Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411431 Posts in 69363 Topics- by 58416 Members - Latest Member: JamesAGreen

April 20, 2024, 03:27:21 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsArt of Crime - Psychic Detective Game
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Art of Crime - Psychic Detective Game  (Read 14952 times)
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2011, 12:54:07 PM »

I think I'm going to try alternate looks for the title. No matter what it'll be, I think it's going to help. Thanks a lot for the suggestion Smiley

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2011, 09:06:05 AM »

Just a quick message to say that a new devlog entry is on its way. I've been quite busy with a couple of projects and work lately so I haven't been able to update the game much. Thanks!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2011, 06:31:00 AM »

Yeah, sorry about double posting but I got a new job and I'm overloaded with work. I'll post the second I have some time. 

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 03:44:04 PM »

NECROMANCY!
Oh yes! After almost a year on hiatus, Art of Crime is back and kicking. 2012 was huge for me but I took some time during the holiday season to wrap a few things up. So much that now, the game has entered the beta stage.  There are still a few things to finish but the game's feature complete. So what's new since last devlog post? This:

• You can now find the drawing girl's cellphone, which contains crucial information on the case
  • You can interrogate a drawing version of the suspect, which gives a different view on the events.
  • New artworks in the convent room for more details and polish
  • General code polish and bug fixing

I'll post new screenshots soon. I'll also be starting to hunt for beta testers to catch as many bugs as possible.

Later!

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2013, 02:50:38 AM »

Nothing cheers me up more than finding an old awesome project become active again in Devlogs.

I can't wait to see those screenshots.
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2013, 08:05:46 PM »

Devlog 6

The game is back on track and all features are complete. There's still some bugs to iron out and some polish to do but the game is fully playable without major, progression-blocking issues.

Right now, I'm trying to come up with a new visual for the game's logo.

So far, the design is too busy and it really becomes hard on the eye when placed in the main menu. I'll keep searching for the right look in days to come.

The new feature I'd like to talk about is the addition of the cellphone. On the night of the attack, the drawing girl took pictures of the event with her cellphone before running off. When she was safe in the convent's room, she hid somewhere safe. By inspecting creepy drawings, you can find clues on where the cellphone lies.

Once found, you can find personal emails as well as crucial evidence of what unfolded that night.

Of course, everything isn't as easy and straight forward. You might have to work a bit in order to get access to the information. Wink In the end, the cellphone is a straight window into the drawing girl's personal life. Although it doesn't say much, the cellphone shows how she is just a simple, everyday girl.   

Thanks!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2013, 03:57:05 PM »

Devlog 7

As mentioned in a previous devlog, you can interview the girl in order to get more information on what unfolded. Of course, her side of the story is one-sided. So, using pieces of a note written by the girl, you can enter the dark world and meet the killer to get his or her side of the story.

You start by finding the torn parts of the note...

... and assemble them into something comprehensible.

Using your powers, you can enter the note and "speak" with the suspect.

Much like with the girl, he or she is not very cooperative, so you'll need to be persuasive to make him or her talk.

The information given by the suspect is different from what the girl is saying. The goal of this feature is getting to see the other side of the medal and understand how the events came to be.

The final part of development is fixing bugs and getting comments from players. Then, it'll be time for a plan of action for the release.

Thanks!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2013, 06:27:03 AM »

Nothing cheers me up more than finding an old awesome project become active again in Devlogs.

I can't wait to see those screenshots.

I'm so sorry, I forgot to reply to you in my previous posts! Thanks for posting, I'll be posting more screenshots this week. Anything I've talked about you'd like to see? Thanks!

Alex Higgins
Level 2

@alchiggins on Twitter

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2013, 06:41:10 AM »

Just saw this thread for the first time; love the concept, and the art is really, really good. I look forward to playing this one.

My Dev Blog! >  Sassy Echidna Software
WIP >  Monsterpunk
Latest Game >  Bloodjak
Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2013, 05:45:05 PM »

Just saw this thread for the first time; love the concept, and the art is really, really good. I look forward to playing this one.

Nice! Thanks!
On development side, I sent out a few builds to a couple of beta testers and a few bugs popped out. Luckily, nothing major, but there's a bit of work involved to iron things out. Regarding the title screen, I haven't found a fitting visual yet, but I can't say I've been trying that much these past few days.

Thanks!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2013, 05:09:43 AM »

Let's start this post with a screenshot:

This is taken in the drawings of the street. All drawings are linked to this environment where all sorts of things come to life.

On development side, I've encountered one nasty bug, which I luckily fixed, and I've been tweaking and polishing a few things regarding the interviews.  I also go some good feedback from some testers, so I'll be polishing up the flow and ergonomics of the game. Within a few weeks, I should have a fully working public beta.

Thanks and take care!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2013, 06:24:45 PM »

With more closed beta testing, I've been busy polishing up some bugs and clarity issues. Things are going pretty well. I'll be posting new updates this week.  Gentleman

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2013, 06:27:05 PM »

Ooo. Just saw this. This looks great!

I especially like the art style.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 03:54:08 AM »

Thanks! It's much appreciated!  Gentleman

On dev side, I've been smoothing out the experience as much as possible. I've been getting less feedback and the bug list has been decreasing faster than the rate at which new bugs are found, so, Yay! Wink

There still something bothering me with the title though. It's like the name "art of crime" never grew on me. So I'm starting to do these little brainstorm on what angle the title should take, what it should convey, etc. I thought "The Witness" could be nice, but, Jonathan Blow already snatched it for his upcoming game Wink

So that's what's going on right now for this project. Once I wrap up a few more bugs, I'll have to start working on a new launch plan and some promo stuff.

Thanks!  Gentleman

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2013, 06:29:04 PM »

Unfortunately, I've caught up in crunch time at work and I have not been able to touch the game much. I'm still tossing ideas around for the title, which I hope to find within the next few days.

Cheers!  Gentleman

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2013, 06:38:40 AM »

This week's been a little more productive. I've reviewed the convent room  to better tell the story of the game. I added a few more details, which not only tells a little bit more about the background setting, but also helps teach how the game is played.

I've also added greetings in the interviews so that conversations feel a lot more natural. It's the kind of late addition that make you go "why didn't I do that from the start?" Smiley

Thanks!  Gentleman

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2013, 05:12:51 PM »

The game is nearing completion. I'm currently working on the ending, which I'm pretty satisfied with so far. I hope to post new stuff in the next 2 weeks.  Gentleman

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: June 04, 2013, 04:13:40 PM »

After a long while, the game is finally complete. It underwent a lot of tweaks, changes, bug fixing and even title review, but it is now at a state that I'm satisfied with.

The game will be released as freeware this summer. For all details, please see the TIGS Feedback thread. Thanks!

pluckyporcupine
Level 9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 04, 2013, 04:15:14 PM »

Awesome! Been waiting to try this out. I'll give it a shot later tonight!

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2013, 08:07:25 AM »

Nice! Thanks a bunch! And sorry for the delay Wink  Gentleman

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic