Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411279 Posts in 69323 Topics- by 58380 Members - Latest Member: bob1029

March 28, 2024, 04:45:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsQuickDungeons
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: QuickDungeons  (Read 2614 times)
Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »

Welcome to the DevLog of
QuickDungeons

Herotale QuickDungeons is a roguelike/platformer hybrid in development by me and some friends. I'm TRYING to post an update every day week until we I get something worth publishing done.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 07:29:56 AM by Magnega » Logged

I can haz XNA Game studio?

Twitter: @Magnega
Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 09:15:28 AM »

Day 1 - Eating moss since today

We haven't gotten to adding much gameplay yet, as we mainly did planning until this. But we did add some visuals. So, added things:

-Some tiles.
-A puny little creature currently called moss eater (on a tile):

Well, that wasn't much. And everything is WIP. Gonna try and get some gameplay done tomorrow, and something more to show you.

Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 06:56:09 AM »

@xoorath Right, introducing the team. Planned to do that yesterday, but kinda forgot. So, here goes everyone:

K-E "Magnega" Paananen, coding, graphics, designing, planning, idea, project management and this devlog.
Gravik, graphics and some ideas and planning.
TheMiroM, graphics and some sound, ideas and planning.
Clade "TheCladeL" Lintunen, sound and music.

grayfox88
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 08:09:53 AM »

Good luck! Are you working in XNA for this? What are your target platforms? Keep the daily devlogs comin!

Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 09:11:36 AM »

Day 2 - Looking good

@grayfox88 We're not working with XNA, as I'm still trying to learn it, and I'm studying it as a "side project", with HeroTale as my main mission. Currently we're using GML, which is good enough for smaller 2D projects like this. Aiming for PC, haven't even thought about making this multiplatform. Maybe I should. Zero experience with that though.

Started working on the actual gameplay of the game, not really playable yet though. But as I promised I'd have something to show today, I ain't gonna break my promise. Here's something:

There you see our current little hero, still unnamed, having a staring contest with a moss eater. Currently working on the character movement and equip system. You will only be able to change weapons and something else (Hats? Accessories?), as we're trying to keep it pretty simple for the RPG-side. Also, some kind of simple skill point system and simple magic system are coming, more details we'll get later. Kinda trying to create an easy-to-learn but deep smooth mix of roguelike and platformer. Oh right, of course, perma-death.
I'm gonna travel away from home for some days, but I'll ask for Gravik or TheCladeL to keep posting if I can't. See you after some days.

Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2011, 10:13:08 AM »

Day 3 - Nothing to see here

Warning: I'm tired and writing this on my iPhone, so expect autocorrect fails.

So now I'm about 350km away from my computer, and nothing is probadly getting done until I get home on tuesday. I think I'll ask Gravik to post tomorrow and the day after that, as I don't have any idea about what's going on with anything, if anything is even going on. So this feel do much like a filler post I'm not even gonna write more than this. See you on tuesday!

Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2011, 10:02:28 AM »

Day 4 - Small information bump

Still far away from my computer and unable to post pictures or videos, but I still can write, so here comes a long post about what we're planning on doing. So this is a hybrid of roguelikes and platformers, both of which I love, that we're doing on our free time for fun. That means this is going to take time. But about the game, the idea is to make a little game you can play a match or two sometimes when you are bored or waiting for something, or even better, get addicted to. We're also planning to make a multiplayer co-op for the situations where you are bored with your friends. The game is about a mute guy who finds an entrance to a temple/dungeon in a forest, and without more thinking decides to jump in.

The gameplay is mainly about defeating monsters in many ways(including but not limited to throwing them into pits, setting them on fire and stabbing them with a stick), collecting treasures, leveling up and dying in many ways(including but not limited to getting thrown into pits, burning to death and exploding). We have no idea about when the game is going to be done, as we have to focus on getting something done. The game is going to be for PC and... possibly something else?  Shrug

Thanks for reading, hope to see you here again!

(We'd appreciate feedback. Even on the ideas.(Sorry for teh bad grammar))

Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 10:36:54 AM »

Day 5 - Pointless post number 3

Still away from my computer, so really nothing to post about. But I said I'd post every day, and I'm gonna post every day! Okay, now something to post about... Yes, the magic system! Or the way we have planned the magic system to be, as it's not even near to ready! Yet! So, you have spell slots. You can find scrolls in chests, and when you read the scrolls, the spell in them appears in one of your spell slots and the scroll crumbles to dust. That crumbles to dust part is totally not overused. Maybe we'll invent some cooler way for it to magically disappear. Back to the topic! So, when you level up, if you choose to raise magic you get one more spell slot. You can assign spells from your spell slots to some buttons for use in action. You will not be able to delete spells from your spell slots (without some kind of special item), but you will be able to combine two spells from your spells slots to make one. This is used to clean space from the spell slots and to, well, learn new spells. The combination spells will usually be more powerful than the ones they were created from, but they will also take more mana to use.

Going back home tomorrow. Actual things coming then, see you.

Right, sorry for my bad english.

Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 10:31:48 AM »

Day 6 - Tomorrow something, I promise

Nothing but traveling today, so here's another pointless post. Durr...? Expect for some minor tweaks to the character. No pics today, bigger post coming tomorrow.

Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 08:04:06 AM »

Hello, I'm back. The development of HeroTale halted because of laziness, but I started it again. Again. So I'll move to weekly posts about the situation, so I won't end up using more time on posting here than on the actual game. See you next week, hopefully with some news. And pictures.

Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 07:27:17 AM »

Hello. So, crap happens. It seems everyone but me got bored to the development of HeroTale, so now I'm here alone. But I still love the idea of platformer/roguelike-hybrid so I'm not done before the game is done. I started coding a new version two days ago, and now I have fail of a level generator with bridges. And stone houses. And from now on, the game will be called QuickDungeons. As a workname. See you soon. I'm gonna disappear now.  Ninja

Never give up hope. THIS GAME WILL NOT DIE.

Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2012, 04:57:00 AM »

QuickDungeons Post 1 - Nearly possible

The level generator actually generates some kind of levels now, even though only about one out of three is possible, and still really buggy. See picture above. The game is "playable", but you can only run around and jump awkwardly. All graphics are placeholder/WIP. But still. It's a game, you can play it. Or actually, I can play it. Tomorrow gonna try and get the map generator generate possible maps.

Magnega
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 04:30:54 AM »

QuickDungeons Post 2 - Burnin' snails

Hello. Lots of stuff happen. And I am back again. Everything has been scrapped (again), and now I found myself in a dungeon burning snails with a flamethrower that I am not holding.

The game currently includes:
-8 Randomly placed rooms
-A flamethrower
-Working health
-Snails with working health and an idiot AI
-Trampolines
-Experience that doesn't do anything
-Spikes that hurt
-Awful placeholder graphics

I shall now go make more rooms and a shop for weapons.

Squid Party
Level 5

Oh hi mark.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 08:23:26 AM »

I feel sorry for you dude, I know how it feels to lose collaborators Sad

[img]http://i1170.photobucket.com/albums/r527/Daniel_Sharman/areyouonyourperiod.gif[img/]
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic