Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411283 Posts in 69325 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 29, 2024, 03:25:19 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1300321 times)
delete me
Level 0

This account is very old, I don't use it.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 25, 2011, 09:54:41 AM »

mini-update

Seriously dude. How many jelly's are there? I've been watching this for 20 minutes.
Theophilus
« Reply #61 on: October 25, 2011, 10:01:03 AM »

Why did you post a 200gb gif man

there's a lot of jellies. and they just keep coming. that must be a huge image
DGH94
Level 0

Newbie Dev

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 25, 2011, 10:04:59 AM »

Just gotta say that I'm loving this. The art direction is really different yet cooler than possibly everything currently out there. Can't wait to see more.  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Check out my DevLog? What if I told you there was cake? (Not yet, well, maybe never, but cake is always enticing.)
delete me
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 26, 2011, 08:56:54 PM »

@DGH94
+1

@Theophilus
I think you just missed it, but a blue jelly just jumped by. I think it's 1:27:30~ into the animation or so.

Or maybe he's at home creating the jellies by hand and we're viewing this real time?

Hand Any KeyEvil "MOAR JELLIES!"
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: October 26, 2011, 10:18:45 PM »

Update: Today I worked a bit on the sprite engine. A sprite is a static image or animated sequence of images, specified with a simple Lua-based file format (see a few posts back). To make more complex objects I plan on connecting sprites together via anchors and pivots, for instance moonmans legs are a sprite anchored center-bottom with a pivot center-top which moonmans torso will anchor to. Here's a screeny of the sprite viewer I'm working on: the anchor and pivot points are the glowing pixels (white+pink). Moonman's legs, right-arm and torso are the last 3 sprites in the sequence. The walking moonman is just a single sprite, but is in the process of decomposition.

@xoorath, @theo pray to the jelly army, for they are legion BlinkBlinkBlink
@dgh cheers dude, i'm having a lot of fun with this style Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: October 27, 2011, 03:22:40 PM »

mini-mockup

DGH94
Level 0

Newbie Dev

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 27, 2011, 03:25:35 PM »

mini-mockup

Gray-bearded Abraham Lincoln with an AK-47?

Check out my DevLog? What if I told you there was cake? (Not yet, well, maybe never, but cake is always enticing.)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: October 27, 2011, 04:57:24 PM »

@DGH94 exactly! well except its not an ak, and moonman is wearing his magician costume, not his abe costume.. :D

Another update I did a little work on a jump animation, but it doesn't feel quite right to me. Any suggestions/comments?

Happy Shabby Games
Level 8

msmymo

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: October 27, 2011, 05:02:09 PM »

This guy is growing on me haha. I think it's that perpetual smile. The jump animation is fine but maybe bring down his torso a pixel or two when he lands to show more recoil. He is jumping pretty high.

DGH94
Level 0

Newbie Dev

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 27, 2011, 05:02:24 PM »

@DGH94 exactly! well except its not an ak, and moonman is wearing his magician costume, not his abe costume.. :D

Another update I did a little work on a jump animation, but it doesn't feel quite right to me. Any suggestions/comments?

I'm not an expert on animating, but in my eyes, the knees bending at the peak of the jump look off (as in, they should stay straight).

Other than that it looks good.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 27, 2011, 06:02:57 PM »

For a vertical/standing jump, his thighs should go more horizontal and the rest of his body should come down more. A running jump is another matter. I'd also slow it down by a frame or two, which would give you more time to get the legs right.
electrolyte
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 28, 2011, 12:59:09 AM »

This is great, I'm loving the animations and style of this. It's also interesting to hear how your combining sprites

To make more complex objects I plan on connecting sprites together via anchors and pivots, for instance moonmans legs are a sprite anchored center-bottom with a pivot center-top which moonmans torso will anchor to.

which is a similar technique I'm using. Great way of cutting down on bitmap memory and also sprite flexibility.

Following this, keep up the great work!  Grin

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: October 28, 2011, 08:08:44 PM »

Update: Worked on the sprite engine a bit more today. The two guys on the bottom right are constructed from sub-sprites via the anchors and pivots I was talking about before.

Anchors and pivots can both be animated, so e.g., there is a pivot on moonman's hand that a weapon or item can be anchored to. This is all stored in resource files, here's the one for moonman's right arm walk animation, each frame specifies where in the bitmap the frame is (x,y), the anchor points for that frame (ax,ay), and any pivot points (p0x,p0y,p1x,p1y,...)

Code:
sprite {
name = "moonman_rightarm_wlkr",
sprite_sheet = "entities/moonman/moonman_walkright_rightarm.png",
width = 5,
height = 9,
animated = true,
loop = true,
duration = 0.1,
pivots = 1,
frames = {
{x= 0,y= 0,ax= 0,ay= 1,p0x= 0,p0y = 8},
{x= 0,y= 9,ax= 0,ay= 2,p0x= 2,p0y = 8},
{x= 0,y=18,ax= 0,ay= 1,p0x= 3,p0y = 6},
{x= 0,y=27,ax= 1,ay= 0,p0x= 3,p0y = 6},
{x= 0,y=36,ax= 1,ay= 0,p0x= 3,p0y = 7},
{x= 0,y=45,ax= 1,ay= 1,p0x= 3,p0y = 7},
{x= 0,y=54,ax= 0,ay= 0,p0x= 1,p0y = 7},
{x= 0,y=63,ax= 0,ay= 1,p0x= 0,p0y = 8}
}
}

These are then collected into spritemaps, which contain all the possible animations of a single component, e.g., moonman's rightarm currently has three modes "face" (face forward), "facr" (face right), and "wlkr" (walk right). There are more to do: walk left, face left, shoot left/right, whack left/right, drink potion, etc..

Code:
sprite_map {
name = "moonman_rightarm",
modes = {
face = "moonman_rightarm_face",
facr = "moonman_rightarm_facr",
wlkr = "moonman_rightarm_wlkr"
}
}

These sprite_maps are then composited together into larger structures, via different templates. There will be templates for humanoids (legs,arms,head,torso,right arm,left arm,right item,left item,(hat?!)), simple creatures (body), machines (part1,part2,part3,...), etc. To instantiate a template, you make a resource file like so (where the components reference the sprite_maps you've already specified):

Code:
sprite_template {
name = "moonman_template",
type = core.sprite_types.humanoid,
components = {
head = "moonman_head",
tors = "moonman_torso",
rarm = "moonman_rightarm",
legs = "moonman_legs"
},
}

@electrolye Cheers, yeh I opted to go this route because I want the game to be easily modded -- adding a new weapon should only require a few sprites and a single scripts work.

@rek, @seasons, @dgh cheers for the feedback, I'll tackle the jump again sometime soon!

delete me
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 28, 2011, 08:29:23 PM »

Man, I've got to get brushed up on lua. Your lua scripts are far more intelligent than mine are.

Also:
*prays to the jelly overlords*
Beg

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: October 28, 2011, 08:37:12 PM »

@xoorath Check out PIL if you haven't already ... http://www.lua.org/pil/12.html

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 28, 2011, 10:54:55 PM »

2nd update today Demo of my composite sprites. The white rects are the bounding boxes of the individual sub-sprites, and the glowing points are the pivots and anchors. In the gif I switch between a few of the modes of the spritemaps, face, facr, wlkr, hbgr (hold big gun right), and I've also added weapon attachment points! Aw yeh, no one screws with Abe, he's got a hatchet ...

CK
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: October 29, 2011, 12:50:25 AM »

and you can place and delete blocks.

Enderman, the Game. Corny Laugh Corny Laugh

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: October 29, 2011, 06:46:39 PM »

update: more sprite gluing today. encountered an issue where a weapon's animation for walking needs to be offset (temporally) depending on which hand its in. screenie from my sprite editor of dual wielding:

@beef

namragog
« Reply #78 on: October 29, 2011, 06:49:23 PM »

This keeps getting better. How much VIOLENCE will there be?  Evil
saint11
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: October 29, 2011, 06:56:59 PM »

Man I love this style :D I'm not sure why but it reminds me of some commodore games, like little computer people.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic