Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 02:36:28 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessCan I get sued for copying gameplay and rules from a game?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Can I get sued for copying gameplay and rules from a game?  (Read 881 times)
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« on: October 13, 2011, 01:56:23 PM »

Well, the answer is yes.
I was told I can get sued for practically any reason, and I will have to pay a lot of money to defend myself whether the law suit is justified or not.
The game I am working on is Fatal Wars 2.
It's very like Archon in the sense it has the similar rules and similar board. The art work and many small details like stats are different, but still it's pretty similar.
A) If I get sued, what does that mean for me? In financial terms and in legal terms.
B) How much similar\different a game can be?
C) What would you do?
D) Do you think it's possible for me to license the Archon franchise? Heh

You can view my game at:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/fatal-wars-2

Master of all trades.
Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 02:10:17 PM »

If the game's copyrighted, sure you can get sued. That being said, I think if you're game's not-for-profit, you're okay (don't quote me on that). In any case, games have always been made by taking something great from other games and making it your own. There's obviously a line between love for a game and blatant copying - where do you think your game falls? I can't really tell how similar your game is, but as long as you're honest in your intentions, you should be fine.
Sorry for not offering any actual legal advice, if that's what you were looking for. But as for C, I'd just publicly state that the game was "Inspired by X". As long as it's not a total ripoff, you'll be fine. So, as long as you make it for the love and not the money, I'd say you're okay. Once again, don't quote me on that.

Player 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »

Actually, yes. Squaresoft holds a copyright on their action-based-turn-based battle system from FF4+. Regardless of profit (or lack of), it is possible to be sued. I'd recommend trying to change the rules a little more drastically.
PompiPompi
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 02:33:36 PM »

Well, actually this topic can be closed, I have found my resolution. Will talk about it later maybe, if it works. Smiley
Thanks for the advice!

Master of all trades.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic