Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411492 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 07:55:06 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)TutorialsLooking for an audio producing software
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Looking for an audio producing software  (Read 4257 times)
paladin_t
« on: October 09, 2011, 09:24:55 PM »

Hi, tigers! I'm a coder. Recently I'm working on an indie-game all by myself, but I've never produced any audio before. Do you guys know any easy to use audio software for a laypeople to produce basic resources? Even simple MIDI is nice. Any suggestions?
 Who, Me?
Jawnsunn
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2011, 02:23:52 PM »

If you need sound effects then use SFXR.
For music, trackers like Famitracker, TFM Music Maker, and Milkytracker are good programs. They are hard to get a hang of, but there are good tutorials out on the internet they will help get you started.
paladin_t
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 08:11:06 AM »

If you need sound effects then use SFXR.
For music, trackers like Famitracker, TFM Music Maker, and Milkytracker are good programs. They are hard to get a hang of, but there are good tutorials out on the internet they will help get you started.

It looks nice! Thanks! I'll check these out.
Serapth
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 01:12:24 PM »

As silly as this suggestion sounds, Garage Band for the iPad is deceptively powerful and wickedly easy to use.  I mean, some of the automatically generated songs are superior to many game soundtracks I've heard!
Theophilus
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 05:07:36 PM »

Pxtone is great. Musagi is good, too, a lot more control than pxtone.

By the way, dood, your avatar is about twice the size it ought to be. I feel smaller than you.
paladin_t
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »

As silly as this suggestion sounds, Garage Band for the iPad is deceptively powerful and wickedly easy to use.  I mean, some of the automatically generated songs are superior to many game soundtracks I've heard!
Thank you. But before I'd check it out, I'll get an iPad someday.

Pxtone is great. Musagi is good, too, a lot more control than pxtone.

By the way, dood, your avatar is about twice the size it ought to be. I feel smaller than you.
Looks interesting. I'll try them.
About my avatar, I was the mean.  Mock Anger
Nix
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 05:53:43 PM »

Ableton Live, FL Studio, Sony ACID, Reason
Halcyon
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 06:13:59 PM »

All the above DAW's cost a decent amount of money for a license though. They are also full audio work stations that you may not need half the features for if you want to do very basic stuff (like 'chiptunes'). Though if you are looking for a full featured DAW you should try out Reaper, it is just as good as any of the aforementioned programs at a fraction of the price.
CowBoyDan
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 07:51:15 PM »

FL Studio offers free upgrades now, its windows only but they are currently doing a beta for os x.  You can try everything out and save, but you cannot load files until you get a license key file.  Fairly low on the DRM scale.  (can't compare to others don't know, just a happy fl studio customer, and also a coder background not audio)
Nix
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 08:59:10 PM »

All the above DAW's cost a decent amount of money for a license though. They are also full audio work stations that you may not need half the features for if you want to do very basic stuff (like 'chiptunes'). Though if you are looking for a full featured DAW you should try out Reaper, it is just as good as any of the aforementioned programs at a fraction of the price.

Dont forget that they are all pirate-able. Dont pirate Reaper though. Those guys seem cool.
BubblePipeMedia
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 09:45:48 PM »

Better yet, just get yourself a composer! *wink wink, nudge nudge*

There are plenty of composers out there who are looking for beginner work, and they'll probably (hopefully) get you a better sound that you tinkering with a DAW for the first time. Though, as Serapth mentioned, Garageband can be strangely powerful and I've heard some great amateur work before. If you check out lots of free vsts and vstis Reaper can get you far too, from what I hear.

If you're looking to start doing this professionally, I'd consider a good all-in-one starter DAW, such as Logic Studio (what I use) or Sonar (I've heard good things about it's comprehensive AIO package). Sure they cost a little bit, but are an amazing value.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 04:45:21 AM »

A free DAW would be LMMS. A free (decent) tracker would be SunVox. I suggest checking them out before settling on anything.
pelle
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2011, 11:14:26 AM »

Renoise (tracker/daw)
Energy XT

Both are cheap, small, multiplatform, lots of features without feeling crowded, no-drm... I bought both.
droqen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 06:38:16 PM »

musagi musagi musagi

musagi musagi musagi <3

paladin_t
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »

Thank you all guys. I found sfxr for SFX and famitracker for BGM are nice.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic