Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411423 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 18, 2024, 09:42:44 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMoonQuest
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 189
Print
Author Topic: MoonQuest  (Read 1319698 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #820 on: July 10, 2012, 12:02:37 AM »

Huh.
I liked the previous one better (wonder why, heh.), but that seems to make more sense with moonman's flat style.

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #821 on: July 10, 2012, 06:32:56 AM »

Update: Did a few adjustments to the lighting.

MUCH better! All the shading was making everything so busy and dark.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #822 on: July 10, 2012, 07:52:43 PM »

Yeh I'm really struggling with the lighting, here's some more pics. There's always some situations where the lighting looks a bit funny, but I think I'll finish this up next week and then move on to more interesting world generation, adding block types, etc. I can always come back to it later.

jmcmorris
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #823 on: July 10, 2012, 08:25:48 PM »

Nice lighting. What was the reason for simplifying the shadows? It looks like there are less steps to pure darkness. Lighting is definitely a tricky beast. Good luck with it!

eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #824 on: July 10, 2012, 08:35:26 PM »

I didn't like having multiple parallel bands of shading, it made it look a bit 3d I guess. And I'm trying, trying to adhere to a minimalist aesthetic, whether I'm succeeding or not, I don't know .. :| And thx!

sk2k
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #825 on: July 10, 2012, 09:11:05 PM »

Oh, i like to look of that game. Somehow the graphic style reminds me of the old game Below the Root.

Can't wait to try it. Smiley
happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #826 on: July 10, 2012, 11:15:31 PM »

I think I prefer it without the lighting.  Shrug
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #827 on: July 11, 2012, 01:44:39 AM »

Is that lighting of a kind of "fog of war"? If it is a "fog of war", you'd better make that possible to remove entirely by exploring. Hand Shake LeftApoplectic

I have an OCD that makes me want to remove every single bit of black spots from the map. I hate it when I can't.

Yeah.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #828 on: July 11, 2012, 02:08:23 AM »

Is that lighting of a kind of "fog of war"? If it is a "fog of war", you'd better make that possible to remove entirely by exploring. Hand Shake LeftApoplectic

It's just lighting at the moment, it's not based on what is visible, but rather the shortest distance of a block to an empty 'light' block.

I have an OCD that makes me want to remove every single bit of black spots from the map. I hate it when I can't.

Cheesy I know what you mean.

@happymonster, I prefer no lighting when moonman is above ground, and lighting when he is below ground. But I can't resolve this inconsistency.

Belimoth
Level 10

high-heeled cyberbully

View Profile
« Reply #829 on: July 11, 2012, 02:24:30 AM »

Player-placed blocks are always lit? Some scenarios have lighting and some don't? Differentiate between natural and artificial light to seperate above- and below-ground regions?

rek
Level 7

View Profile
« Reply #830 on: July 11, 2012, 06:45:30 AM »

Yeh I'm really struggling with the lighting, here's some more pics. There's always some situations where the lighting looks a bit funny, but I think I'll finish this up next week and then move on to more interesting world generation, adding block types, etc. I can always come back to it later.

That looks pretty hinky, but fixable. Maybe slightly randomize (by a block or two) how deep light penetrates, and don't draw shadows for areas less than X blocks wide... Anyway, you'll find a solution.
Ocid
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #831 on: July 11, 2012, 01:42:48 PM »

I think the more simplified lighting looks best for what you've shown but I might also be with happymonster on this one in that I like it aswell without the lighting.
GCshepard
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #832 on: July 12, 2012, 02:18:35 PM »

I'd say try having the lighting levels decrease twice as fast on the foreground. That would get rid of the problem that I see most in the castle screenshot.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #833 on: July 12, 2012, 05:23:58 PM »

@belimoth, some good ideas, thx!

the for the comments guys, the image I showed is probably one of the worser case scenarios, @rek randomising the energy attenuation is a good idea, and would break up the straight lines at least.

@gcshepard, doing that would produce a similar result for castles with thinner walls.

happymonster
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #834 on: July 13, 2012, 02:58:08 PM »

For the lighting, I'd say it works better with the inter-block shading rather than the whole block approach. It looks a tricky problem though..
sergiocornaga
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #835 on: July 13, 2012, 11:04:57 PM »

Your terrain has diagonals, have you considered that your shadows might need them too?
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #836 on: July 15, 2012, 06:40:07 PM »

@sergio - yeh i have! Smiley

Update: playing with some different 16x16 block situations to look at the lighting..

Thecoolestnerdguy
Level 2

while(!succeed) try();

View Profile
« Reply #837 on: July 17, 2012, 01:04:20 PM »

Very nice game, you're developing something solid here. I can't wait to put my hands on it ( Beg launch an alpha version!).
I vote in:

- Smart NPCs (able to build, fight, etc..)
- Castles/Dungeons
And HOUSELEGSSSSSS  Cheesy

The ilumination is nice for me, just need some bugfixes, don't worry to much about that.
And the art it's great, so minimalist, chunky, blocky, retro.(I say that because I don't have an artist vision to say something it's wrong with your art).
I hope it will feature awesome chiptune music.
Also, from now I will follow your amazing devlog!

Sad minecraft didnt copyright squares
eyeliner
Level 10

I'm afraid of americans...

View Profile
« Reply #838 on: July 17, 2012, 02:35:55 PM »

Will we hear the nature?

Yeah.
eigenbom
Level 10

@eigenbom

View Profile WWW
« Reply #839 on: July 17, 2012, 02:42:41 PM »

@thecoolestnerdguy, i'm working on an alpha atm, i'm glad you like the look of the game so far Smiley

@eyeliner You mean the birds and the bees? Actually I really look forward to bringing the world alive with sound, but haven't really thought about sound yet.

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 189
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic