Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69371 Topics- by 58428 Members - Latest Member: shelton786

April 25, 2024, 04:44:30 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1322549 times)
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2011, 02:57:40 PM »

@namragog 30% violence, 20% good old fashioned ultra-violence, 30% exploration, and 20% mathematicians
@saint11 Thx. I grew up with the C64, good memories! My first program was written on one ... skip forward 25 years or so and it seems I'm finally making my first non-trivial game. Better late than never!
Shrug

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2011, 09:47:53 PM »

ahaha I like this graphic style, good job  Hand Thumbs Up Right

HEY THERE'S A BLUE JELLY IF YOU KEEP LOOKING!

Also:
*prays to the jelly overlords*
Beg

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2011, 10:41:00 PM »

@gimmy cheers! and u get a cookie for spotting old bluey!

update: not really! i had to work all day today. Sad looking forward to integrating a minimal gui into my sprite engine to support more advanced functionality, will check out http://www.sfml-dev.org/wiki/en/projects/cpgui as it seems the simplest for sfml 1.6 (compared to gwen, guichan, cegui, ...)

life log: played a game of heroes vi last night with my brother (hotseat), and it took about 5 hours for one game. mostly because we didn't realise how to win the scenario. :D

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: October 31, 2011, 05:04:04 PM »

mini-update: melbourne cup today, so chillaxing, but did have time to do a mockup of some block destruction animations ... preferences/comments/crits? I think I prefer the 2nd one as it is simpler, and I'll probably cut down the number of particles by half. The exploding pumpkin animation is my Halloween present to tig. Smiley

moonmagic
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: October 31, 2011, 07:52:47 PM »

I don't know how I missed this! This looks positively delightful.

Facial expressions + swagger walk + weapons! Joy!

|
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: October 31, 2011, 09:08:16 PM »

Love the block destruction. Great animation. Would have to agree that the second one is my favourite, obviously besides the exploding pumpkin.

And guess i should have put some money on Dunaden.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: November 01, 2011, 10:50:29 PM »

thx peeps. and yeh @franklinsghost, i backed precedence and obviously lost too. Sad

Plan: I'm back to working on moonman again tomorrow. (I only work part-time which means I work half a week on my

for my research, and then half a week on moonman.) Sooo the plan for the next two days is to work more on the humanoid template for the entity and sprite systems, which will enable me to easily add new creatures which can walk, jump, chop, carry items, etc. Some concrete milestones to hold me to:
1. Moonman is walking around and jumping.
2. Another creature is walking around and jumping.
3. Moonman is able to hold a thing and have a basic inventory.
4. Moonman is able to swing a pickaxe or buckle a swash.
Hopefully I'll get them all done over the next days. I'm really looking forward to finishing this part, so I can move on to the lighting system and get some drama happening!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2011, 12:31:15 AM »

My homage to Moon - one of the best movies released this decade, and one of the best movie posters ever

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2011, 01:10:03 AM »

Love the movie poster,. Great homage of a great movie poster.

Also looking forward to seeing the next stages in action.

BadgerManufactureInc
« Reply #89 on: November 02, 2011, 01:17:54 AM »

My homage to Moon - one of the best movies released this decade, and one of the best movie posters ever

Great movie!

Also, I wanted to thank you for the explanation of the collision system. 

I have made my own pixel level collision system recently using hand drawn images for maps.  My slope system involved checking every pixel to the sides of each sprite and blocking only if there is more than a certain height difference. 

Are all the slopes in Moonman at 45°?  I really can't wait to play this.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2011, 01:32:32 AM »

@barnaby np! A pixel level routine like you described would've worked for moonman too. i haven't tested my system on a large number of entities, but if it ends up being too slow, i'll definitely be looking at an image space method. :D

I'm only going to have 45degree slopes, full blocks and half blocks. A tricky thing I'm not looking forward to is modelling water flow down slopes in a way that looks physically plausible ... anyways, the rest of the pinot calls, time to drown out the voices in my head Addicted

kamac
Level 10

Notoriously edits his posts

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2011, 05:34:27 AM »

I really can't wait to play this.

Me too  Smiley

Looks really nice  Cheesy

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: November 03, 2011, 05:42:01 PM »

Fun-fun-fun-fun looking forward to the wee-eek-end. Addicted

Implementing my sprite thingo led to one thing that led to another, and now I'm working on general resource loading/management ... whoops won't reach those milestones today ... this may take a while.

negativeview
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2011, 03:08:06 PM »

I've spent a very very long time tweaking some water flow routines. They were never designed to be general purpose, but I could probably share some pointers if you wanted.

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »

@negativeview Yeh sure. My model will probably be very ad hoc, but I'm interested in what you've learnt. 

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: November 05, 2011, 08:59:02 PM »

update: more thinking about resource management. back to coding on wednesday.

██████
████████
██████
████████
████████
████████
████████
 ██████

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 05, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »

Almost perfect!
Left arm right leg,
right arm left leg.
 Smiley
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2011, 11:08:50 PM »

Update:

I've been working on the resource managers the last couple of days. The basic idea of the ResourceManager in moonman is that it:
- provides a centralised abstraction to load and access resources (game data that corresponds to a file on disk, like an image, sound, shader spec, etc.)
- provides an ID/handle system for referencing of resources, and
- can watch the filesystem for changes in resources, reloads them and notifies all dependent resource managers.

This was inspired by the articles:
- Stay in the Game: Asset Hotloading for Fast Iteration. Noel Llopis and Charles Nicholson (Game Programming Gems 6)
- The Beauty of Weak References and Null Objects. Noel Llopis (GPG4)

So far, I've got image hotloading working, which means you can edit a sprite in GIMP, save it, then see the results immediately update in-game. This will hopefully make it easier to test and edit the artwork in the context of the game (with shaders applied etc.)

I also have script hotloading sort of working. This was a little trickier because:
- there is a many-to-one correspondence between scripts and files
- there is a dependence between scripts and resources
Nonetheless, I think I've got the core design down, and just need to iron out a few bugs here and there.

I also updated SFML from v1.6 to v2, which was actually pretty easy. The only changes were to rename sf::Image to sf::Texture, and change a couple of function names. I also checked out SFGUI which seems like a nice little gui, which I may use for my minimal in-game gui, console, and in some of the tools.

In more exciting news, Moonman development will pick up quite a bit in the next month or two as I'm likely to have another programmer working on it with me. I have also been talking with a musician friend and we've got some interesting ideas about the soundscapes and coupling between game events and the sound. Though that stuff will be left for a few months or so.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2011, 09:11:25 AM »

If you tilt your screen it looks like he's hopping along on one leg.

delete me
Level 0

This account is very old, I don't use it.

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2011, 03:29:44 PM »

AH! Hahaha. It does too.
I like it.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic