Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411275 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 07:44:54 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1299901 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3660 on: February 18, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »

So in another 3 years? xD

Yep, the game will continue to be in development after release. The first release has 1/4 of the content I'd guess, so the next year or two will be heavy on adding content.

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: February 19, 2017, 01:42:50 AM »

This game is being written in C
A-ha! I was thinking of Spooky Pooky when I thought Moonman was written in C! Sorry! Tongue

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3662 on: February 19, 2017, 02:01:12 PM »

A-ha! I was thinking of Spooky Pooky when I thought Moonman was written in C! Sorry! Tongue

I don't know what Spooky Pooky is but it sounds amazing

oahda
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: February 19, 2017, 02:17:13 PM »

I don't know what Spooky Pooky is but it sounds amazing
D: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=42130.0

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3664 on: February 24, 2017, 07:09:14 PM »

Update: Lots of little bugfixes and tweaks this week. I updated Solomon's house and the castle and started cleaning up the Hive. Replaced old bat with dark moth. Also updated the debris/particle system, it now creates particles that are the same colours as the objects they come from. Here's the tweet thread explaining all that.

Here's what the hive is looking like..

And here are the debris particles that are spawned when objects get destroyed.

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: February 24, 2017, 09:00:04 PM »

Nice progress thus far! Let's race: we'll see if I can get a full demo out before you finish all of your content!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3666 on: February 24, 2017, 09:51:41 PM »

Nice progress thus far! Let's race: we'll see if I can get a full demo out before you finish all of your content!

OH HEY! Haven't seen you in a while. Looks like Key of Ethios is coming along great :D

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: February 24, 2017, 11:45:31 PM »

Thank'eh! You may not see me, but I'm always there... Alwaaaays watching.

...I'm just really bad at adding to any discussion meaningfully.
That planner system looks really cool- Very robust.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3668 on: March 01, 2017, 03:55:33 PM »

Thank'eh! You may not see me, but I'm always there... Alwaaaays watching.

:O And here I thought I was speaking into the void.

That planner system looks really cool- Very robust.

Thanks, yeah it's a fun aspect, like all things I just wish I had more time to make it good

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3669 on: March 03, 2017, 07:22:15 PM »

Update: Misc stuff
placeholders for all sfx are now in
added emote sounds to some animals
added dyslexic font support
fix: mobs get stuck sometimes, now game detects it and gives them a push
fix: spiders no longer get stuck
fix: smoothed walking transition from horizontal->diagonal
fix: breathe hole was badly placed for taller animals (meaning a horse could drown when in knee-high water)
fix: crafting bug
lots of work discussing sound effects
volume of sfx, etc is stored in user settings
fix: UI slider bug

I also ran a non-conference this week called #NotGDC. Check it out, there are a lot of interesting short talks and videos about various gamedev topics. Personal status: not much sleep this week, got a busy week next week, and moving into new office next Saturday.

BravoVictor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: March 03, 2017, 08:36:26 PM »

Eigenbom, are you still using sfml? If so, are you writing all your own code or using third party stuff?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3671 on: March 03, 2017, 09:00:07 PM »

Eigenbom, are you still using sfml? If so, are you writing all your own code or using third party stuff?

Yep I'm using SFML for windowing, input, sound, and graphics. Using Box2D for physics. All the rest is basically custom stuff.

BravoVictor
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: March 03, 2017, 10:27:33 PM »

That's impressive. You're quite the artisan.

Moonman looks great. Kudos!
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3673 on: March 04, 2017, 04:40:15 PM »

That's impressive. You're quite the artisan.

Moonman looks great. Kudos!

Hey thanks! Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3674 on: March 12, 2017, 05:25:37 PM »

Update:

Moved into a new office over the weekend, in a warehouse just north of the city. It's a small space that I now share with Alex, and a third dev named Max (who has worked on King Arthur's Gold and other games). Looking forward to getting back into the flow of work, but it always takes a few days to get settled in (and right now there's loud drilling noises because it's a public holiday and they are renovating this space). :moonman_closed:

Speech bubbles are now much better, text is properly centered, and bubble has a subtle popping in and out animation.

I've done a lot of work on the planner finally. It's all too much to go into but basically the system can now load and save world plans, write plans out to c++ code for the engine to use, show graphs, etc, and a lot of the hooks into the areas are done. This is all just framework stuff, the real design stuff is coming soon. Here's an example node from a plan: it tells the world generator to make a town, and put a house in it, with a blacksmith and a forge.

gantt
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3675 on: March 12, 2017, 05:40:34 PM »

I really like the design of this!

Founder & Chief @Bluword<br />Read the stories of game developers at Bluword
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3676 on: March 12, 2017, 05:40:54 PM »

I really like the design of this!

Thx Smiley

mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3677 on: March 12, 2017, 06:32:26 PM »

Planner stuff looks amazing Ben. I am envious of your design/programming skill in going to these lengths. Really inspiring and cool. I am approaching 4 years on my game and just sort of basically hate it now and just want to be done  Screamy. I am in awe of your 7 year plan and stamina and fortitude to see it through.  Coffee

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3678 on: March 12, 2017, 06:58:23 PM »

Planner stuff looks amazing Ben. I am envious of your design/programming skill in going to these lengths. Really inspiring and cool. I am approaching 4 years on my game and just sort of basically hate it now and just want to be done  Screamy. I am in awe of your 7 year plan and stamina and fortitude to see it through.  Coffee

Thanks dude. Yeah it's tough to keep going, but keep it up! Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3679 on: March 17, 2017, 06:47:27 PM »

Update: Moonman has a bunch of different base areas, like Cave, Tunnel, Forest, Mountain, Town, etc. The number, type, theme, and connections between these will eventually be fairly flexible, and some of them like Cave have a number of different forms already. To further push the feeling that the world is different, we're adding randomised names to each of the areas -- things like "Quiet Cave", "Forest of Stones", "Ben's House", etc. There are a number of steps to this:
Creating interesting words and part-words;
Figuring out how to combine them; and,
Giving some meaning to them, so they aren't just random labels.

To start off with Alex and I came up with a heap of different words, and we then figured out some basic ways to join them together, getting some examples like "Sacred Hill", "Ancient Grove", "Manic Icelands", and "Northland Fortress". Using this as a starting point, I then built a huge list of word parts and patterns. The patterns were of the form:
[The] <noun>                  examples: The Place, Cove, Tunnel
[The] <adj> <noun>            examples: Red Forest, The Last Mountain, Blue Valley      
<part-adj><part-noun>         examples: Highhorn, Skypeak

The The indicates an optional "The", and the <term> indicates a specific type of word. The words were put into a big spreadsheet, like this:

Each area has a specific set of patterns, for instance the forest supports 6 or so different patterns, whereas the smaller tunnels only support 2. We split the words into area-specific and general lists, for instance when generating The <adj> <noun> for a forest, the adjectives are taken a general adjective list and also a forest adjective list (the nouns are taken only from the forest nouns, shown above).

Each word also has optional tags, which will used to give some abstract sense of meaning to a name. For instance the place name "The Forest" will have the tags ~treeless and treedense, meaning that the name is NOT suitable for areas that are treeless, and it is very suitable for areas that have dense trees. Some other possible tags include snow, magic, cursed, etc.

The final part of that spreadsheet is the "Commonality" column, which just lets me indicate the weighting of a specific word. In this case "hill" is weighted much lower than the others so will be used more rarely.

The generation step is fairly straightforward: for each area and pattern all potential names are considered, the weights of the words are combined to give a final weighting for a place name, and the tags are combined together. Selecting a name is a process of weighted random selection, with place names being weighted further by the compatibility of their tags with the tags of the prospective area.

I implemented the generation step in Python, as I think that's the easiest tool to use for this kind of stuff. The script has a number of functions for generating the names, and a mode for inspecting the results. Here's some examples of names that can be generated (the area name is in the command line arguments):

You can also view the tags for names..

Or request the names for areas + tags...

There's also a mode that shows the individual weights of the parts. In the example below "Hill" has a weighting of 0.67 (the first column weights the optional "The" at the start of the name).

Once I had the generator running well and a decent collection of names being generated, there was the question of how to get them into the game. Moonman doesn't embed Python (or any scripting language), so the choice becomes: (a) rewrite the generator in c++, (b) pre-generate a big list of names and stick them in a data file. I went with the latter option, mainly for economy. So now there's an extra 1MB file in the data directory that contains about 20,000 pre-generated place names, along with their weights and tags. The game will read them at load-time, and then select an appropriate name from the list when a region/area is created.

Pages: 1 ... 182 183 [184] 185 186 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic