Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 09:42:43 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1323200 times)
Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #740 on: June 03, 2012, 09:00:09 PM »

Yeh, currently moonman can chop anywhere, but limiting the chopping radius is definitely in my TODO list. Wink

Are you going to limit the radius within which clicking on a block is effective? Or will you be limiting the actual distance that the mouse cursor can be from moonman?

The second would be less frustrating but maybe that won't work with the rest of your interfaces, idk.

100% in favor of more animations.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #741 on: June 03, 2012, 09:33:13 PM »

@jmcmorris, thx for the tip Wink although can i recommend doing
Code:
if MAX_DIST*MAX_DIST> xd*xd+yd*yd then..
in future.. Smiley

@belimoth You'll be able to click anywhere on screen, in order to inspect things far away, select items from your inventory, use the menu, etc. and I think I'll change the cursor when you're able to use the currently wielded item on the block/target/thing under the cursor.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #742 on: June 03, 2012, 09:39:46 PM »

I like that.

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #743 on: June 03, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »

100% in favor of more animations.
Even if Ninja Dodo's artwork is really nice (like the motion in the pics), I would warn against too precise animations, because they take a lot of time.
I can get used to moonman not having any anim but if you do animations, then you have to do it for all blocks positions, and it seems a lot of work... If you can find generic animations...

Hmmm... Maybe he can throw his axe ?

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #744 on: June 03, 2012, 11:30:52 PM »

@jmcmorris, thx for the tip Wink although can i recommend doing
Code:
if MAX_DIST*MAX_DIST> xd*xd+yd*yd then..
in future.. Smiley

@belimoth You'll be able to click anywhere on screen, in order to inspect things far away, select items from your inventory, use the menu, etc. and I think I'll change the cursor when you're able to use the currently wielded item on the block/target/thing under the cursor.

Haha, sure if you are doing this calculation a lot then you can save a little by doing that. I only do it when the player clicks so the few extra instructions probably don't make that big of a difference. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #745 on: June 04, 2012, 12:04:30 AM »

@peous Yeh I don't plan on doing context sensitive animations like that, but I have built a mini component animation system, e.g., moonman himself is put together from a body, legs, arms, and head, each with their own animations, anchor points, etc. There are details somewhere in the previous 50 pages of this devlog.. Shocked

Update: inventory integrated back in, can drag,drop,merge,swap and renders blocks. hotbar fills first. can select and carry blocks. modified some block sprites slightly, reduced hue shift, added vines to world.

mokesmoe
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #746 on: June 04, 2012, 12:40:31 AM »

I like it!

(The new hue shift that is.)
Ashkin
« Reply #747 on: June 04, 2012, 01:50:17 AM »

Can't wait until the caves have lighting + glowing mushrooms + gold.
I mean um
 Who, Me?
peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #748 on: June 04, 2012, 04:23:27 AM »

nice caves, I hope you can slide on the slopes !

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #749 on: June 04, 2012, 02:10:58 PM »

mokesmoe - cheers Smiley

haha ashkin, well mm will eventually have bombs and laser guns too. how is subterrane going btw?

peous - aw no sliding, thats too tricky a manuveur for moonman..

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #750 on: June 04, 2012, 03:18:35 PM »

Those caves look amazing, the patterns remind me of H.R Giger's work for some reason.
wademcgillis
« Reply #751 on: June 04, 2012, 04:03:34 PM »

Moonman (Loves You) better be the name of the game.
Ashkin
« Reply #752 on: June 04, 2012, 08:20:40 PM »

how is subterrane going btw?

like a corpse Cool
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #753 on: June 05, 2012, 12:33:30 AM »

@cd cheers, also i'm a big hr giger fan Smiley
@wade Ha, yeh I'm cycling through different (messages) in the parentheses

Update: slopes orient based on direction, block place makes a sound, inventory/hotbar icons made bigger, moonman starts with a bunch of items, moonman inventory reduced to 50, place blocks with RIGHT MOUSE now. minor bugfixes, itemmanager handles item info, spawn axes, swords, and potions into the world on startup, change held item on inventory swap, change held item on click hotbar.

Here's a gif (clicky) of the inventory system and block placing in action. The colours are a bit messed up due to the gif compression. :S

click to gif

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #754 on: June 05, 2012, 10:28:13 PM »

Update: decided to give the lighting system another go. working on a parallel implementation of lighting that acts on subchunks. in early stages. ugly blending but you can see it sort of works.. Smiley

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #755 on: June 06, 2012, 01:43:06 AM »

Doing some mockups of different lighting thingimajigs.. i think i prefer (B), but i'm not sure..

Claw
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #756 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:16 AM »

I just wrote some crap about B being my favourite but could do with a blend between the last colour and black - then I realised my monitor was tilted and had sun on it so I just couldn't see the darkest grey Tongue

B is my fav too, looks goooood - love the tile patterns too  Coffee

peous
Level 2

Indie opportunist

View Profile
« Reply #757 on: June 06, 2012, 03:22:47 AM »

you style is definitely blocky, so (B) matchs better and makes the game different from Terraria or so

Common Kingfisher
Level 0

Sup dudes

View Profile
« Reply #758 on: June 06, 2012, 08:11:17 AM »

Every game that lists Dwarf Fortress as one of its inspiration is a game to watch out for in my book Gentleman I also like the art style. Very Knytt-ish Grin

And I would have to side with Claw and peous : B looks much better

Edit : Wait a minute, there's a C and a D ? How come I didn't saw them on my computer ? o_O Well, in that case I'll have to settle for C instead. Maybe D but it's not blocky enough.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 08:59:01 AM by Common Kingfisher » Logged

The greatest game is a social life, it is just too hardcore for
many players who struggle with its control scheme and don't like
grinding for experience.
namragog
« Reply #759 on: June 06, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »

Definitely C!
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic