Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411278 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 01:00:47 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsDwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 53
Print
Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress meets The Outer Wilds? "Ultima Ratio Regum", v0.10.1 out Feb 2023  (Read 176668 times)
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

Game Studies Lecturer, "Ultima Ratio Regum" person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #940 on: July 27, 2021, 05:48:36 AM »

If you ever have to make printed material for your students you should totally turn this into a cover series Grin

Haha, now that's an excellent idea!

a-k-
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #941 on: July 27, 2021, 02:36:49 PM »

I like the consistency that you're achiving in your designs, both in individual items and across item types! How many "atomic" visual elements do you use for that?

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #942 on: July 28, 2021, 12:56:27 AM »

I like the consistency that you're achiving in your designs, both in individual items and across item types! How many "atomic" visual elements do you use for that?

Thank you! For these we have, let's see, a range of widths and heights, thicknesses of the text, page colours, how the pages look, various colour schemes for the sidebar which differ in appearance also whether the book hails from a nomadic or a feudal nation, then loads of archetypes (religious book, cult book, philosophy, novel, history, biography, record of deaths, etc) each of which has a different algorithm for generating the cover, and all of those algorithms have huge numbers of images that can be manipulated in various ways, and the book covers are different, and some books get bookmarks / a line on the spine depending on the culture of the nation that generated them... and I think that about covers it!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #943 on: August 04, 2021, 05:52:02 PM »

Procedural shields!

Schrompf
Level 9

C++ professional, game dev sparetime

View Profile WWW
« Reply #944 on: August 04, 2021, 11:17:51 PM »

Something I never expected in ProcGen. Cool!

Snake World, multiplayer worm eats stuff and grows DevLog
a-k-
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #945 on: August 08, 2021, 10:59:14 AM »

I've played it a little with Wine. Quite impressive. A few comments:
- Loading times were long (probably Wine-related, e.g. if you make lots of unbuffered reads; saving and offloading were fast, though)
- Encyclopedia doesn't select the topic where you left off (could help esp. with Controls). Also applicable to Options.
- No conversation history? I happened to select a culture with 6-syllable names that all looked similar to each other, couldn't remember who I'd already talked with.
- I'm not familiar with the genre, but why is Enter necessary while in Look mode? Why not display the info/options while "hovering"? And similarly for Speak mode, could at least the name be displayed?

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #946 on: August 08, 2021, 11:58:07 PM »

Something I never expected in ProcGen. Cool!

Thanks Schrompf, I'm so glad you like them!

I've played it a little with Wine. Quite impressive. A few comments:
- Loading times were long (probably Wine-related, e.g. if you make lots of unbuffered reads; saving and offloading were fast, though)
- Encyclopedia doesn't select the topic where you left off (could help esp. with Controls). Also applicable to Options.
- No conversation history? I happened to select a culture with 6-syllable names that all looked similar to each other, couldn't remember who I'd already talked with.
- I'm not familiar with the genre, but why is Enter necessary while in Look mode? Why not display the info/options while "hovering"? And similarly for Speak mode, could at least the name be displayed?

Hey a-k-, thank you for taking the time to send this feedback.

- Loading times are an issue on Windows as well, although I do believe they are worse on Wine. This is something I'm really trying to work on, and just speeding things up in general; the game is sagging somewhat under its own weight.
- Mm, yes, good call, I'll make a note to include that.
- Similarly, good call, I'll include that soon.
- I... guess it's not necessary for you to press enter. I see the logic, I'll (again!) make a note to make that change. Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #947 on: August 09, 2021, 09:06:22 PM »

Well, as is probably obvious now, I am hard at work on 0.9, well over half-way done, and going to release this December no matter how much is done (or not!). Just posted a big update here with all the information: https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2021/08/10/0-9-urrpdate-1-the-next-release/

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #948 on: August 22, 2021, 01:56:54 PM »

WIP for treasure maps!

Top set are for the "world map" (very zoomed out, rivers, mountains), etc, bottom set for "local map" (specific tiles, e.g. on a volcano's side, inside a building, by a coast, etc)

Mete
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #949 on: August 22, 2021, 09:44:27 PM »

Wow. these maps look good!
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #950 on: August 23, 2021, 06:53:29 PM »

Wow. these maps look good!

Thanks Mete! Smiley

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #951 on: August 31, 2021, 06:42:28 AM »

I just posted a huge blog entry about generating weapons and shields over at https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2021/08/31/0-9-august-urrpdate-procedural-weapon-and-shield-generation/, here's a quick teaser:

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #952 on: August 31, 2021, 08:32:28 AM »

Those are some chonky weapons
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #953 on: August 31, 2021, 03:56:59 PM »

Those are some chonky weapons

Why thank you!

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #954 on: September 25, 2021, 06:16:16 AM »

A request for feedback!

What sort of "clock" should Ultima Ratio Regum have?

https://www.markrjohnsongames.com/2021/09/25/what-clock-should-urr-have/

nathy after dark
Level 8

Open Sourceress

View Profile WWW
« Reply #955 on: September 25, 2021, 07:38:26 AM »

I read about this in the chapter you wrote for Procedural Generation in Game Design! It was really interesting reading. Gonna follow the log now.

I noticed the images in the first post aren't visible anymore.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #956 on: September 25, 2021, 05:07:00 PM »

I read about this in the chapter you wrote for Procedural Generation in Game Design! It was really interesting reading. Gonna follow the log now.

I noticed the images in the first post aren't visible anymore.

Hey, thank you! I'm really glad you enjoyed it. And, ah, thank you for spotting. I'll update that.

Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #957 on: September 28, 2021, 05:41:29 PM »

Procedural armour generation begins! First, helmets, in low / medium / high quality. I estimate 2.2 billion permutations (excluding background colours for the soft and comfortable insides of high-quality helmets)!

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #958 on: September 29, 2021, 12:56:28 AM »

Nice!

Out of curiosity, is all of this generated on the fly from a reproducible PRNG seed, or do you have to store a ton of state in save games whenever you add feature?
Ultima Ratio Regum
Level 7

View Profile WWW
« Reply #959 on: September 29, 2021, 09:33:26 PM »

Nice!

Out of curiosity, is all of this generated on the fly from a reproducible PRNG seed, or do you have to store a ton of state in save games whenever you add feature?

Thanks! So, the above are actually just generated in a side program I use for designing the artwork and having it print out a thousand iterations to make sure they all work; I then later put it into the game itself. For myself in testing I just use new save files whenever I add a feature that requires a new save file, and for players, different versions are not compatible, and won't be for some time, if ever!

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 53
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic