Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411415 Posts in 69361 Topics- by 58415 Members - Latest Member: sophi_26

April 16, 2024, 03:06:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMegabyte Punch - The customizable electro fighting game
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Megabyte Punch - The customizable electro fighting game  (Read 16687 times)
Dion
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2011, 07:42:26 AM »

Megabyte Punch

It's been a real joy making this game. I'm quite happy we were able to do this much with just the two of us (and only using the free version of Unity even). It's truly been one of the most educative periods of our life. Of course, our duty to to bring this game out into world doesn't end here, as we move on from making to promoting. Our top priority right now is getting the game on Steam via Steam Greenlight. I hope lots and lots of people can enjoy playing it, so please share it with anyone you can!

Visit our Greenlight page here, and vote for us maybe yes no?

Get the game on Windows, Mac and Linux!
Also on Desura!

The Old Trailers are still badass:

Alpha trailer

The web demo of the game:

How it all started:

Me and Tim are making a game called Megabyte Punch. It's a customizable electro fighting game! Or in words that are slightly different, it's an adventure/fighting game hybrid with an electro style. You can smack guys, attach their parts and get their abilities!

It goes a little something like this: Every creature in the game world is made up of separate parts. Parts have their own powers and bonuses (like a rocket legs for an extra jump) and you can attach them to yourself freely. You travel through different environments, search and dig for parts and battle other creatures for theirs. This is the adventure mode.

Then there is the fight mode. Here you can fight other players in an destructible arena in a way similar to the Super Smash Bros. series with the abilities your customized creature gives you.

That's the introduction. Now, I'll be keeping a devlog here if I may. It might still take some months to finish, but I can assure you that this project will be completed! Also, if you happen to be interested in technical stuff, solutions and inner workings as well, I'll be jamming over at dionbyte.wordpress.com.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 02:20:36 PM by Dion » Logged

Making Megabyte Punch, a customizable electro-adventure/fighting game.

Reptile

@RPT_Dion
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2011, 08:18:11 AM »

I whole-heartedly support this idea. Onward!
Chris Pavia
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2011, 09:05:05 AM »

Very promising start! the levels feel a bit too claustrophobic to me, given the scale of the characters and how far the player can jump.
Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2011, 09:38:07 AM »

Jumping seems to have an odd delay on it, and I think it'd work better if it was assigned to W, as you don't seem to be using that for anything else.

I really like the idea, though, and I think you have a lot of potential here! Special moves and stuff would add to it a lot (right mouse button, perhaps? Scroll wheel goes through options?)
Dion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2011, 10:42:04 AM »

Thanks a lot for the encouragement people!

the levels feel a bit too claustrophobic to me, given the scale of the characters and how far the player can jump.
You have a point there. Luckily this can be fixed quite easily.

Special moves and stuff would add to it a lot (right mouse button, perhaps? Scroll wheel goes through options?)
Very much agreed, special moves will also be a big motivator to hunt for specific parts (like powerful cards in a deck). I was thinking that I could tie them to a 'special' button together with a directional button, because the scroll wheel might be too inaccurate to use competitively. It worked for Super Smash anyway!

Reptile

@RPT_Dion
Dion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2011, 11:23:49 AM »

+ Added a full tileset of blocks
+ Added tilted corner blocks
+ Added neutral air attack
+ Added back air attack
+ Added up air attack
+ Added down ground attack
+ Added dash ability on 'n' or right mouse button (this is going to be on a specific part later on)
+ Added shield piercing (stabs)
+ Added shield break stun when your shield is run out or pierced
~ Hitlag of the attacker when hitting a shield is now doubled to give an extra advantage to shielding
~ Button presses are remembered during hitlag now, meaning attack strings continue easier
~ Changed the walljump from the jump button to a tap in the other direction

Some things are itchy (like the tilted corners), I'm going to work on that as soon as I know how I can work on it.

Take a look at dionbyte.wordpress.com to see as to why it took a while for new updates to appear. Aaaaand dionkoster.com/megabytepunch/ to play the newest build. A good day to you sir!
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:25:30 AM by Dion » Logged

Reptile

@RPT_Dion
Chris Pavia
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2011, 12:02:43 PM »

I'm happy to see you're making progress on this, can't wait to get home from work and give it a whirl.
Dion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2011, 03:21:59 AM »

Lots of new stuff! Let me comment on some. First of all, the controls. Move with WASD, attack with 'b' and do a special move with 'n' (or your left and right mouse button). These special moves can be found on parts. You can have up to 4 of them and you can switch between them with 1 2 3 4.

Ability slots left, damage and lives right. A work in progress of course.

Shielding is now on 'e' and shield pierce (or stab) is on 'q'. Parts are picked up with 'r', hold it down to have the attachment interface pop up. Speaking of parts, there are now actually some parts to collect! Some sets you can only get from enemies, others from treasure chests.

Play at:
http://dionkoster.com/megabytepunch/

Ma blawg at:
https://dionbyte.wordpress.com/

List of Changes:
+ Added a new default set of parts
+ Added new legs, arms and head for the standard enemy
+ Added three full sets of parts to collect (slasher, blacksmith and boxer)
+ Added an ability switch to allow use of up to 4 different abilities
+ Added a new enemy (slasher) in adventure mode
+ Added the stab on 'q'
+ Added a slice ability
+ Added a teleport ability
+ Added stats to certain parts
+ Added some jump effects
+ Plants!
+ Added player indicators in the GUI and on the player at the start of a match
~ Moving is now only done with WASD
~ changed the shield to 'e' and picking parts up is now done with 'r'
~ Changed the ingame HUD
~ Hitboxes with more damage now have priority over weaker ones, equal hitboxes will cancel eachother out
* Numerous small fixes
« Last Edit: November 11, 2011, 03:27:14 AM by Dion » Logged

Reptile

@RPT_Dion
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 07:17:55 AM »

This is really coming along great, really enjoying playing a quick game of seeing what i can build and what abilities I'm able to discover. Great job.

Sam English
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2011, 07:25:37 AM »

Oooooooo, Scyther!

This is looking so cool, Dion. Keep up the fantastic work!
Dion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »

Time for some new stuff!

Play here:
dionkoster.com/megabytepunch/

Just scroll down for the controls. Remember to play in fullscreen with F11. I also really recommend playing this with a XBox360 controller and a friend.

The game now saves your attached parts every time you pass through a door or choose the ‘save and quit’ option in the pause menu (escape button). There’s also a brand spankin’ new inventory and attachment interface. It’s inspired by the item selection system of the newer Legend of Zelda games, and it really makes things a lot easier and faster!

Open it up with ‘R’. You can drop a part with the right mouse button and attach with the left button. The inventory is emptied every new level, so be sure to attach stuff you want to keep. These parts will eventually be transferred to your collection, which you will be able to access in a workshop.

There’s also a new arena level. Check it.

List of changes:
+ Added the saving of player builds
+ Added an inventory
+ Added new attachment interface
+ Added auto-picking up parts
+ Added new fighting arena
~ Changed/added various level graphics

...Dutch TIGers in the house?

Reptile

@RPT_Dion
Superb Joe
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 09:28:15 AM »

please make some racist robopiets
jazeker
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 10:25:35 AM »

haha Sinterklaas Grin
en het ziet er sowieso goed uit! / and it looks good either!
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2011, 11:02:52 AM »

I hadn't heard of this until looking at it now, and I would REALLY like to see it made. It looks pretty sharp, and customizing your character sounds fun as all get out.

XRA
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2011, 09:45:40 PM »

this is awesome, super responsive punchiness!  Then I was fighting and saw the level being destroyed too!  Epileptic  I like the little details in the jump shockwave, also sending enemies flying when they die (occasionally?)

Dion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 02:59:36 AM »

I hadn't heard of this until looking at it now, and I would REALLY like to see it made. It looks pretty sharp, and customizing your character sounds fun as all get out.
this is awesome, super responsive punchiness!  Then I was fighting and saw the level being destroyed too!  Epileptic  I like the little details in the jump shockwave, also sending enemies flying when they die (occasionally?)

Thanks! Wadda know, I would also like to see it made!
About the enemies, this game doesn't use health. It uses damage. The more you have the harder you are sent flying. Once you reach a critical velocity and hit a wall, you blow up (on higher velocities you'll even break through walls, Dragonball Z style). We do still need lots of feedback to make this clear though.

Reptile

@RPT_Dion
Sir Raptor
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2011, 04:38:01 PM »

I think the primary issue is that at times, I'm not sure exactly what I'm doing. It would help if maybe two things were added:
1. The minor spider robot pieces tend to clog up my inventory quickly; maybe allow the player to press down to pick up pieces.
2. Some sort of indicator as to which pieces give you special abilities or something.
Otherwise, all cool.
Taugeshtu
Level 2

Semi-dormant.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 02:14:05 AM »

I'm asking for one thing: turn player with mouse pointer/gamepad sticks.
Except this (and the fact that at any zoomed out screen game noticable slows down - do you compound tiles into single surface mesh?) - everything seems to be fine)
Oh, and make description to parts! I was quite suprised when I found out that with this GODDAMNBIG cyan fist I deal more damage that with spider's hand

Also, spider's head and it's teleportation ability is great ^_^

We LOVE you. We MADE you.
Dion
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 06:44:28 AM »

1. The minor spider robot pieces tend to clog up my inventory quickly; maybe allow the player to press down to pick up pieces.
2. Some sort of indicator as to which pieces give you special abilities or something.
Otherwise, all cool.

These are good points, I did already think of some solutions (but have been neglecting them in favor of more important features).
1. Parts of the same kind should stack, saving a lot of space.
2. This is actually planned, ability (and bonus stats) icons are going to pop up when selecting a part in the inventory and the icon will also give some visual when attached.

I'm going to begin work on the workshop pretty soon too, for a more comfortable body tweaking environment.

I'm asking for one thing: turn player with mouse pointer/gamepad sticks.
Except this (and the fact that at any zoomed out screen game noticable slows down - do you compound tiles into single surface mesh?) - everything seems to be fine)
Oh, and make description to parts! I was quite suprised when I found out that with this GODDAMNBIG cyan fist I deal more damage that with spider's hand

Also, spider's head and it's teleportation ability is great ^_^

Firstly, I'm very impressed that you found that extra damage on the big fists! I use the zoom mainly for debug purposes, it's not going to go that far eventually. With some tiles being complex meshes and also destructible, I think it's better to not bother with making it a single mesh. And I'm not too sure about the mouse pointer turn though... maybe as an option.

Your responses are very much appreciated!

As for my current focus, I'm now working on making different levels and rooms. Like hub->level1a->level1b->level1c->level1Boss->level2a->etc. including different enemies, treasures, visuals per level. It really needs to be more of a game, so I'm excited!

Reptile

@RPT_Dion
baconman
Level 10

Design Guru

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2011, 05:51:08 AM »

So far this is really effin' cool. A little fine tuning and this'll be a total blast!

Couple things that may prove helpful:

Have some blocks/surfaces be indestructible (except maybe to particular power sets); especially the surface right below the exit door. It's possible to destroy that block and then you're stuck with no way to exit your level. (I've tried "jump exiting," it doesn't seem to work.)

Make "combat attacks" distinctly different moves from "terrain destruction." Sure, you can have the treasure blocks respond to both of them, but nothing quite sucks like defeating a guarding enemy by low-attacking them, accidentally destroying your exit's support block.

Slopes are there, and they are nice - but tuning the movement on them will work wonders. So far they don't appear to be registering on hit detection at all (unless maybe it's just the base of them), and I've had to jump up them the whole time.

Make parts drops a bit more uncommon. It's way easy to accumulate a whole freaking lot of parts very quickly, and sorting/navigating them seems to be a bit of a pain (maybe I'm just not doing it right?).

The controls and the character/level designs seem to be this title's strongest points, so let them shine! Smiley I look forward to what becomes of this title, and to see what interesting twists you put on your "Adventure Mode."

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic