

Great idea, I definitely need to add some more randomness in the paths they create.

SolS
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3506 on: May 12, 2016, 06:21:15 PM »

This looks really good! Following! (better late than never)

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3507 on: May 15, 2016, 05:29:33 PM »

This looks really good! Following! (better late than never)

Cheers and welcome Smiley

Update:

Last week we started to finalise the list of all the creatures that may be in the game. To this list we've removed some old creatures and added new ones. It's sad to let the old ones go, but I'm excited about all the new variations we'll have, such as Maverick, a laser shooting horse from the void.

Here are some of the new creatures that will appear in the final game: Bullfrog (small brown frog), Crystal Hound, Red Komodo, Rhino (a variation of Brute), Sewer Grot, Bloat, Tesseract, Leech.

Most of this are just variations of existing creatures. For example The Tesseract is an emerald-coloured snow menace, that shoots a healing ray instead of an ice ray. Variations can also include new parts/sprites, so the Red Komodo may have a spined collar, for example. Like with the armour variations, this allows us to add more creature types with less work. Here are some old concepts of snail variations, showing how this recolouring and redrawing might work:

For the volcano level we've started to redesign and simplify the demons. Ig and pig have been redesigned and have another friend. Here's pigg running around.

With most of this stuff Alex will do a bunch of different concepts and then we discuss which one will work best. Here are some concepts for the Forge Wanderer. We decided to go with a variation of the first one, which is simpler and has more clear shapes.

After a discussion with Alex I started to think more about how the game will all fit together, and I've come up with a basic model. It revolves around the idea of 'setups' and 'situations'. A situation is an event, conflict, obstacle, reward, or interaction you may encounter, and a setup is a precondition that would help with that. For example:

A tomb in Mesa contains a treasure, but is filled with a horde of cursed hounds. Luckily, the player found a seam of silver ore in the forest and so has a silver helmet, which resists cursing.
The situation there is "cursed creatures" and the setup is "silver in forest". By creating many of these situations and setups, arranged in a big network, I think we'll be able to give the game some structure. Situations could also be positive, for example: a locked chest is a situation that requires a key as a setup. Difficulty of the game could be adjusted by associating difficulty levels with situations and setups. A 'gold ore' setup could be made to be more difficult by hiding the gold ore in a rare place, or surrounding the ore with aggressive foes. The cursed creatures situation could be made more or less difficulty by reducing the number of cursed creatures.

Until now I've been thinking about the game as a whole, trying to imagine how all the resources and items interact with each other in one complete game. But by breaking it down into these small pairs of setup/situation, I can finally start to comprehend how a single game will play out. Sometime soon, within the next two months I'll start to put this into action.

We are aiming to get the first linux alpha out by the end of this week. @BananaboySam has been working diligently and the main thing we need to figure out is how to effectively package the game so it works across multiple distributions.

andes-neumann
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3508 on: May 15, 2016, 07:47:00 PM »

I haven't gotten through reading the whole devlog yet, but gee golly this game looks good!

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3509 on: May 16, 2016, 05:09:57 PM »

Just look what I found today!

http://www.pcgamer.com/moonman-terraria-meets-spelunky-in-strange-2d-landscapes/?utm_content=buffer33569&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamer

Looking good, Eigenbom :D

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3510 on: May 16, 2016, 06:33:09 PM »

I haven't gotten through reading the whole devlog yet, but gee golly this game looks good!

Cheers! Smiley

Oh thanks for the link, I didn't see that Smiley

Hephep
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3511 on: May 17, 2016, 12:18:58 AM »

following, I'm not a fan of Terraria or something but I LOVE your graphics, so cute, and the part on the AI is very interesting. Are your characters on a 64*32 size? Do you have some tips about texture design for your walls? I struggle with bricks patterns in my project, is it a problem if I take inspiration from your work?

(and what do you use for doing all your gif? I can only make crappy video with OBS)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 12:48:25 AM by Hephep » Logged

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3512 on: May 17, 2016, 09:40:57 AM »

(and what do you use for doing all your gif? I can only make crappy video with OBS)

Use Gifcam, it's very good, free and superlight.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3513 on: May 19, 2016, 04:46:35 PM »

Do you have some tips about texture design for your walls? I struggle with bricks patterns in my project, is it a problem if I take inspiration from your work?

Use reference images, stick to 3 or 4 colours, build the tiles out of solid shapes, and so on. Just do lots and lots of work exploring different styles and I'm sure you'll get there. Look at all the other games like minecraft and terraria and analyse what you like and dislike about their tiles.

This particular style took a long time to settle on, and a lot of the stuff I show these days are done by the other artists on the team - people much more talented than me.

As for gifs, I use licecap!

Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3514 on: May 23, 2016, 06:39:18 PM »

How did you learn to make pixel art/tiles so well? I'm pretty new to the gamedev industry, and work with Unity. I'm not very good at coding, and am even worse at art.

Any tutorial you used in particular?

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3515 on: May 23, 2016, 09:33:32 PM »

How did you learn to make pixel art/tiles so well? I'm pretty new to the gamedev industry, and work with Unity. I'm not very good at coding, and am even worse at art.

As everyone will tell you, practice makes the master. But a beginner have to learn somewhere. So here are 2 good tutorials: Derek Yu's Pixel Art Tutorial and PixelJoint's Tutorial

After you learn the basics, you are by yourself. Study a lot of pixel art pieces and make your own pieces. Also, you can ask for feedback on the Creative/Art subforum.

Also, Ben! Are you planning to make an alpha or beta one day? Because you will need it soon or later. Or you are already doing that?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3516 on: May 25, 2016, 03:18:37 PM »

What Shackhal said. Also I started a pixel art community called Pixel Dailies over on Twitter where we people practise every day. I'm not involved too much any more, but I completed a full year of daily pixel art pieces that gave me a great boost to understand how it all works.

As everyone will tell you, practice makes the master. But a beginner have to learn somewhere. So here are 2 good tutorials: Derek Yu's Pixel Art Tutorial and PixelJoint's Tutorial

After you learn the basics, you are by yourself. Study a lot of pixel art pieces and make your own pieces. Also, you can ask for feedback on the Creative/Art subforum.

Also, Ben! Are you planning to make an alpha or beta one day? Because you will need it soon or later. Or you are already doing that?

Yes! We've been running a closed alpha test for the last year, and are close to running a closed beta with a much larger group.

Actually that's why I've dropped by. We've just uploaded the first Linux version of Moonman, so if you backed the game at the alpha level on the KS then drop by the forums and help us test the Linux version.

Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3517 on: May 25, 2016, 06:24:25 PM »

Unfortunately, I didn't backed it. I was poor at that moment.

It's good to know that you already have testing support from your fans.

Haggen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3518 on: May 25, 2016, 06:34:06 PM »

Very nice work.
If I had been there before, I would back at KS. Dammit.

Any ETR?
Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3519 on: May 26, 2016, 07:18:02 PM »

Why did you choose to make your own engine with SFML and C++? And why did you choose C++ over something like Monogame and C#? Just wondering, since I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around basic stuff  Grin

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
Pages: 1 ... 174 175 [176] 177 178 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic