Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411276 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 11:44:08 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1299951 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3580 on: September 11, 2016, 04:21:30 PM »

Oh man I didn't realize No Mario's Sky was yours. Everyone was playing it at my office! Haha
Good show!

Thx, awesome to hear you guys were playing it Smiley

Getting close to five years of development and that's only what you've logged! 
You definitely have some strengths there buddy.
A premature happy birthday to Moonman!  Beer!

Haha thanks. Seems just like yesterday that I started the project... Bah who am I kidding, it's been an eternity. Smiley

Kakapio
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3581 on: September 11, 2016, 06:58:21 PM »

Quick question:
How do you handle the actual sprites of the equipped items, and their animations? How do you manage to have 2 different sprites, such as a pickaxe and shovel, and give them both the exact same animation with different sprites, synced up with the player's hand? Did you hardcode animations, or did you animate each object as if the player was holding it, and have the animation play in sync with the player?

Also, I believe that I read that this game is being developed by several people, not just you (presumably Ben Porter). If you're doing both programming and art, what are these other people doing?

Thanks!

What will you make?

Twitter
Scarlet Tower DevLog
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3582 on: September 11, 2016, 07:38:27 PM »

Quick question:
How do you handle the actual sprites of the equipped items, and their animations? How do you manage to have 2 different sprites, such as a pickaxe and shovel, and give them both the exact same animation with different sprites, synced up with the player's hand? Did you hardcode animations, or did you animate each object as if the player was holding it, and have the animation play in sync with the player?

Each item has a anchor on it that I move to the position of the hand. It's then rotated as the animation plays out. The rotation angles are hard-coded. The specifics are buried deep in this devlog somewhere (early on).

Also, I believe that I read that this game is being developed by several people, not just you (presumably Ben Porter). If you're doing both programming and art, what are these other people doing? Thanks!

Hey, yep I'm BP. The first 3 years or so it was just me, but for the last 2 years I've had different people come to work on the game for a while.

There have been 3 other major contributors. GP worked for about 6 months on the project part-time and did a huge amount of work on developing the current style, created many of the creature and item designs, and improved a lot of my old assets. Alex has been working on MM for about a year give-or-take, and has done a whole heap of work to do with animations, armour designs, GUI improvements, effects, and so on. Sam worked on MM for a few months and did some dramatic engine improvements and got the game running well on OSX and Linux. Other contributions are in progress by AliceEffect who is doing some of the music.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3583 on: September 16, 2016, 09:23:17 PM »

Update:

Character select is in place and functional. It's a smooth carousel that works with kb, mouse, or controller. Example screenshot below with placeholder portraits. You can also see the tooltips for controls.
Character system is better, all character specification and creation code is in one place, which makes it easier to add new characters, effects, etc.
Inventory items can now be locked. This means you can't remove them from the inventory slot. One example is shown below where the Twilight/Elemental character has horns you can't remove. Two more examples: the moth character that will have wings that lock up the armour slot, wearing a cursed item will lock it until you uncurse.
Load menu shows more details about the same. You can now delete saved games.
All menus can be navigated with controller.
Updated speech bubbles and some other gui elements.
Using the Quantiser underwater will harm you.
Effects are shown as icons next to the health bar (oh there's also a health bar now instead of the hearts.)

Quantiser self-kill

Status effects icons

jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3584 on: September 17, 2016, 02:43:40 AM »

greetings fellow forever project! may your next five years of development be as enjoyable as the last!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3585 on: September 18, 2016, 05:59:39 PM »

greetings fellow forever project! may your next five years of development be as enjoyable as the last!

Hey thanks buddy! It's been the best learning experience of my life. 10/10 would recommend.

RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3586 on: September 19, 2016, 05:17:56 AM »

Woah, Moonman's avatar looks really weird. Somehow I didn't picture him as a buff square headed green guy.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3587 on: September 19, 2016, 05:24:32 AM »

Woah, Moonman's avatar looks really weird. Somehow I didn't picture him as a buff square headed green guy.
+1 Shocked

standardcombo
Level 8

><)))°>

View Profile
« Reply #3588 on: September 19, 2016, 10:53:18 AM »

It lost some of the creepy/phycho look.

Bricabrac
Level 2

Fail again. Fail better.

View Profile
« Reply #3589 on: September 19, 2016, 11:42:23 AM »

I like the portraits, but agree with the others: the Moonman's one is not too convincing. I think the eyes are the main problem... They are "generic gray alien face" eyes, not "happy lunatic" eyes. Maybe just make them more round?

Selling Sunlight - Wandering Merchant RPG
Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3590 on: September 19, 2016, 01:41:03 PM »

im voting for looney face too, also, following!

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #3591 on: September 19, 2016, 02:58:17 PM »

Yeah, it feels very off. He always looked to me more like a happy green jellybean man.

It's a quick MS Paint edit, but maybe something more along these lines? Maybe not?

You can also just move the "face plate" around a bit and get some very different impressions of the character so you can toy with that a bit too to get whatever feels right to you (I am sure being such an abstract character to begin with we all see something a little different).

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 03:04:08 PM by JWK5 » Logged

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3592 on: September 19, 2016, 03:09:01 PM »

Hey guys, thanks for the feedback! I agree with those sentiments wholeheartedly and, like I said in the post, the portraits are placeholders. The Moonman face is actually already different -- much less human, rounder, and funnier. [:D]

I'll post it in the next update!

Enagic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3593 on: September 19, 2016, 06:22:10 PM »

It is truly amazing to see how Moonman has evolved through time. As a new member of this forum, going back to your first posts and see how this started, is really shocking! Really inspiring.

Salutes, buddy (:

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3594 on: September 19, 2016, 06:54:22 PM »

@JWK5 - You've definitely got the right idea, cheers Smiley

@Enagic - Thanks, and welcome! I just dropped myself in the deep-end with this entire project, but I think it's the best way to learn. Good luck with your own gamedev!

Update: I still want MM to have a more vacant stare, but this shows you the general direction we are going with the portraits. Thanks again for your feedback Smiley

JWK5
Level 9

A fool with a tool is an artist.

View Profile
« Reply #3595 on: September 19, 2016, 08:47:07 PM »

My Art Tutorials:
 Here

"Today is victory over yourself of yesterday, tomorrow is victory over lesser men." - Miyamoto Musashi
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3596 on: September 20, 2016, 08:01:15 PM »

Thx JWK, we appreciate the input. Smiley

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3597 on: September 21, 2016, 01:02:19 AM »

Good job, JWK!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3598 on: September 30, 2016, 10:07:57 PM »

Update: So much stuff done! Start and end placeholders are now in. All main characters are ready. Moonstones can be collected. etc.

Death and respawning now works properly. When you die there is a chance that you'll drop some of your stuff. This stuff appears as a 'stash' in the game, and only lasts for a limited time. If you die before you get your stuff back then it's lost forever. When you die you'll respawn at the nearest 'safe' position, which may be in a different region. For instance, if you die in the spider hive then you'll respawn back in the forest at the hive entrance. For the larger levels, you'll respawn near to your dropped stash in a safe location.

Quick travel via M can only be done if you're in a safe area, not on fire, not underwater, etc.

Particle effects for status have also been upgraded. Here is "heal", "poisoned", and "cursed":

Pixel_Squid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3599 on: October 01, 2016, 02:18:55 AM »

I've seen it for quite a while,but every time i see ths pixelart it still amazes me!
Pages: 1 ... 178 179 [180] 181 182 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic