Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1291931 Posts in 57327 Topics- by 48360 Members - Latest Member: laingsoft

April 23, 2017, 03:42:45 pm

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsFeedbackDevLogsmoonman
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185]
Print
Author Topic: moonman  (Read 944248 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3680 on: March 12, 2017, 05:40:54 pm »

I really like the design of this!

Thx Smiley

MOONMAN devlog WWW FORUM
mirrorfish
Level 1

?!?! ... It's just a box.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3681 on: March 12, 2017, 06:32:26 pm »

Planner stuff looks amazing Ben. I am envious of your design/programming skill in going to these lengths. Really inspiring and cool. I am approaching 4 years on my game and just sort of basically hate it now and just want to be done  Screamy. I am in awe of your 7 year plan and stamina and fortitude to see it through.  Coffee

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3682 on: March 12, 2017, 06:58:23 pm »

Planner stuff looks amazing Ben. I am envious of your design/programming skill in going to these lengths. Really inspiring and cool. I am approaching 4 years on my game and just sort of basically hate it now and just want to be done  Screamy. I am in awe of your 7 year plan and stamina and fortitude to see it through.  Coffee

Thanks dude. Yeah it's tough to keep going, but keep it up! Smiley

MOONMAN devlog WWW FORUM
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3683 on: March 17, 2017, 06:47:27 pm »

Update: Moonman has a bunch of different base areas, like Cave, Tunnel, Forest, Mountain, Town, etc. The number, type, theme, and connections between these will eventually be fairly flexible, and some of them like Cave have a number of different forms already. To further push the feeling that the world is different, we're adding randomised names to each of the areas -- things like "Quiet Cave", "Forest of Stones", "Ben's House", etc. There are a number of steps to this:
Creating interesting words and part-words;
Figuring out how to combine them; and,
Giving some meaning to them, so they aren't just random labels.

To start off with Alex and I came up with a heap of different words, and we then figured out some basic ways to join them together, getting some examples like "Sacred Hill", "Ancient Grove", "Manic Icelands", and "Northland Fortress". Using this as a starting point, I then built a huge list of word parts and patterns. The patterns were of the form:
[The] <noun>                  examples: The Place, Cove, Tunnel
[The] <adj> <noun>            examples: Red Forest, The Last Mountain, Blue Valley      
<part-adj><part-noun>         examples: Highhorn, Skypeak

The The indicates an optional "The", and the <term> indicates a specific type of word. The words were put into a big spreadsheet, like this:

Each area has a specific set of patterns, for instance the forest supports 6 or so different patterns, whereas the smaller tunnels only support 2. We split the words into area-specific and general lists, for instance when generating The <adj> <noun> for a forest, the adjectives are taken a general adjective list and also a forest adjective list (the nouns are taken only from the forest nouns, shown above).

Each word also has optional tags, which will used to give some abstract sense of meaning to a name. For instance the place name "The Forest" will have the tags ~treeless and treedense, meaning that the name is NOT suitable for areas that are treeless, and it is very suitable for areas that have dense trees. Some other possible tags include snow, magic, cursed, etc.

The final part of that spreadsheet is the "Commonality" column, which just lets me indicate the weighting of a specific word. In this case "hill" is weighted much lower than the others so will be used more rarely.

The generation step is fairly straightforward: for each area and pattern all potential names are considered, the weights of the words are combined to give a final weighting for a place name, and the tags are combined together. Selecting a name is a process of weighted random selection, with place names being weighted further by the compatibility of their tags with the tags of the prospective area.

I implemented the generation step in Python, as I think that's the easiest tool to use for this kind of stuff. The script has a number of functions for generating the names, and a mode for inspecting the results. Here's some examples of names that can be generated (the area name is in the command line arguments):

You can also view the tags for names..

Or request the names for areas + tags...

There's also a mode that shows the individual weights of the parts. In the example below "Hill" has a weighting of 0.67 (the first column weights the optional "The" at the start of the name).

Once I had the generator running well and a decent collection of names being generated, there was the question of how to get them into the game. Moonman doesn't embed Python (or any scripting language), so the choice becomes: (a) rewrite the generator in c++, (b) pre-generate a big list of names and stick them in a data file. I went with the latter option, mainly for economy. So now there's an extra 1MB file in the data directory that contains about 20,000 pre-generated place names, along with their weights and tags. The game will read them at load-time, and then select an appropriate name from the list when a region/area is created.

MOONMAN devlog WWW FORUM
qMopey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: March 21, 2017, 10:58:35 am »

Will those things ever be localized? Seems like sort of a nightmare for localization  Cry
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3685 on: March 21, 2017, 02:26:10 pm »

Will those things ever be localized? Seems like sort of a nightmare for localization  Cry

Nope! If we localise the game the non-English versions will have simple place names and no dialogue. The good thing is that all that is purely decorative.

MOONMAN devlog WWW FORUM
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3686 on: March 23, 2017, 11:09:10 pm »

Update: We're crunching now, just hammering out all the things..
place names are now in-game
added alternative starting and castle areas
added alternative house set (wooden)
added additional theming/bgs/palettes for areas
added travel transition animation
improved moon graphics
mob sets: designed and implemented
more planner work

March is nearly over, ehk! Unlikely we'll have the beta out this month. But I'm happy with our progress and I think there aren't too many hurdles left.

Here's the travel transition:

MOONMAN devlog WWW FORUM
Prinsessa
Level 10

Ava Skoog

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3687 on: March 24, 2017, 02:28:29 am »

We
huuuh i thought it was only youuuu
who else?

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile Email
« Reply #3688 on: March 24, 2017, 02:44:43 am »

A man is never alone while the Moon shines down upon him.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
Shackhal
Level 9

Like a child with toys

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3689 on: March 24, 2017, 10:29:35 am »

Like an adventure that lies upon the horizon.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3690 on: March 24, 2017, 08:17:42 pm »

At the moment, there's me, Alex (who does art and things) and Andrew (who is doing the SFX).

Oh and the Moon of course, it's always there..

MOONMAN devlog WWW FORUM
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3691 on: March 26, 2017, 02:49:37 am »

Looking great and seems like you're progressing quite quickly with implementing things these days.

Like the fade to black for the travel transition and just curious on whether there'll also be animation for the character to move into the doorway?

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3692 on: March 26, 2017, 02:57:32 pm »

Looking great and seems like you're progressing quite quickly with implementing things these days.

Like the fade to black for the travel transition and just curious on whether there'll also be animation for the character to move into the doorway?

Thanks FG. Smiley No animation planned but I agree that would add a nice finishing touch.

MOONMAN devlog WWW FORUM
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3693 on: April 02, 2017, 11:28:40 pm »

Update: This week we went through most items and selected and organised the ones for the beta. A few final elements for the planner need to be done, alongside some important bug fixes, and then I hope we have a version for testing soon. Workshops can also appear out of town now..

MOONMAN devlog WWW FORUM
redplanet
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: April 03, 2017, 03:48:53 am »

Nice, reminds me of Super Mario World etc.

Have to keep reminding myself I've already bought this. Quite often see an update here or elsewhere and think "yeah that's cool, gotta buy that... oh wait".
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3695 on: April 03, 2017, 02:27:10 pm »

Nice, reminds me of Super Mario World etc.

Have to keep reminding myself I've already bought this. Quite often see an update here or elsewhere and think "yeah that's cool, gotta buy that... oh wait".

Thx yeah we've got a lot of backers and pre-orders, hoping to get beta out soon. Thx for supporting the game!

MOONMAN devlog WWW FORUM
KCoyote123
Level 0

Yas Cats

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3696 on: April 03, 2017, 11:17:36 pm »

awsome

- Kyle
Pages: 1 ... 183 184 [185]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic